Reload this Page >

Advice on undergraduate/Masters degrees please

Advice on undergraduate/Masters degrees please

Old Mar 25th 2017, 11:00 am
Just Joined

bg52tc is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Advice on undergraduate/Masters degrees please

Hello,

I'm a new user of this website. I'm thinking of moving to New Zealand one day. It has been on my mind for a year and half. I want to improve my chance of moving there in the future.

I'm 24, from the UK and have a Criminology degree. I graduated last year with 2:1. I would like your advice on which degrees (undergraduate or Masters) would be useful to study and be useful to New Zealand. This will be backed up by work experience in the next few years. I'm keeping my options open and looking for courses to study this year. Any advice would be appreciated as I would love to achieve this long term goal.

Thank you for your time.
Old Mar 26th 2017, 4:19 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on undergraduate/Masters degrees please

Hi and Welcome to BE.

firstly I don't think anyone would be able to tell you this as skills come and go on the skills list. So as a life choice I would study something you want to do in an area you want to work.
Old Mar 27th 2017, 9:03 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on undergraduate/Masters degrees please

Originally Posted by bg52tc
Hello,

I'm a new user of this website. I'm thinking of moving to New Zealand one day. It has been on my mind for a year and half. I want to improve my chance of moving there in the future.

I'm 24, from the UK and have a Criminology degree. I graduated last year with 2:1. I would like your advice on which degrees (undergraduate or Masters) would be useful to study and be useful to New Zealand. This will be backed up by work experience in the next few years. I'm keeping my options open and looking for courses to study this year. Any advice would be appreciated as I would love to achieve this long term goal.

Thank you for your time.
Hi there

Criminology degrees in NZ are very popular, usually studied as a conjoint with Sociology, with a number of graduates entering the criminal justice system in a variety of posts. Competition for posts will be quite strong when you consider how highly qualified a lot of the younger generation are here as higher education is very accessible, through to doctoral degrees.

I think that you should consider what line of work really interests you and pursue that. I would suggest that you don't merely limit your study options to what may or may not get you into NZ - as these boundaries are very flexible and change throughout the year(s).

If you pursue criminology, you can always lecture, but you would need to do an MA & PhD to be able to do that in NZ. Also remember that in some instances NZ universities can block you progressing in your chosen subject area as your undergrad was not NZ focused. This happened to me, I have a BSc (Hons) in Social Policy from a UK university but the University of Auckland wouldn't accept my application (despite first class honours) as there was no NZ specific focus and so I opted for Sociology postgrad - which has been wonderful and I am now a lecturer.

Hope that helps. Good luck!