Reload this Page >

Advice on wanting to move to NZ

Advice on wanting to move to NZ

Old Apr 9th 2012, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

lesleyj77 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice on wanting to move to NZ

Hi Guys,

I am new to expats, and this is my first post. I apologize if these questions have been asked before.

Myself and my husband would love to move to NZ. We both have family there, but not the right kind for them to sponsor us. The problem being, is everytime i go to the NZ immigration website and use the point system, it shows we dont have enough. Which is the case, but i am confused about my degree that i am currently studying and my husbands driving experience.

I am currently in my 2nd year of studying countryside management, hoping to get at least a 3 yr degree in it, but i dont know if this covered in the shortfall list. The course consists of, conservation units, ecology units, woodland, interpretation... to name the main ones. which i know some of these fall in the short fall list, but i dont know if i can say yes to this. I also do volunteering work with animals for conservation reasons as well.
My husband has an HGV licence in UK, class 2. I have tried to find out what that is in NZ but unable to. Does anyone know if this is enough for him to apply for HGV jobs or will he be better getting the class 1.Also my husbands cousin has said he would give my husband a job in NZ as he has his own company, but i am not sure it would be as easy as that.

Sorry if this is all sounding very confusing. Its just that it is a dream of ours to move to NZ but we just have no idea where we can go for help to see if it is a possibility that we will be able to move. I really do hope that my degree is good enough to help us.

Thanks for your help, any information is greatly appricated.
Lesley
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice on wanting to move to NZ

Originally Posted by lesleyj77
Hi Guys,

I am new to expats, and this is my first post. I apologize if these questions have been asked before.

Myself and my husband would love to move to NZ. We both have family there, but not the right kind for them to sponsor us. The problem being, is everytime i go to the NZ immigration website and use the point system, it shows we dont have enough. Which is the case, but i am confused about my degree that i am currently studying and my husbands driving experience.

I am currently in my 2nd year of studying countryside management, hoping to get at least a 3 yr degree in it, but i dont know if this covered in the shortfall list. The course consists of, conservation units, ecology units, woodland, interpretation... to name the main ones. which i know some of these fall in the short fall list, but i dont know if i can say yes to this. I also do volunteering work with animals for conservation reasons as well.
My husband has an HGV licence in UK, class 2. I have tried to find out what that is in NZ but unable to. Does anyone know if this is enough for him to apply for HGV jobs or will he be better getting the class 1.Also my husbands cousin has said he would give my husband a job in NZ as he has his own company, but i am not sure it would be as easy as that.

Sorry if this is all sounding very confusing. Its just that it is a dream of ours to move to NZ but we just have no idea where we can go for help to see if it is a possibility that we will be able to move. I really do hope that my degree is good enough to help us.

Thanks for your help, any information is greatly appricated.
Lesley
hi class 2 in uk is class 4 in newzealand, and unfortunately HGV is not on skills list or shortage, since the recession started they are trying to give more jobs to kiwis rather than people overseas, i am having the same problem with nz immigration that on my job offer they will only give me a one year visa, and it wont lead to PR

hope this helps not sure about your side of things someone who knows more than me will be along later
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

lesleyj77 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for letting me know about the classes... At least i know where we stand with that.

Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Try approaching this company. I know the mechanical manager(or whatever he's job title is) and he has said that they are always looking for drivers.
It's worth a try they might offer you a job if you can get here, it's worth a try.

http://www.swansontransport.co.nz/Why_STL.php

Last edited by julesnye; Apr 10th 2012 at 10:53 pm. Reason: forgot the link
Old Apr 12th 2012, 12:11 pm
Just Joined

JamesAlex is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

You would get additional points for a job offer and also for relative (think cousin qualifies?) I think you would need to wait until you pass your degree as this would be also a points boost too.

Jamie
Old Apr 12th 2012, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesAlex
Hi!

You would get additional points for a job offer and also for relative (think cousin qualifies?) I think you would need to wait until you pass your degree as this would be also a points boost too.

Jamie
Nope, cousin doesn't count, nor Uncle or Aunt. Has to be first blood
Old Apr 15th 2012, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of

Don't come - go to Australia instead. You can easily visit NZ for holidays etc. - it certainly is a beautiful country but much better career prospects & standard of living in Australa IMHO and that of tens of thousands of NZ'ers who are exodusing the country annually
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:09 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbledore
Don't come - go to Australia instead.
Whilst I don't whole heartly agree, I do agree

I've a mate who's just made the leap to the mines, and they are not mines like back home, they are just bloody great big holes in the ground; he's a dumb arse digger driver and they let him in and pay him more than I get as a skilled worker over here, (as he is constantly reminding me)

I've have a big think about it if I were you
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I am currently in my 2nd year of studying countryside management, hoping to get at least a 3 yr degree in it, but i dont know if this covered in the shortfall list. The course consists of, conservation units, ecology units, woodland, interpretation... to name the main ones. which i know some of these fall in the short fall list, but i dont know if i can say yes to this
You would need to check on the recognised qualifications listings. If not there, you would need an NZQA assessment for this degree.

A job offer would boost your application and points. There is a need for forestry management etc but that comes with having work experience etc.

Your OH as a HGV driver can be converted. HGV is always in immediate shortage here. Read HERE
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Whilst I don't whole heartly agree, I do agree

I've a mate who's just made the leap to the mines, and they are not mines like back home, they are just bloody great big holes in the ground; he's a dumb arse digger driver and they let him in and pay him more than I get as a skilled worker over here, (as he is constantly reminding me)

I've have a big think about it if I were you

Is he a Kiwi or does he have oz PR? He may be a dumbass digger driver but those mines arent a playground, it's very hard work and can be quite dangerous hence the very good wages. Good work for a single guy though
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:05 pm
Just Joined

JamesAlex is an unknown quantity at this point

EAST Coast looks a little dodgy with the severe floods too! Thought the mines were all shut down a few months ago? I would have thought going to Oz would be the choice if you were more concerned about better career/salary but then again OH has been offered NZ midwifery job and salary is £5k better with exchange rate!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:11 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Stacey, he's a taff, through and through, and in comparison to deep mining, (like we do in Europe), mining in Aussie is a doddal. (ask any 'miner' if they'd rather work a 3 foot seem or in a open hole in the ground. But you are right it's not a playground, any heavy industry sector isn't.

The wages are more related to the distance from anything, the fly in fly out and the long hours 12 on 12 off, 4 weeks on 2 off.

And he is a dumb arse digger driver - even he'd tell you that!

He's on PR by the way
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond reputescottishstacey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkie down under
Stacey, he's a taff, through and through, and in comparison to deep mining, (like we do in Europe), mining in Aussie is a doddal. (ask any 'miner' if they'd rather work a 3 foot seem or in a open hole in the ground. But you are right it's not a playground, any heavy industry sector isn't.

The wages are more related to the distance from anything, the fly in fly out and the long hours 12 on 12 off, 4 weeks on 2 off.

And he is a dumb arse digger driver - even he'd tell you that!

He's on PR by the way
Lol i call dave a dumb arse digger driver all the time so wasnt offended or anything like that! We tried to get into oz in the mines for a whole year but couldnt get in because his job isnt on the list. We've actually just heard from a company who are trying to see if they can get a labour agreement to sponsor digger drivers, might be a while before we find out if they've been accepted or not so bit of a dilemma about wether to wait here or to accept the job in christchurch and move in july. it's not in the mines though.

Your right about the distance though, its hard going on families but i guess the money makes up for it for some people. Dave works away in Oban for two weeks at a time, 12 hour shifts for a measly money although he gets double time at weekend. Im used to him working away all the time now.