Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice needed setting up consultancy business so I can work

Advice needed setting up consultancy business so I can work

Old Mar 15th 2009, 11:12 pm
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of
Default Advice needed setting up consultancy business so I can work

We arrived back in Jmid January and have settled in well into our rental home, the kids are in school and just found a great pre-school for my youngest. OH job is going great and I have now managed to pick up some consultancy work on a part-time basis to fit in around school hours. All great but a bit sooner than I had first planned. Have downloaded some info of the Inland Revenue site on setting up small business, but wondered if any other expats have done something similar. It is in the service industry so no stock etc, just my time to bill and my expenses to put through. We have PR visas - not sure if this will affect anything. Also need a accountant, anyone have one in the Christchurch area?

Many thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 1:13 am
Just Joined

belsim06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice needed setting up consultancy business so I can work

Hi, just seen your query on setting up a consultancy/ getting an accountant and wondering if you got any replies on this? I'm in the process of doing the same and would particularly like to find a good accountant in the CCH area who can give me advice...
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:44 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suzbits
We arrived back in Jmid January and have settled in well into our rental home, the kids are in school and just found a great pre-school for my youngest. OH job is going great and I have now managed to pick up some consultancy work on a part-time basis to fit in around school hours. All great but a bit sooner than I had first planned. Have downloaded some info of the Inland Revenue site on setting up small business, but wondered if any other expats have done something similar. It is in the service industry so no stock etc, just my time to bill and my expenses to put through. We have PR visas - not sure if this will affect anything. Also need a accountant, anyone have one in the Christchurch area?

Many thanks
Hi yes i did Inland Revenue have been excellent with me they will even come to your home!!!and help you set up with what you can claim for ect I have two jobs so I can give you lots of info so if you would like to PM me with a contact number i will be only to happy to call u as I am in Ch-Ch at Woodend
Regards and welcome
Lin
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 3:48 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by belsim06
Hi, just seen your query on setting up a consultancy/ getting an accountant and wondering if you got any replies on this? I'm in the process of doing the same and would particularly like to find a good accountant in the CCH area who can give me advice...
Hi can help you also I have a good accountant been doing my tax now for 5 years.
Lin
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 5:17 am
Just Joined

belsim06 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by harrogate girl
Hi yes i did Inland Revenue have been excellent with me they will even come to your home!!!and help you set up with what you can claim for ect I have two jobs so I can give you lots of info so if you would like to PM me with a contact number i will be only to happy to call u as I am in Ch-Ch at Woodend
Regards and welcome
Lin
Thanks, will send PM with my number in next few days as I am a new member so not permitted to send a PM yet!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 11:38 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Found the local business development coucil/trust were a big help, NZTE can direct you to the local one:
http://www.nzte.govt.nz/Pages/default.aspx
although their site seems to have changed in layout recently - or you can call them on 0800 555 888

they produce a great start-up booklet -
Helping You Develop Your Own Business Plan - has lots of the basic info in there along with the stuff you need to tell the bank by way of Business Plan. Your local BDC/T should have one.

Also check out:
http://www.whkbusinessgrowth.com/ind...ning_Programme
for free training for SMEs....might suit or maybe not.

Good luck.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 9:44 pm
Forum Regular

MrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant futureMrCFD has a brilliant future

I have a consultancy business that I have been running for just over a year now. I was going to sort out an accountant for the business, but as it is just me at the moment I set up an appointment with the IRD to discuss tax issues and see if they could recommend a good accountant. The IRD were great - they gave me all the advice and time that I needed without charging for the service, and because the advice was so good I ended up doing the books myself.

I have had several meetings and phone calls with the IRD guy since and he can help me out with anything I need, just short of doing the tax return himself (although he can check it all over for me).

Good luck with the business
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:58 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah IRD are great and its all so practical here - the who process of setting up and dealing, just ask for their Business Advisory Team.