Advice please

Old Sep 27th 2011, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice please

We are looking at returning to England after 5 years here.
My husband has the chance to keep his job here but do it from the UK. Anybody got any advice on pitfalls, benefits, things to consider.

Thanks

Carole
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice please

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
My husband has the chance to keep his job here but do it from the UK. Anybody got any advice on pitfalls, benefits, things to consider.

Thanks

Carole
Have you been back to England since you first came here? Would reasons you first left not still exist?
Old Sep 27th 2011, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Have you been back to England since you first came here? Would reasons you first left not still exist?
Hi Simon,

No we haven't been back, couldn't afford to. Left for a change and better weather. We would miss the weather but I don't love it enough here to stay.

Carole
Old Sep 28th 2011, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

Pensions, did you transfer your Private Pensions to NZ? If its a 'No', then please ignore. If it's a yes, seek advice as there may be advantages for you moving back to the UK. Happy to provide more information if you post a 'yes'.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chc4me
Pensions, did you transfer your Private Pensions to NZ? If its a 'No', then please ignore. If it's a yes, seek advice as there may be advantages for you moving back to the UK. Happy to provide more information if you post a 'yes'.
Thankyou, I left it there.

Its just confusing as to where we will pay tax etc. Trying to get as much help as possible.

Carole
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

You will need to pay tax in the country that you are resident, i.e. the uk. Even though your OH may be paid by a NZ company, tax will need to be paid in the UK. Do seek professional advice especially for such matters as tax. You may find that you are due a tax refund from NZ IRD if you leave part way through a tax year.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

This could be a really first class topic and one that rarely appears here, on this NZ forum, in this way.
If we can all keep this to the practicalities rather than the subjective stuff it will fare really well and be extremely useful to others. This is about Spacecake weighing the odds & doing the sums , just as when people are looking to exit UK.

Things to consider -

Have you got your citizenship because that is the only true way to ensure you can return if you wish to.

Taxation. You pay tax where you are most 'resident'. If you return , then that will be the UK. However, if you leave partway through a tax year then you may be due an NZ tax refund at tax year end, just as when you came here from the UK.

UK state pension. Will you have to 'top up' your NI payments to bring your state pension contributions up to par or will the 5 years NZ contributions count in the UK.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Simon,

No we haven't been back, couldn't afford to. Left for a change and better weather. We would miss the weather but I don't love it enough here to stay.

Carole
That's fair enough Carole, hell of an expense if you get back and decide it really was better here... what about elsewhere in NZ?
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:42 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the fluctuating exchange rate may make a big difference, especially if the rate ever makes it back to 3 to 1......
Old Sep 28th 2011, 5:48 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks

Carole
Lucky you good luck
Old Sep 28th 2011, 6:03 am
`

Originally Posted by sirplug
Don't forget the fluctuating exchange rate may make a big difference, especially if the rate ever makes it back to 3 to 1......
You are deffo havin' a larf mate. Pensions anyone.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Jordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really niceJordan Tilley is just really nice

The currency rate is definitely something to consider. 5 years ago the GBPNZD rate was at a high of 3.07. At the moment we are at 1.98. It a very favorable time to be sending funds back to the UK owing to the weaker Pound.

The NZ Dollar rate has been moving between 1.89 to 2.02 during September so it just shows you how much of an impact the exchange rate can have on the amount of Pounds you end up with.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

One thing to keep in mind is that 'home' is never quite the same. Friends have moved on or their kids have grown up, your favourite shop is a not how you remember it, and you might find yourself wishing for a good coffee made by a real barista.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:01 pm
`

Originally Posted by Jordan Tilley
The currency rate is definitely something to consider
Oh yes. See what you mean. I was thinking back to front. Silly me.
Old Sep 28th 2011, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
You are deffo havin' a larf mate. Pensions anyone.
Thanks for your advice so far.

We have wanted to move back for a while. We have a very small family and wish to spend some time with them.
We never saw much of England or Europe and I would hate not to have the chance to explore.
We have considered the exchange rate. We will be leaving our daughter here so this desicion has not been taken lightly.
My husband has been diven 5 years out of NZ if he wants it with his company, we may not get a better chance than now.
I am very aware of all that will have changed but feel I am drifting here. I know many people love it but my hearts just not in it anymore. Maybe when we sample all things England again we will decide to return.
Our options are open.

Carole