Advice Please

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Reylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to allReylan is a name known to all
Default Advice Please

Hi There, I have just had an email from an agency in NZ about potential work there. They have stated that we will NOT be able to get employment in our respective areas from outside the country. OH is a Carpenter and I am a PA (also an administrator/receptionist etc).

Can anyone give us any advice on whether they feel this is the case and we will have to go without being able to secure a job, or any other job related advice would be very helpful.

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 2:47 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice Please

That may well be the case, medical and IT can interview and offer out of country but many industries are used to interviewing in-country and TBH I would have thought with a practical skill such as carpentry any interview would include a practical element no???
Old Jul 24th 2010, 1:36 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Awkward Catch 22.

Carpenters are no longer in shortage although one does see vacancy signs around, so it would most likely be a case of boots on NZ ground to look for a trade job offer. You'd probably also have to be prepared to start quickly ( temp work visa/permit)
Thing is, if you haven't got PR then any one offering the carpenter a job ( whether it be from the UK or within NZ ) would still have to prove to NZIS and the Dept of Labour that there was no NZ resident, citizen or apprentice that could fill that spot.
An NZ building company would most likely see the overseas carpenter as someone who would need some NZ training. It might be different for a joiner.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:05 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Well it looks like you have PR from your timeline so an option could be to go over either on a permanent basis and hope you find a job. The other option [if you can afford it] is for you to go over on a temporary visit,activate your PR and line up some interviews whilst over there on the understanding that you may have to move over very quickly if either of you get a job offer.
Any chance you could approach possible employers directly instead of via the agency?
Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2010, 10:00 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived without a job. My wife found one within days of applying. I set up as self employed but have took work whilst the business takes off. I got the 1st job I applied for. Sometimes, things fall into place, sometimes they don't. It's a risk you have to take.What I did find was that any job I applied for, from the UK, was turned down.

If you have PR without conditions, you could take any job, just to keep the money coming in. It's easier to find a job when employed, then when not. NZ is a country that runs on the 'who you know' culture and getting a job is the best way to meet all the contacts you need (either that or join a social / sports club)

Good luck
Old Jul 24th 2010, 11:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sirplug
If you have PR without conditions, you could take any job, just to keep the money coming in.
True