British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice please - Moving to NZ soon.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-please-moving-nz-soon-897004/)

shuvit May 20th 2017 6:37 pm

Advice please - Moving to NZ soon....

Hi, looking for relocation company to come next week to give us a quote for moving our worldly goods over to the Kapiti Coast towards end of October
We have a list of items what we would like to take to furnish and get the kids comfortable
But what items would you say you could not do without?
Is there anything that you would say I really shouldn't bother taking over?
Thanks in advance
Shuvit

desmondo84 May 21st 2017 8:07 am

Re: Advice please - Moving to NZ soon....

Bring everything and more. Except wardrobes. But everything else.

shuvit May 21st 2017 8:22 am

Fab, thank you Desmondo84

MrsCakey May 21st 2017 1:41 pm

We're in the same position at the moment and plan on taking pretty much everything too :)

Clappy May 22nd 2017 7:06 am

As others will say - bring everything.

I left many old and low value items behind and regretted it because it can be harder to find replacements here than you might anticipate.

shuvit May 22nd 2017 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by MrsCakey (Post 12257219)
We're in the same position at the moment and plan on taking pretty much everything too :)

It's a headache isn't it :(

shuvit May 22nd 2017 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by Clappy (Post 12257571)
As others will say - bring everything.

I left many old and low value items behind and regretted it because it can be harder to find replacements here than you might anticipate.

Thanks for the advice :o

MrsCakey May 23rd 2017 6:44 am

Originally Posted by shuvit (Post 12258024)
It's a headache isn't it :(

Massive brainache. I have thrown a load of stuff in a skip already, but pretty everything else is coming with us. I feel sorry for the packers :)

I've read that we should take white goods with us too as it is much more expensive to get here, but make sure it's a brand that will have parts in case it needs fixing.

I've been looking at items priced in NZD and the GBP equvilent to see if it's more of a saving to bring with us. So far pretty much everything is cheaper :(

Munchkjn May 24th 2017 12:03 am

Don't skip it, stick it on ebay or better still facebook for sale sites. We made 100's of pounds selling loads of random stuff right up until moving day. Even got 5 quid for a second hand brush and dustpan! People will buy any old crap.

shuvit May 24th 2017 3:15 pm

Taken advise on board, just had PSS around for quote - lets see what they say......

MrsCakey May 24th 2017 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by Munchkjn (Post 12259121)
Don't skip it, stick it on ebay or better still facebook for sale sites. We made 100's of pounds selling loads of random stuff right up until moving day. Even got 5 quid for a second hand brush and dustpan! People will buy any old crap.

I have tried to ebay and facebook a lot of stuff but there's some stuff that just needs to be thrown away :D

I'm stockpiling toys to do a massive car boot in the summer. Fingers crossed.

MrsFychan May 24th 2017 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by MrsCakey (Post 12258306)
I've been looking at items priced in NZD and the GBP equvilent to see if it's more of a saving to bring with us. So far pretty much everything is cheaper :(

please bear in mind that people are taking the costs against their earning and outgoings in NZ.

KarinaR Jul 17th 2017 9:11 am

Hi,
This is a really useful thread as my boyfriend and I are moving to Christchurch at the end of September.

Can I ask why people have said not to bring wardrobes in the container? Are wardrobes generally built-in in NZ?

Thank you!
K

Bo-Jangles Jul 17th 2017 9:24 am

Originally Posted by KarinaR (Post 12296057)
Hi,
This is a really useful thread as my boyfriend and I are moving to Christchurch at the end of September.

Can I ask why people have said not to bring wardrobes in the container? Are wardrobes generally built-in in NZ?

Thank you!
K

Most places have built in wardrobes

KarinaR Jul 17th 2017 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12296062)
Most places have built in wardrobes

Amazing - thanks! I'll cross those off the container list