Advice please re hawkes bay

Advice please re hawkes bay

Old Jan 24th 2013, 6:52 am
Just Joined

Jdavidson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice please re hawkes bay

Hi everyone,

I have been reading everyone's thoughts & comments with interest

My partner and I are 2 doctors and have been offered jobs in Hawkes Bay. We currently live on the south coast of the UK

Having visited there in dec for a few days, we really liked the area, understandably as the weather was great!

I'm planning another visit later in the year to have a closer look at housing, etc but I'm really interested to know some things from people who have or do live there,
For example

- what is havelock north like to live in?
- what are the other seasons like generally?
- is there enough to do in hawkes bay through the year?
- what is it like to raise a family in the area, is it a safe place to live?

And any other comments would be gratefully received!

Jenny
Old Jan 24th 2013, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Nick Miller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice please re hawkes bay

Hi

I am in Wellington but have visited Hawkes Bay a number of times and know people who have lived there.

Weather - mostly pretty good in any season though the talk of a "Mediterranean" climate is a bit exaggerated. It's not warm in winter.

Safety - as safe as anywhere in NZ which is pretty safe.

Stuff to do - that's where it could fall short. A work colleague of mine was there for a year and thoroughly enjoyed it but then moved to Wellington where, despite the often lousy weather, there is undoubtedly more going on. But it depends what you want to do. Napier and Hastings together form one of the largest urban centres in NZ so it's not a backwater.

Good luck - whatever you decide.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Hi J
My family lived in Napier for a year before moving down to Wellie (work reasons) If it wasn't for us having to move for new Jobs we would be still there.
Weather - last year wasn't brilliant but was always able to wear shorts. The coats and jumpers we brought from the UK stayed in the packing boxes. We only experienced one frost but you could see snow on the ranges. Friends tell us that the summer is great this year.

Havelock North - very nice Village feel, very safe, we have friends who work at the Hospital who live there and love it. Some nice housing available to rent or buy locally and only 20 mins to Ocean Beach one of the best beaches in the region. I don't now how old your children are but some very good schools both state and private.

Things to do - lots to do all year but it's not always open in winter, it's not Wellie or Auckland and even in Napier you will find no one out after eight on Saturday winters night ( it's New Zealand,) some shops just close if it's not busy. You do get some groups and shows at the theater in Napier and Hastings but if you like city life you will need to get a Wellington or Auckland fix every three months or so

Safe area - Every town has it's bad areas both Hastings and Napier have
there's with some gang patches etc but not a patch (excuse the pun) on some
UK council estates.
We love the Kapati coast but have older children who like to go into wellie for the day shopping and the like. If we hadn't been offered better jobs down here I am sure we would still be there. A Lovely place to let the kids grow up in the relaxed Kiwi style.
Old Jan 24th 2013, 4:40 pm
Just Joined

Jdavidson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi nick and skybluestu,

Thanks for your replies, good to hear from you and your experiences

I'm hoping to come over again for a longer visit in April/may so that will give me a better idea of what it's like in autumn/winter & also if there's enough to do!

We did visit ocean beach last time and it was v pretty, albeit a bit windy!

Like you say, Wellington is a bit more lively & only a short flight away

Jenny
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:10 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

I've lived in lower hawkes bay area for just over 5 years and it was GREAT. We did a bit of time in the central plateau area (cold) and now the Kapaiti (nice).

I can tell you that the east coast is warmer and sunny. Does get a bit of wind every now and then and if it is an easterly then you'll get a fair bit of rain, but not that it happens that much.

Personally speaking I think the cost of housing is cheaper, as is the council tax, Living costs slightly higher because like many other places in NZ Napier is out on it's own and that can leave you feeling a little 'left out'