British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   advice please on mums car!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-please-mums-car-627991/)

Stoof Aug 28th 2009 8:58 am

advice please on mums car!!

My ma is coming over for 3 months in January... just wondering what the best thing to do with her car is... there isn't anyone to look after it for her (ie run it regularly etc) while she's away... she can park it up in the back-yard so it's off the road, but she's worried it will get damaged in some way by not being used for 3 months... you know, engine seize up or similar!!... should she disconnect the battery or something, spray the engine with wd40... i dunno?! any advice very much appreciated... she's a worrier, and i'm 12000 miles away and unable to help!! i have suggested she goes to the local garage and ask them what's best to do, but she won't!!

thanks everso!!

lardyl Aug 30th 2009 12:58 am

Re: advice please on mums car!!

How old is it and what make/model?
Can she cover it with a Tarp or cover and put it on hard standing?
I've stored an older car for long periods as part of a restoration but had mixed results........

P2L Aug 30th 2009 5:21 am

Depending on it's value and where you live, has she looked at the option of car storage?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...&oq=car+storeg

Stoof Aug 30th 2009 7:55 am

thanks both! it's a six year old corsa... i'll have a look at storage options for her, but i don't suppose it will be worth it!!

Yes, she can park it up on the hardstanding at the back of the house, and i guess halfords or somewhere similar might sell a cover-type thing... i'll have a look!

Jan n Neil Aug 30th 2009 8:09 am

Take the battery , off and leave it in the house do not put the handbrake on it shouldn,t be that cold but take the rad cap off just in case

Neil

lardyl Aug 30th 2009 9:00 am

All good - leave it in gear or chocked with the brake off.
Make sure you have a note of the radio code and any key fob codes before you get the battery off.......;)

Stoof Aug 31st 2009 8:15 am

ace... thanks you two! :thumbsup:

Matewx Aug 31st 2009 9:16 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 7888263)
Make sure you have a note of the radio code and any key fob codes before you get the battery off.......;)

I understood everyone's advise but yours lardyl... Care to elaborate?? I aint blond, just not a very technical person... :huh:

lardyl Aug 31st 2009 11:09 am

Originally Posted by Matewx (Post 7890809)
I understood everyone's advise but yours lardyl... Care to elaborate?? I aint blond, just not a very technical person... :huh:

when you disconnect the battery and reconnect it the built in radio codes often need to be re-entered (a card comes with the car with the code on it)- theft prevention. So if you don't have the code it'll cost ya to get the radio working again.
Same can happen to the immobiliser and they can be expensive/awkward to sort out, sometimes you need your vehicle registration docs to get the dealer to sort it out.
Make more sense now? :p

Matewx Aug 31st 2009 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 7891067)
when you disconnect the battery and reconnect it the built in radio codes often need to be re-entered (a card comes with the car with the code on it)- theft prevention. So if you don't have the code it'll cost ya to get the radio working again.
Same can happen to the immobiliser and they can be expensive/awkward to sort out, sometimes you need your vehicle registration docs to get the dealer to sort it out.
Make more sense now? :p

OUI! Merci!!!

I'd never heard bout this before!! lol