Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on where to relocate northshore city area?

Wikiposts

Advice needed on where to relocate northshore city area?

Old Jun 6th 2012, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

tonz76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed on where to relocate northshore city area?

Hi Everyone,

Well been living in NZ for just over a year now based in Howick East Auckland for the last 7months after first starting off down the South Island. Which I have to add has some really stunning scenery. Anyway let me get to the point I have just been offered a job in Albany so we have to move. My partner works in the city so trying to find a place that would be easy for her to get the ferry from devonport and for me to get to work. I have been looking on trademe at various places like Takapuna, Milford, Hillcrest, Northcote, Belmont, Glenfield etc but not sure what the areas are like or what the traffic would be like in the morning and evening. Any advise would be much appreciated

Thanks
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on where to relocate northshore city area?

I wouldn't bother with the ferry; getting into Devonport is not the easiest (I do it every day). The bus from Albany station into the CBD takes 30minutes, and a 15-min driving circle from the station takes in some nice areas to live
I'm biased because I live here, but Orewa is nice; I'd love a job in Albany because it would cut my commute in half.
My personal view is that the nice north shore suburbs (eg Milford) are very expensive, and the less expensive ones (eg Glenfield, Hillcrest etc) are just dull.
Old Jun 6th 2012, 5:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

You could also consider the Whangaparaoa Peninsula. Ferry from Gulf Harbour to CBD 50mins. OH gets the ferry 2-3 times/week.

I can also recommend Orewa, there's a great theatre there
Old Jun 6th 2012, 6:02 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto Whangaparaoa, you go West - just cruise down the motorway, take the Oteha Valley Rd before the end of the tailback and cruise into Albany, or take SR 17 for variety, 30min door-to-door. Your OH goes East to Gulf Hbr for the ferry....

Last edited by simonsi; Jun 6th 2012 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2012, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Torbay and drive into the city but culd catch the bus from the end of the road if I chose it just I like the flexibility with school pickup. you could cycle to Albany from here or its 5 mins in car. Browns bay is also nice again good transport links to the city
Old Jun 7th 2012, 8:58 am
Just Joined

HPSauce is an unknown quantity at this point

We arrived in Auckland a few weeks ago and we're renting a place in Takapuna, I've been getting the bus into the CBD whilst job hunting, 15 mins from Smales Farm station. Nice area to stay too, at least the 6 days we've been here seem to suggest its nice!!
Old Jun 7th 2012, 11:22 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Hi there

All those areas you mentioned are all good. I would avoid Belmont just for the fact that it is really really expensive, although nice but also you would have Lake Road to contend with every day and its a killer. Everyone I know who lives up that way moans about it. Its just one way in and one way out.

The other areas you mentioned are all good and as far as I know all have good bus service into the City, especially Takapuna.

You might also want to consider the Birkenhead area. Birkdale, Beachaven etc. Very easy access into town by bus and not too far away from the motorway to Albany. Also not dull! This one I do know as I live here.

Good luck
Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

NZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really niceNZ4Now is just really nice

Hi

We relocated up from ChCh a year ago and we have bought in Birkenhead.

We love it here bus to CBD 15mins and they go really regularly, I drive to CBD and take me around 25 mins in rush hour and on a weekend under 10mins. Great village centre lots of restaurants and we have some pubs too! Also there is the ferry option from here to!

If you want any help give us a yell

Last edited by NZ4Now; Jun 8th 2012 at 3:25 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

tonz76 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thankyou for the replys so far really helpful. We want to live within close distance to the city so had a brief look around today and quite liked Birkenhead and Northcote as it was close by.Takapuna again nice suburb with plenty of bars and shops and Milford. Does anyone know what bayswater is like is there much there? I know that the ferry goes from there so that would be helpful for my partner to get to work. What would the traffic be like to get to Albany in the mornings?
Old Jun 8th 2012, 11:58 pm
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Bayswater is a very nice area but the houses are pretty expensive and definitely one of the more expensive areas of the north shore. You would be bang in the middle between takapuna and devonport which could be nice as there is nothing in bayswater itself. There is Belmont with a few shops but nothing great.

As for driving from there to Albany, not great. There is only one way in and one way out which is the problem. You would have to contend with the traffic on lake road to get into Takapuna before you even hit the motorway.

I lived there for a few years and liked it when I was there but since being in Birkdale, well it's a lot easier transport wise. There is also a ferry from Birkenhead that your partner could get into town as well as decent bus service.

Hope that helps
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be CBD based when working in Auckland Currently looking at some offices in lower Queen Street area.

Looking at the moment at William Street in Devonport. Any feedback on that area? It appears to be more Takapuna than Devonport????
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Looking at the moment at William Street in Devonport. Any feedback on that area? It appears to be more Takapuna than Devonport????
People tend to throw the Devonport tag on to an address to bumf up the rent / price.
Williams Street is definately more Taka than devo. I've worked in a couple of houses on it and it seemed a nice area.
Lovely and quiet during the day while I was there as it leads to nowhere so it will never be a rat run to avoid
the lights at Esmonde / lake road. There's also a footpath halfway down that leads to the beach so is a safe
walk with kids if you have any. the only possible issue is getting out on to Lake Road during rush hour periods.
Kiwis dont do courtesy in cars at all so there's potential for quite a wait
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
People tend to throw the Devonport tag on to an address to bumf up the rent / price.
Williams Street is definately more Taka than devo. I've worked in a couple of houses on it and it seemed a nice area.
Lovely and quiet during the day while I was there as it leads to nowhere so it will never be a rat run to avoid
the lights at Esmonde / lake road. There's also a footpath halfway down that leads to the beach so is a safe
walk with kids if you have any. the only possible issue is getting out on to Lake Road during rush hour periods.
Kiwis dont do courtesy in cars at all so there's potential for quite a wait
Yes I have just had words with the agent about how far away Devonport is from Takapuna. In my words as far away as my price to your expected offer

So if I am leaving around 9.30 would this be rush hour? 9.15?
Was hoping it would be closer to ferry but guess will need to drive to CBD if its that far. Oh well might keep looking. Didn't have a pool which I was wanting.

Wife has asked about Orewa? now the motorway appears to have made it faster travel time?
Old Dec 25th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you go for the 50 minute ferry ride from Gulf harbour, you will not get to the CBD from anywhere in Rodney faster than you can
from anywhere on the shore. All living in Rodney does is add another 25km to you travel distance and longer travel time.
Try looking around the other North shore ferry points, Stanley Bay(which is still really Devonport) Bayswater (a lovely area)
and Birkenhead which also has some nice places. Other options may be Northcote point from which you could easilly reach Birkenhead for a morning Ferry.
Before I lived in devonport I spent a year in Whangaparaoa so I know the travel times from each and getting from
whangaparaoa, Orewa areas are a nightmare compared to the north shore.