Reload this Page >

Advice needed - moving from Chch to Akl

Advice needed - moving from Chch to Akl

Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:27 am
Just Joined

britchick1002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice needed - moving from Chch to Akl

Hi,

Me and OH have been living in Somerfield, Chch for last 6 years, earthquake and all, used to frequent these forums a hell of lot in our investigation of moving from the UK to NZ (cost of living, cold houses etc etc etc), but tbh not as much now as we accept NZ for what it is and get on with our lives

Now find myself back on here, investigating options again, and it feels like starting all over again..... Why, to the point, my OH has a really good job opportunity not available where we live in Chch and now, may mean moving to Auckland..... yes dread intails......... and feel like I am now a newbie having to research areas and way up the pro's and cons of moving once again, and it feels like the Chch to Auckland is more or less like UK to NZ all again.

So after much rambling, my question is, can anyone advise on decent areas where to live? My knowledge of Akl consists of various visits to the airport, Brown's Bay once, and city several time on business.......... hardly anything to form an opinion and I just feel Akl is so different to where we currently live in Chch (with no offence meant).

I'm flexible on work, OH will be working bang in centre of Akl city and does not want to do an hour commute to work each way fighting the Auckland traffic. it's just the two of us, early 40's, no kids, cat and dog, sociable (nice restaurants/pubs), entertainment etc, open spaces, somewhere nice to walk the dog, kite surfing/road cycling, beach areas within driving distance.

We've been thinking of West Auckland due to the close commute, train line, but to be honest we know sod all.

Any advice going.... we don't want to be mortgaged up to the hilt, looking to actually downsize, but don't want to live in some crappy run down/rough area. We will be renting our house out in Chch, will not be mortgage free, and am looking for advice on any areas which anyone knows is decent.

Any words of wisdom/advice on areas?

Cheers

Trace
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed - moving from Chch to Akl

dont discount the north shore, you can get a ferry from devonport and birkenhead that will have you in the CBD in 12 minutes.
I dont know your budget but devonport is expensive to buy but there are areas around it and birkenhead that are reasonable.
I'm in the process of moving to Devonport, its a lovely place with a really nice small town community feel to it that I dont
think you'll find in many other places around aucks

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 9th 2012 at 4:00 am.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:58 am
Just Joined

shelloil is an unknown quantity at this point

beachlands or maraetai is an excellent area to live. also hubbie can get the ferry into auckland from pine harbour beachlands . rentals may be hard to find.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Funnily enough I'm probably moving from Auckland to Christchurch so we could help each other if you like??

I've been in Auckland for 10 years so fire away with any questions!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:27 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

South Auckland is unpopular i.e. crime, social issues. The north shore of Auckland is expensive because people who live there like it that way. The west of Auckland can be called the wild west. Buses have their own bus lane. My sister in law lives in Oteha, Albany on the north shore. There's a park and ride bus stop at Albany. You can be in central Auckland (Britomart is the bus stop and also the name of the area) in 30 40 minutes. Britomart is also a transport hub it's a train station too. The ferries from Devonport/Birkenhead/Half Moon Bay leave/arrive at the waterfront near Britomart.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 11:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
The north shore of Auckland is expensive because people who live there like it that way.
not all of us
Old Apr 9th 2012, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

With the electrification of the railway in Auckland underway living close to a station will be very handy indeed, we live near a station on the western line and it is good, I commute to Kingsland everyday and it's much quicker and cheaper than driving. Once the trains are electric it'll be even quicker and more reliable. Plus if they ever build the rail loop getting into town could be almost twice as quick.

Something to consider, commuting on clogged up roads and motorways ain't no fun and many Aucklanders think it's the norm.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

There are plenty of places out here in the west that are just great and as you say the train and the buses are good. People who no nothing about the west call it the wild west but it what you make it an dI've lived here for 3 years and wouldn't live anywhere else with nature, beaches and good travel connections, roads trains and buses. Yes, some area's are bad or not too good but other areas a perfect. if you need any info for this area just pm
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:03 am
Just Joined

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all the information, something to think about but think end of the day we will have to go up one weekend and do a recee of areas and then start the joy once again of open homes and putting up with the usual real estate agents who hear your accent then presume you have just stepped off the plane from the UK loaded.......

Devonport sounds good, but out of our price range. South Auckland - completely discounted.

One of the reasons we love NZ, is no longer having to be stuck on the bloody M25/M3/M27/M5/6 etc etc to get anywhere, looks like better get used to it for some commute in NZ if end up in Auckland.

Thanks again guys, help from other Brits appreciated.

Trace
Old Apr 11th 2012, 12:04 am
Just Joined

PS - next post will be.... anyone one to make friends with Brits who have just moved to Auckland from Chch and no sod all people once again.

Trace
Old May 16th 2012, 6:31 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britchick1002
PS - next post will be.... anyone one to make friends with Brits who have just moved to Auckland from Chch and no sod all people once again.

Trace
It's all rather daunting isn't it. Have you been on a recce up here yet? Where we are on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula is no good to you as we are approx an hour from the City.

OH works in the City & either drives in or gets the Gulf Harbour ferry (50 mins). Quite a few of my friends work in the CBD & catch the bus from here. When we first came to NZ we had planned on living on the North Shore but didn't like it on seeing it. We loved the Peninsula as soon as we saw it.

