Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice please short term move to Auckland

Advice please short term move to Auckland

Old Jun 17th 2006, 11:04 am
Just Joined

Christopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really niceChristopher is just really nice
Default Advice please short term move to Auckland

Hello

I am looking to spend time with my sister who moved her life to Auckland
two plus years ago while I manage to relocate to Chicago joining my girlfriend. This has been a recent decision on realising that the chances to visit Auckland for an extended stay in the future will be a problem with holidays etc so I wish to make the most of the opportunity now during the transition.

Therefore I am looking to utilise this period of time finding employment in Auckland for approx 6 months while I continue to explore the opportunities available in Chicago . I am an experienced Graphic Designer creating Brand Packaging Design.

My questions are

1) As my stay is intended to be less than 12 months will my NZ Work Permit application be straightforward?

2) I can fly to Auckland earliest at the end of July, and need my passport for
the trips within Europe in the coming weeks. How long is my passport retained for? My sister suggested leaving this untill I arrived in Auckland?

3) I realise that the police Report is not required for applications under 12 months but I thought I should get this for future ref re U.S.A entry, should I think of anything else in advance?

4) Do you need a job offer to gain a work permit? (I have read info but can not find this anywhere?) Due to my situation with my sister I can travel with the possibilities of work and meet potential employers when I arrive which Is what I hope to do but I would like to have the work permit in place.

5) Can I freelance working for several design groups?

Thanks Chris
Old Jun 18th 2006, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Advice please short term move to Auckland

Originally Posted by Christopher
Hello

I am looking to spend time with my sister who moved her life to Auckland
two plus years ago while I manage to relocate to Chicago joining my girlfriend. This has been a recent decision on realising that the chances to visit Auckland for an extended stay in the future will be a problem with holidays etc so I wish to make the most of the opportunity now during the transition.

Therefore I am looking to utilise this period of time finding employment in Auckland for approx 6 months while I continue to explore the opportunities available in Chicago . I am an experienced Graphic Designer creating Brand Packaging Design.

My questions are

1) As my stay is intended to be less than 12 months will my NZ Work Permit application be straightforward?

2) I can fly to Auckland earliest at the end of July, and need my passport for
the trips within Europe in the coming weeks. How long is my passport retained for? My sister suggested leaving this untill I arrived in Auckland?

3) I realise that the police Report is not required for applications under 12 months but I thought I should get this for future ref re U.S.A entry, should I think of anything else in advance?

4) Do you need a job offer to gain a work permit? (I have read info but can not find this anywhere?) Due to my situation with my sister I can travel with the possibilities of work and meet potential employers when I arrive which Is what I hope to do but I would like to have the work permit in place.

5) Can I freelance working for several design groups?

Thanks Chris
If youre under 30 and from a country that has a working holiday visa scheme that will be your easiest option. otherwise i think you will need a job offer before you can get a work permit, difficult to get if youre only going to be working for 6 months.

look on the immigration.govt.nz website for info on working holiday visas.