Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice on Palmerston North and Wanganui

Advice on Palmerston North and Wanganui

Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:25 am
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of
Question Advice on Palmerston North and Wanganui

Hello everyone,

Can anyone on here give me some information (as much as possible please) on life in Palmerston North and/or Wanganui? Info such as what the places are like to live in, crime, shopping facilties, weather, places of interest etc...the more info the better.

I have heard about gang violance in Wanganui from numerous people and would like to know if this as bad as we have been told?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Old Mar 5th 2008, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on Palmerston North and Wanganui

Originally Posted by Stef_Paul
Hello everyone,

Can anyone on here give me some information (as much as possible please) on life in Palmerston North and/or Wanganui? Info such as what the places are like to live in, crime, shopping facilties, weather, places of interest etc...the more info the better.

I have heard about gang violance in Wanganui from numerous people and would like to know if this as bad as we have been told?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys
Hi, I have heard that gang stuff in W has been pretty bad in the past. House prices are cheaper than Palmy apparently..amazed there's somewhere cheaper than Palmy!!!!!! Have been here 3 years now in palmy and we love it, sure it has its issues, there's the odd gang related drive by on occasions but its on the other side of town and fortunately gang stuff has never, ever affected us.

They normally never bother regular non-gang folk..unless you want to pick a fight!

Don't come to Palmy if you like fine weather!! Its a wonderful place to live but has its fair share of rain and wind!

I love it because there's so much to do, 4 theatres, about 10 plus cine screens, go karting, jet boating, scuba school, climbing wall, golf course, crazy golf, 72 restaurants and cafes, equestrian centre, an art gallery, museum and science centre, rugby museum, loads of great bars, great parks, fishing (river Manawatu), great walkways, awesome indoor outdoor pool, pplus 3 more ..the list goes on!!

Beach is 30 mins, affordable housing, no traffic, great views, sufficient shopping..however the capital of shopping is Auckland!!!! Welly is 2 hours, skiing and Taupo 3 hours and Hawkes bay the same, logistically it is great. Crime is here, tagging is here like everywhere shit happens, but its all under control and generally a well cruisy place to live. Its our nirvana...sad but true!!!!
Old Mar 5th 2008, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

Stef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud ofStef_Paul has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, I have heard that gang stuff in W has been pretty bad in the past. House prices are cheaper than Palmy apparently..amazed there's somewhere cheaper than Palmy!!!!!! Have been here 3 years now in palmy and we love it, sure it has its issues, there's the odd gang related drive by on occasions but its on the other side of town and fortunately gang stuff has never, ever affected us.

They normally never bother regular non-gang folk..unless you want to pick a fight!

Don't come to Palmy if you like fine weather!! Its a wonderful place to live but has its fair share of rain and wind!

I love it because there's so much to do, 4 theatres, about 10 plus cine screens, go karting, jet boating, scuba school, climbing wall, golf course, crazy golf, 72 restaurants and cafes, equestrian centre, an art gallery, museum and science centre, rugby museum, loads of great bars, great parks, fishing (river Manawatu), great walkways, awesome indoor outdoor pool, pplus 3 more ..the list goes on!!

Beach is 30 mins, affordable housing, no traffic, great views, sufficient shopping..however the capital of shopping is Auckland!!!! Welly is 2 hours, skiing and Taupo 3 hours and Hawkes bay the same, logistically it is great. Crime is here, tagging is here like everywhere shit happens, but its all under control and generally a well cruisy place to live. Its our nirvana...sad but true!!!!
Thanks for the reply, you have painted a picture for us.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:55 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Genesis, are there really 4 swimming pools? Seems like a lot to me!

I'll be looking at moving there and do like a good swim
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sue R
Genesis, are there really 4 swimming pools? Seems like a lot to me!

I'll be looking at moving there and do like a good swim
Yup, a huge indoor/ outdoor complex at the Lido costs $3.50!!! Then there's Freiberg pool, West End Pool and one at our dive centre, I am sure there's another one too. If that's not enough 15 mins away theres another awesome indoor outdoor pool complex in Fielding..try finding an open air pool in the Uk..they all shut decades ago!

Plus we have a wee one out the back! Lots of people in NZ have pools, over here they are not considered things of the rich like in the UK, regular people like us have them too.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:21 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it heated?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

..however the capital of shopping is Auckland!!!!
Oh. BIG NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the capital of shopping is the capital Welly!!!

I was looking for Salter Digital Kitchen Scale in North Shore and No where i could find it :curse: they just sell rubbish everywhere

(at least) there are some Euro quality shops in Welly. ex) Kirkaldies, etc etc etc etc etc etc

- Smith & Caughey in AKL? It's a joke! similar to Farmers, eh?

Last edited by crap coffee; Mar 6th 2008 at 2:54 am.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Oh. BIG NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the capital of shopping is the capital Welly!!!

I was looking for Salter Digital Kitchen Scale in North Shore and No where i could find it :curse: they just sell rubbish everywhere

(at least) there are some Euro quality shops in Welly. ex) Kirkaldies, etc etc etc etc etc etc

- Smith & Caughey in AKL? It is a joke! similar to Farmers, eh?
Sorry had I said W people from A would have complained!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyways, we all know it ain't Palmy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!