Advice please!

Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:29 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Advice please!

l

Hi everyone, I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some advice on our up and coming BIG MOVE! We are a family of 4 from Scotland, there is me, hubby, 5 yr old boy and 13 yr old girl. We have had our EOI selected (yipee) and are in the process of getting ready to apply. Having never been to NZ before my main concern is where to live. Being a worrier I have decided on north of Auckland as it doesnt seem such a hot spot for quakes. Does anyone have any recommendations? Fairly rural will suit us, but somewhere it is easy to settle and make friends, not just for the kids but us too! We are all very excited about the move!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of
Default Re: Advice please!

what do you guys do for work?

I know up towards Orewa is real nice and also close to Auckland. I wouldnt base moving somewhere on Earthquake spots, they didnt know about Christchurch fault until it happened last September. When you live on the ring of fire it can happen anywhere but its not really an issue the real nasty ones are extremely rare
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:43 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Advice please!

Thanks for coming back to me Rason, that is a really good point about the Christchurch fault, I just feel I need to try and minimise risks ~ it is pretty scary thinking you are taking your kids somewhere that could be dangerous. Reading that back I realise it sounds silly, there are risks everywhere and you can't let them run your lives! Hubby works as a mechanic/auto electrician and hopes to get the same line of work. At the moment I am not working but previous experience is finance/real estate so I hope I can find work that fits round the kids school hours, not really too bothered about going back to work in an office....would prefer to make the most of a better climate and work outside. Still don't know what I want to do when I grow up, which is poor in your late thirties!!!! I will check out Orewa ~ thanks. Are you in NZ?
Cheers
Old Mar 13th 2011, 10:30 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
Being a worrier I have decided on north of Auckland as it doesnt seem such a hot spot for quakes
Thats right, but Auckland is a hot spot for dormant/extinct volcanoes (think they are all classed as extinct TBH)

TBH once you have ruled out anywhere subject to quakes, tsunami, land slip, sea level rise, river flooding, hurricanes/typhoons/tempests, actual civil war, potential civil war etc etc then I think you are left with a spot several sq km big in the middle of a desert where there are no jobs....and worse no internet!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
Thanks for coming back to me Rason, that is a really good point about the Christchurch fault, I just feel I need to try and minimise risks ~ it is pretty scary thinking you are taking your kids somewhere that could be dangerous
Auckland sits on 49 volcanoes They predict a 50th one may be born... somewhere There were, also, a few small earthquakes just out in the Hauraki Gulf a few years ago so north Auckland actually isn't that protected from natural disasters (much to my horror).

Last edited by UKNZAUS; Mar 13th 2011 at 11:09 pm. Reason: Forgot how to speak English for a second!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 11:56 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl
Auckland sits on 49 volcanoes They predict a 50th one may be born... somewhere There were, also, a few small earthquakes just out in the Hauraki Gulf a few years ago so north Auckland actually isn't that protected from natural disasters (much to my horror).
Well we are 25m above sealevel - txt me when your feet get wet if you would
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Well we are 25m above sealevel - txt me when your feet get wet if you would
Depends if I can get a signal in this blooming 'valley'. Anyway, if my feet get wet... I'm legging it up to yours!
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi ~ really appreciate all the good common sense advice, I am planning to stop worrying and just enjoy the climate! Here in Scotland it is v pretty at the moment with snow all around but so cold too. Can't wait to get the visas through and hot tail it over to NZ. Now that I have no plans of where to settle, any suggestions are most welcome! That was a great point simonsi ~ you really put things in perspective! Cheers
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

Jewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant futureJewelie38 has a brilliant future

Hi,
We moved to Gulf Harbour from West Sussex in the UK in September last year and I love it
It's right next to Shakespeare Nature Reserve which is beautiful and a little quieter being down the end of the peninsular. The house prices are a little cheaper for the same reason?! But I actually don't mind the drive as it's only 15 mins from Orewa. The school here seems good - Whangaparaoa College for the older kids and plenty of primary schools. My little one goes to Gulf Harbour PreSchool and loves it!
Hope that helps a little.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice

Nah. North Shore is over rated! Get yourself down to South Auckland beaches - we are in Maraetai (close to Beachlands) and are surrounded by countryside and glorious coastline. And still only 40 mins from the CBD.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 10:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Smile Re: Advice please!

Thanks guys ~ will check out these areas, it is great to hear about people loving where they live/schools etc!

Just as I decided to put the earthquake worry out of my head and just get on with it my 13 yr old daughter announced that they have been studying earthquakes in NZ in geography and are now moving on to volcaoes. I thought she had been a little quiet (!) Turns out she is terrified of moving...really looking forward to the move, better climate etc but terrified all the same. Think it would help if she knew someone in NZ who might reassure her. If anyone has daughter who would be interested in saying a few words, please get in touch!!!! She loves v loud rock music and horses! Would suggest facebook but we haven't told family and friends we are going yet
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:27 pm
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by simonsi
Thats right, but Auckland is a hot spot for dormant/extinct volcanoes (think they are all classed as extinct TBH)

TBH once you have ruled out anywhere subject to quakes, tsunami, land slip, sea level rise, river flooding, hurricanes/typhoons/tempests, actual civil war, potential civil war etc etc then I think you are left with a spot several sq km big in the middle of a desert where there are no jobs....and worse no internet!

i get that one if you tried to live somewhere without danger it aint goner happen. i am still in the UK at the moment but earth quakes or not i am coming over in the next year or so.

what you have to remember is here in the UK you have snakes and snails absolutely everywhere and the worse thing about it is they actually run the country, so it could be worse

Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:28 pm
Nottingham

josephine123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cheesehead
Nah. North Shore is over rated! Get yourself down to South Auckland beaches - we are in Maraetai (close to Beachlands) and are surrounded by countryside and glorious coastline. And still only 40 mins from the CBD.
hi thre

i would love to more about where your from? as everyone else says south auckland is a little rough and i have been advised away from it, please come back to me.

jo
Old Mar 15th 2011, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Jewelie, thanks a lot for the advice, really like what I have found out about your area ~ will keep you posted, off to have a look at the schools in the area now and check out the house prices!!! Cheers
Old Mar 16th 2011, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

Cheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really niceCheesehead is just really nice

South Auckland can indeed be less desirable than other areas but there are some absolute gems in amongst it. Check out places like Whitford, Clevedon - quite rural and a bit inland and Beachlands, Maraetai - coastal and pretty rural. Even less rural spots like Cockle Bay are quite nice.