I like the Greenhithe area & Titirangi too. Friend of mine lives in Swanson, but not a fan of there either. Area around Mission Bay, St.Heliers etc rather nice too but can be expensive.

Living in Auckland tends to be about compromise to some extent. Best of luck with your plans. Loads of lovely people up Auckland way, so you'll make friends
Old May 16th 2012, 6:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
It's all rather daunting isn't it. Have you been on a recce up here yet? Where we are on the Whangaparaoa Peninsula is no good to you as we are approx an hour from the City.

OH works in the City & either drives in or gets the Gulf Harbour ferry (50 mins). Quite a few of my friends work in the CBD & catch the bus from here. When we first came to NZ we had planned on living on the North Shore but didn't like it on seeing it. We loved the Peninsula as soon as we saw it.

I like the Greenhithe area & Titirangi too. Friend of mine lives in Swanson, but not a fan of there either. Area around Mission Bay, St.Heliers etc rather nice too but can be expensive.

Living in Auckland tends to be about compromise to some extent. Best of luck with your plans. Loads of lovely people up Auckland way, so you'll make friends

Hey, thanks for the message and advice on areas, I head up next week for a quick two day visit to see my one friend in Akl and do a quick recce of areas, still not confirmed that we will move yet though.

It's depressing though, we want a comfortable, manageable mortgage, nice house/in a nice area and not be stretched, but what I want in a house/area is very, very different to what we see on the real estate pages, for our price range.

Hey, out of interest, anyone got any info on Te Atu South? We have seen a lot of houses for sale in an area called St Clair Park Village - lots of houses for sale, at a reasonable cost for Akl - not sure why the town houses appear to be relatively inexpensive (ok they are packed in!) - is a dodgy area?

Thanks
Old May 17th 2012, 2:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people rave about the North Shore but it has its downfalls….yes there is a ferry that quickly gets you to the city – but I’ve heard from some that apparently the novelty of having to get a ferry to and from work every day quickly wears off, especially when it gets cancelled due to the weather conditions. Then again – a lot of people still do this commute.

House price wise I cannot really advise location wise I can a bit.

If you want the:

sociable (nice restaurants/pubs), entertainment etc, open spaces, somewhere nice to walk the dog, kite surfing/road cycling, beach areas within driving distance.

You want to be commutable to the city, but easy to get out of.

You want to consider:

west Auckland (but not sure bout the good areas that way
Mission Bay
Point Chev
St Heliers
The suburbs one or two stages out of the city are good options to give you a bit of everything – Parnell, Newmarket, Ponsonby, Grey Lynn, Herne Bay, Mount Eden – these are all really nice spots.
Then a bit further you have Greenlane, Epsom, Remurea, One Tree Hill, Three Kings, Mount Roskill, Balmoral,

To be honest, the list goes on an on if you are looking at sort of central Auckland. I wouldn’t really recommend south Auckland but there are good options further east in Howick and Botany areas.
Old May 17th 2012, 6:29 am
CockneyLass

dazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud ofdazal has much to be proud of

Hi there

I live on the North Shore, Birkdale to be exact and dont let anybody tell you its a terrible area, it isnt. Transport in and out of the North Shore is pretty good, especially if you just want to get into the CBD. You dont have to get a ferry there are plenty of buses as well, especially from my area. If you had to drive into the CBD from the Birkenhead area its not far either, although obviously you would have the traffic to contend with.

When I was working in the City, always got the bus into town and its pretty quick and easy. Although, I really wouldnt call it cheap!

Other areas on the North Shore as far as I am aware, also have pretty easy access to the CBD by bus as well, although I wouldnt swear to that as I havent done it.

There are plenty of affordable areas to live on the North Shore, you just have to search a bit thats all. Obviously, some areas are more expensive than others but in an area like the Birkenhead area you would get more house for your buck.

Unfortunately, areas like Birkdale, Beachhaven, Glenfield are much maligned and sometimes unnecessarily so.

Am I selling it

As you can tell I have a huge bias for where I live, which is a good thing I think but it all comes down to personal taste really.

Good luck
Old May 18th 2012, 12:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dazal
Hi there

I live on the North Shore, Birkdale to be exact and dont let anybody tell you its a terrible area, it isnt. Transport in and out of the North Shore is pretty good, especially if you just want to get into the CBD. You dont have to get a ferry there are plenty of buses as well, especially from my area. If you had to drive into the CBD from the Birkenhead area its not far either, although obviously you would have the traffic to contend with.

When I was working in the City, always got the bus into town and its pretty quick and easy. Although, I really wouldnt call it cheap!

Other areas on the North Shore as far as I am aware, also have pretty easy access to the CBD by bus as well, although I wouldnt swear to that as I havent done it.

There are plenty of affordable areas to live on the North Shore, you just have to search a bit thats all. Obviously, some areas are more expensive than others but in an area like the Birkenhead area you would get more house for your buck.

Unfortunately, areas like Birkdale, Beachhaven, Glenfield are much maligned and sometimes unnecessarily so.

Am I selling it

As you can tell I have a huge bias for where I live, which is a good thing I think but it all comes down to personal taste really.

Good luck
Hi chuck, how are you? Hope you're both well .

I didn't mean to deride the North Shore at all. Plenty of people live there after all.
It just wasn't what we were expecting when we first arrived but I do like some of the shopping areas & cafes on the North Shore. The shops at Whangaparaoa aren't the greatest & there aren't as many lovely cafes up this way either IMHO.

It is certainly hourses for courses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.