Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice please on what to do about my house!

Advice please on what to do about my house!

Old Jun 17th 2012, 8:22 am
Just Joined

bevf08 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice please on what to do about my house!

We moved to NZ in 2006 and put our house in Southampton on the market. It was up for sale for a year and only got a couple of silly offers. So we had to withdraw it from sale and rent it out. It took us a couple of months to find tenants through a local agency and have only had about a month when the property was empty between tenants.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 08' I had mine up for week before I left the UK, and an offer at asking price straightaway, sadly they couldn't sell their's and pulled out a few months later. It then took another 10months to get a sale, significantly less, but still with GBP trading at a decent $2.85 still, it was a reasonable offer in stale market.

A few months later, when finally exchanged contracts and settlement time GBP was at $2.30, do I wish I moved the money at that rate now!! Instead it's in a UK bank account earning virtually zero interest and GBP again below $2. Sometimes I'd wished I rented it.

Other thing to think renting it though is any CGT implications, once you've rented it for a period of time (forget what it is) any gain becomes liable to CGT - it's pro rated, no account of the fact that rental period may have coincided with a declining or flat property market.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:06 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

We rent out for the same reason....property will always climb in value and money in a UK bank is stagnent cash!
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:03 am
Banned

mike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nice

U K Real Estate Is Overvalued, 30% Countrywide To 50% Within London according to economists as reported in the NYJ.

That's why you are not getting any viewings.

Drop the price, a house is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
We rent out for the same reason....property will always climb in value and money in a UK bank is stagnent cash!
Property won't always climb, depends when you bought and how long you want to wait.

Each property as a market value at a point in time, as the prev poster says drop the price to it, and someone will buy. Price above and it will be a long wait for a buyer.

Certainly money in a UK bank is stagnant and declining cash though.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Trish M
I'm just waiting for my police checks to come through before applying for professional registration and then obviously look for a job.
However my house is on the market and I'm not getting any viewings at all.

My parents have said that if I get a job offer I should go for it and they will sort out selling my house. That's all well and good but I still have a mortgage to pay plus rent in NZ.

I have considered renting it out but I know of numerous people who have been well & truly shafted by their tenants - house totally trashed, bogus references, all fittings ripped out etc. Unsurprisingly these stories put me off renting it out! There's also the faff of getting a buy to let mortgage and sorting tax out etc

Does anybody here rent out their house in UK and use lettings agents? If so, what fees do they charge?

Ideally I just want to sell my house and get rid before I go to NZ but I don't want to virtually give it away either especially as the exchange rate is so dire! Also I've noticed that the number of jobs vacancies seem to be in decline and I don't want to still be here in UK because of my house when my skill disappears from the LTSSL!!
I've not read through all the replies...I know I should!

We rent our house our in the UK. I think a lot of sales depend on where your house is as that has a LOT to do with how quickly you sell.

Our reasons for renting it out were purely selfish ones...
- We needed to know that things in NZ would work out before cutting our bridges in the UK - we had paid a fair bit off our mortgage and didn`t want to have to start at the bottom of the market again if we returned.
- We also rent it out unfurnished as, according to our letting agent, if we rented it furnished we would have to make sure that everything worked corrently and pay to have it all tested to the correct safety standards (including sofas and beds) - I can`t remember the right terminology he used. We left the kitchen with 1 year old washing machine and a brand new fridge freezer - both with 5 year warranties.

We rent it out with a 10% agreement with our letting agent. There was an option for 8, 10 and 12% - the 10% agreement seemed much better value for money for us. They email us if there is ever a problem (for example the tenant broke the gas fire - proven by a gas tester - she had to pay to get it fixed). Part of the 10% agreement is a rent guarantee scheme (not insurance which costs extra) which covers us for 6 months rent if the tenant stops paying and is effective immediately whereas the insurance schemes don't kick in for a couple of months - or so I was told.

We were very lucky with our tenant. She went in to the agents the same afternoon we asked them to market it and came to view the next day and had reference checks the same day and put down the holding deposit. It didn't even make it to rightmove. I still can't believe how lucky we were.

We have 2 year work visas and will only decide then whether we plan to stay or return to Blighty - it depends which one of us you ask on which answer you get at the moment!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:54 am
Just Joined

jimjohnston247 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I think the biggest problem with renting out when away is the ability to stay on top of things from such a long distance.

Many letting agents will add you to the pile after a sales talk is done and you're in, so to speak, but not all.

The two options for most when unable to sell is use a relative/friend/agent to let it out but I think it's worth considering a few other options too.

Rent to buy is fast becoming a popular way to SELL your house and has dozens of benefits over a traditional sale most notably that you typically achieve around 100+% of today's value. Another is the fact that you'll have no repairs to pay for just your normal landlord insurance. If it's a second property you'll also save on capital gains tax which is a nice thing too.

Downsides, well you won't get paid straight away so using the funds to migrate would be a no-go.

Upside is that you typically get a guaranteed sale within weeks rather than months/years...I guess all in all there are more upsides that down.

