Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice please - NZ Midwifery Council Registration

Advice please - NZ Midwifery Council Registration

Old Jun 24th 2014, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice please - NZ Midwifery Council Registration

Going through the process of transferring my registration over to the NZ midwifery council. I could do with some advice/points of view on a particular point, please.

So I had a seizure in April, out of the blue and likely linked to stroke I had in 2010 (no lasting effects from the stroke). As part of the registration process I have to get a medical form signed to confirm that they (the Dr) don't see any reason why I could not work as a midwife.

So, I took this form to the GP to get done and the admin lady just called to give me a heads up. The GP has filled in the form, but written that the recent seizure 'could affect my ability to work as a midwife'.

This has annoyed me somewhat as that contradicts what the neurology consultant said to me at the clinic. He said that the majority of trusts in the UK allow a return to normal duties after 3 months seizure free (I am 2 and a bit months free so far). He didn't seem to think working as a midwife would be a problem, even in the meantime, provided there was no unsupervised work (ie. working on open wards only, not in rooms on labour ward).

So, what do I do? The administrator is going to send the form the GP has filled in, and include a copy of the consultant's summary, highlighting his acknowledgement that I intend to return to work.

Should I print out another form and see if the consultant can fill it in for me? Or should I just wait and see what happens with the NZ midwifery council?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 7:08 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please - NZ Midwifery Council Registration

my first thought is, and I am not and never been a midwife, but you say you have to be be seizure free for 3mths to be able to commence working as a midwife again. From what you say, you atm have not gone 3 mths seizure free and I would assume that you would have to be signed back into work by the GP/Consultant before you can start again.
My personal thoughts would be to wait until you have been seizure free and are back working before applying to transfer.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

WhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond reputeWhatToDo82 has a reputation beyond repute

Sort of. I have to be seizure free for 3 months to return to full work. I can still work in some areas before then. I haven't been signed off in the first place. The consultant did say it's down to each Trust's Occupational Health as to when unrestricted work can recommence, normally it's 3 months.

The process for transferring registration involves many things, forms and bits of paper. I started the process a while ago and have been trudging through it. I'm not convinced that the GP would write anything different in a month's time anyway. I am seeing the neurology nurse in a couple of weeks though, so am tempted to ask her if a letter could be obtained from the consultant.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 7:37 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

yes I agree get a letter from the Consultant to clarify the situation once you have been 3mths seizure free. Have you checked to see what the requirements are for this sort of thing in NZ? maybe 3mths in UK but what about here in NZ?
Old Jun 24th 2014, 8:37 pm
Forum Regular

I haven't a clue where to go to find out. I have notified the OH equivalent at Waikato Hospital where I have been offered a job, still waiting to hear back from them. Will be 9 months by the time we get to the flexible initial start date the hospital have given me.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 9:00 pm

I have asked a couple of members to come have a look at this post, hopefully they may have more idea.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you
Old Jun 25th 2014, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I would send off an accompanying letter from your consultant if you have one. Can't hurt and might just clarify things for council here. I've worked with midwives with diagnosed epilepsy here and IME the 'rules' are pretty similar to the UK.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Lisa. I shall ask for a letter from the consultant. I guess sooner than my next appointment which isn't for another 2 weeks, and is with the nurse.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 4:22 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Advice please - NZ Midwifery Council Registration *UPDATE*

*UPDATE*

OK, so my consultant kindly wrote a letter (for free) and the NZ midwifery council have agreed to wait until mid November and then review, likely with a request for more information from my consultant at that time.

This is of course provided I remain seizure free in the meantime

Whilst this is what I had hoped they would do, worst case, it does now mean our plans have to be put back significantly. No way we're going to get everything sorted to get out there for January

I am predicting our revised timetable will see us out there around May/June/July time. Sigh. Lucky us will get two winters instead of two summers!