British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice on seeking work from the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-seeking-work-uk-923405/)

thestanlows Mar 20th 2019 7:50 pm

Advice on seeking work from the UK

Hi everyone,
We're a couple in our mid 30's in the UK without children, looking to move to NZ. Mr Stanlow is on the skills shortage list so shouldn't have too much problem seeking work, but it's a little trickier for me. I am a Senior Manager in the non-profit/charity sector and have spent a long time working my way up the ladder at various organisations.My work is really important to me and I want to stay in this sector. We would really like me to secure a job offer, first as it should be relatively easy for Mr Stanlow to find work once I have a job. We're worried about moving to NZ on a job offer for him and then me not being able to get a suitable job.

We've spoken to an Immigration adviser who said I should try to seek work from the UK and that they could assist with this and do a letter of support for me. This service cost about 2K. We'd like some advice/feedback on the following:

-Has anyone used a service like this to seek work from the UK? If so, did it help? Was it worth the money?
-Would love some advice from anyone not on the skills shortage list on seeking work from the UK
-Does anyone have any experience as to whether NZ companies are open to employing people from the UK
Any friendly advice would be much appreciated :)

Catchafire Mar 20th 2019 9:07 pm

Re: Advice on seeking work from the UK

Hi and welcome.

Best wait until you are here, TBH.

If your husband is the main work visa applicant, make sure he puts your name on the form (lol) as well, cause you will get one as well. Then you can apply for any job you want (more or less).

Justcol Mar 21st 2019 4:16 am

If you OH is on the shortage list then he should be the main applicant and you would be listed as his Mrs and would also get a Visa.

janiejones Mar 21st 2019 8:39 am

Hi,
my DH was in a similar situation to yours, he was the policy manager for a national charity. He found that there was fewer choice of organisations, so he took a role in the public sector. If your husband is on the shortage list, see if he can get a job offer in one of the three main centres, as that will give you a better pool of organisations to contact.

chc4me Mar 22nd 2019 1:25 am

Originally Posted by thestanlows (Post 12657153)
Hi everyone,
I am a Senior Manager in the non-profit/charity sector and have spent a long time working my way up the ladder at various organisations.My work is really important to me and I want to stay in this sector. We would really like me to secure a job offer, first as it should be relatively easy for Mr Stanlow to find work once I have a job. We're worried about moving to NZ on a job offer for him and then me not being able to get a suitable job.

We've spoken to an Immigration adviser who said I should try to seek work from the UK and that they could assist with this and do a letter of support for me. This service cost about 2K. We'd like some advice/feedback on the following:

Good advice from Catchafire.
For your own employment, as you know what sector you want to work in, and most likely the type of companies you want to work with, then I'd say approach them directly and start a conversation. You can also look up the Charities Register to check their credentials.
Best wishes.