British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice for a Scot please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-scot-please-777399/)

thebhoy Nov 12th 2012 3:55 pm

Advice for a Scot please!

Hey!

I am a young 23 year old Scot, living in Glasgow. I currently work as a Prison Officer and want to apply to work in New Zealand. I know the requirements etc. Is a $47000 a year wage enought to live on for a single person in Auckland or surrounding areas. I know the cost of living is expensive there so was wondering if it is liveable on that wage. Any one have any advice, experience?

Robbie

waikatoguy Nov 12th 2012 6:11 pm

Re: Advice for a Scot please!

Well, $47k is just short of the average wage. So yes, there are plenty of people that do that in Auckland and live to a ripe old age to tell the tale.
But it's sort of like one of those 'how long is a piece of string' type things. One persons expectations of 'enough' is different to another persons. For me, personally, I'd be able to do it (quite comfortably), living as a single person.
How comfortable you will be with it depends mostly on your living arrangements, I think. Will you be flatting with others (cheaper)? Or living in your own place (more expensive)? Will you be living in Auckland central, out in the suburbs, or more rural? Will you be living in a 2 bedroom place or a bed-sit? Whatever you choose will determine how much you have left over at the end of the week for other stuff. I guess thats kind of obvious.

Robbie2010 Nov 12th 2012 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by thebhoy (Post 10378531)
Hey!

I am a young 23 year old Scot, living in Glasgow. I currently work as a Prison Officer and want to apply to work in New Zealand. I know the requirements etc. Is a $47000 a year wage enought to live on for a single person in Auckland or surrounding areas. I know the cost of living is expensive there so was wondering if it is liveable on that wage. Any one have any advice, experience?

Robbie

Does it have to be Auckland? Plenty of jobs in Corrections if you still fancy that.

http://corrections.nga.net.nz/cp/?audiencetypecode=EXT

$47,000 is about what they get after initial training going up to $55,000 ... and Corrections Officers seem to survive on that.

MrsFychan Nov 12th 2012 9:44 pm

Welcome Robbie, firstly you need to see if you can get a visa to come and work here.
From a quick look I couldn't find prison/corrections officer on the shortage lists but someone might be able to find something similar on there.?
another option would be to get a job from an accredited company, again not sure if corrections/prison officers are listed on accredited list either. someone might be able to point you in the right direction for that.

Caz8NZ Nov 12th 2012 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by thebhoy (Post 10378531)
Hey!

Robbie

if you can get a visa. Yes it is enough. but as Waikato guy says - depends on what your requirements are for standard of living. I'm assuming you'd be on for flat/house sharing - costs range anywhere from $150 a week to $250 a week for a room in a shared House in Auckland. Some includes bills - some dont. Average cost of bills to allow for is $30 a week. The rooms at $150 a week will be fine - but obviously you will be comprising in either size/location/condition.

Going out is expensive - beers average about $8-10 +
If you smoke - thats $20 a pack and likely to increase
Food can be expensive to eat out. Can be expensive to buy in - but depends on what you like to cook/eat and what your tastes are.

BEVS Nov 12th 2012 11:04 pm

Dept of Corrections is an NZIS accredited employer Mrs F . So, the dept is free to offer the overseas prison officer a job offer provided said officer has 4 years experience under their belt.

Dept of Corrections

Hi the bhoy and welcome to this BE NZ forum.

MrsFychan Nov 12th 2012 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10379231)
Dept of Corrections is an NZIS accredited employer Mrs F . So, the dept is free to offer the overseas prison officer a job offer provided said officer has 4 years experience under their belt.

Dept of Corrections

see said someone would be there to point in the right direction :thumbsup:

thebhoy Nov 13th 2012 4:38 am

Thanks for the replys! I've had more advice on here than other forums. I can apply in under two years I've got almost 2 and a few months service. Yeah I would look at other areas apart from Auckland. I hope they are still recruiting when I can apply! Ive seen that Auckland is one of the expensive parts to live?

BEVS Nov 13th 2012 4:42 am

Originally Posted by thebhoy (Post 10379611)
Thanks for the replys! I've had more advice on here than other forums. I can apply in under two years I've got almost 2 and a few months service. Yeah I would look at other areas apart from Auckland. I hope they are still recruiting when I can apply! Ive seen that Auckland is one of the expensive parts to live?

I emigrated in 2004. We started looking in 2002/3. Found an NZ forum/board in 2003.
In all that time Corrections has been an accredited employer. I think you'll be good to go.

What sort of stuff do you like doing.

The South Island is also pretty darn good you know. :nod:

Caz8NZ Nov 13th 2012 4:43 am

a helpful bunch on here! I have just had a thought - have you thought about coming out here on a working holiday visa first before spending all that money on visa's and emigrating?

Its a big jump to take - and costs a lot and is a lot of work - you are young enough to do it an easier way to try it out first :-)

Auckland being one of the most expensive places to live is debatable - and has been debated on here many times. Most people find that accommodation is more expensive in Auckland and Wellington than other areas. But costs can be higher on food and heating bills in other parts of NZ. Its a bit of half a dozen of one, 6 of the other.

BEVS Nov 13th 2012 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10379617)
I have just had a thought - have you thought about coming out here on a working holiday visa first before spending all that money on visa's and emigrating?

You read my mind Caz :nod:

Robbie2010 Nov 13th 2012 8:21 am

........ I hope they are still recruiting when I can apply! ........

There is always a good turnover of staff at Corrections .... read into that what you will.

BEVS Nov 13th 2012 8:25 am

Originally Posted by Robbie2010 (Post 10379900)
There is always a good turnover of staff at Corrections .... read into that what you will.

Fun :sneaky:

thebhoy Nov 13th 2012 9:15 pm

Is there any threads of Prison Officers on here? There is apparently a high turn over because alot of staff relocate to Australia. There has been fellow Officers from Scotland who have moved to New Zealand and then been promoted pretty fast. I would imagine if you can get as much courses and experience when working as an officer the better. It's not all opening and closing doors. I know the New Zealand is pretty backwards compared to the Scottish service, skills and experience from my service should be of value to the New Zealand service.

Robbie2010 Nov 14th 2012 12:11 am

Quite a few Brit officers joined Corrections, some left for other work as they became disillusioned with NZ prisons.

Whatever your experience ... things will be done the NZ way.

Prisoners are easy ... Its staff and management that are the problem.