There are plenty of other ways to sell pre and post emigration and with a degree of flexibility (most people emigrating already have that) then there are dozens of better ways of selling up instead of standard letting for sure.

Look up on google:
Lease options, rent to buy, walkaway, distance selling... to name a few.

Any questions I'm happy to answer, just post here.

Jim
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

catandpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Whatever you do try your best to sell your house!! We didn't and still have our house rented in the UK which is a total pain!! We were as you say 'shafted' by our tenants who decided they didn't want to pay rent any longer but still wanted to stay in our house!! After that very expensive fiasco we went with an agent that gives you a guaranteed yearly rental income regardless of whether the property is tenanted or not. It is below market value but worth it for peace of mind. They are called Northwood and I think they are all over the UK. The other issue with keeping your property rented in the UK which we didn't realise is that your mortgage broker may increase your interest rate - ours did by 1% (if you inform them that is - which we had to).
Also that you have to pay 'Non Residents Witholding Tax' in NZ whether you are making a profit on your rental property or not - we are not and have to pay this tax on the interest 'paid' not earned on our UK mortgage - go figure! Again this is if you decide to declare it which we have, we now have to do tax returns in both the UK and NZ. I know people who don't do this but unfortunately we got sprung with everything!
The other thing to bear in mind is that if you sell once you have been out of the Country for a certain period of time you may be liable for capital gains tax in the UK. Sorry to throw all this at you but I just wish someone had told us all of this in the beginning! Good Luck
Old Jul 5th 2012, 9:15 am
Just Joined

C4udynz is an unknown quantity at this point

Is there anywhere to advertise to expats? I made the mistake of renting out to friends.... never again!
Old Jul 6th 2012, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

SparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really niceSparkyGaz is just really nice

We are so glad that we sold up in UK before we left. It makes settling here in NZ so much easier. Family offered to manage our property if we had to rent it out, but in the end we reduced the price and it sold.

If you have had property since the boom in the late 90's, then I'm guessing you made a good profit then (our house tripled in value (1997 to 2003).
We looked at it in a philosophical way, that we weren't really losing money on a property we bought in 2008, we just didn't make as much on our first house as we first thought.

If you cant change the situation, you can always change the way you feel about it.

My point is you have to weigh up the pros and cons, and as long as you dont give your house away, then losing a bit on what you paid for it, soon gets forgotten when you are in a position to buy here.

I lost more sleep over the exchange rate to be truthful, but again it only stings for a while :-)

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 6th 2012, 10:19 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

We sold our house six weeks prior to leaving Britain last year. We did not want to rent our house out. I've read to many horror stories regarding tenants, either people you thought you knew, or thought were friends or had been vetted etc. Lazy managing agents who frankly don't care.

Rent doesn't always cover the mortgage then there is paperwork and insurance and legal liabilities. Plus being an absentee landlord sounds like a hassle. I accept not everyone is honest with their lender and/or insurance company. That remark was not aimed at anyone.

Then when it comes to selling whilst still overseas, that's a whole sheaf of liabilites too.

That's why it was easier, for us, to sell it and get rid.
Old Jul 19th 2012, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Red face Re: Advice please on what to do about my house!

Hi Trish

We're doing exactly this now. I'm renting our house out until we know for sure we like Auckland, New Zealand so we have something to come back to if needed. If you need to sell it to get the money then thats a different matter and fair enough. Use a letting agent for sure, let them manage it for you, most will charge around the 10% mark of your rental, as does ours. You need to shop around for the best mortgage a bit. I was with halifax, sacked them off they wanted to put the rate up big time. You should, as long as you don't have a fleet of property's rented out already, be able to get a consent to lease from your mortgage provider - you shouldn't have to change it to a buy to let straight away. you will 2-3-4 years down the line, but each lender is different. We went with HSBC in the end. They don't have a increment on the rate or anything, you just phone them up and they send a consent to lease form. Not that i've told them yet! DOH! As long as you pay your mortgage though they shouldn't have a reason to get in touch with anything major. Just switch your bank to online and paperless so they don't send post out that won't get to you.
When you rent it out, advertise for long term tenants, 12mths or so, but do a short term let initially of 3 to 6 months and make sure the agent knows and be clear it is so if you get a rogue renter you can boot them out after a short period of time rather than waiting until your place is proper wrecked. Your agency will do all the background checks, you should also get insurance against your rental income through them for the first 6 months to protect you a bit.

Anyway hope that makes sense, if you want further help just drop a line.

Phil
Old Jul 20th 2012, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Philzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nicePhilzbub is just really nice
Wink Re: Advice please on what to do about my house!

Originally Posted by bambiegirl
Would the letting agent require the "consent to lease" form to show the tenant in order to let the property or you just obtain it because you are afraid that the bank catch you for letting out the property?
No they wouldn't to see it. On their paperwork it will just advise you to let your mortgage provider know you are renting otherwise you could be in breach of your mortgage conditions blah blah blah! :-) you will need landlords insurance though, have you got that sorted? I got some quotes the other day on a couple of well known comparison websites and went on the direct line website, and direct lines quote came out much cheaper!

Have fun!
Phil