Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice needed on incorrect name on Flight tickets vs Passport

Advice needed on incorrect name on Flight tickets vs Passport

Old Jan 5th 2009, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

zaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to beholdzaras dad is a splendid one to behold
Default Advice needed on incorrect name on Flight tickets vs Passport

Ive just booked our flights back to blighty in May with Emirates but made a cock-up..................that I only noticed just after booking it.

I put my wifes surname down as her married name - only thing is her passport is still with her maiden name. Rang Emirates only minutes after booking it and they told me ill have to cough up $150 to change the name to what is on the passport

I did make a further call to the emirates desk at auckland airport and they said at auckland it wouldnt be a problem if we came with our marriage cert and driving license (that are both in the married name) BUT she couldn't comment on the other airports we'll need to flash our docs at (ie transit via Sydneyand Dubai then on our return Larnaca, Dubai and Melbourne)

Anyone had similiar experiences like this? Shall I email the immigration folk at each airport for confirmation of policy? I dont want to fork out more on top of the kings ransom that is a comin.........

I worked at Ryanair where this happened a bit but European travel was a bit simpler to contend with
Old Jan 5th 2009, 7:38 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice needed on incorrect name on Flight tickets vs Passport

Originally Posted by zaras dad
Ive just booked our flights back to blighty in May with Emirates but made a cock-up..................that I only noticed just after booking it.

I put my wifes surname down as her married name - only thing is her passport is still with her maiden name. Rang Emirates only minutes after booking it and they told me ill have to cough up $150 to change the name to what is on the passport

I did make a further call to the emirates desk at auckland airport and they said at auckland it wouldnt be a problem if we came with our marriage cert and driving license (that are both in the married name) BUT she couldn't comment on the other airports we'll need to flash our docs at (ie transit via Sydneyand Dubai then on our return Larnaca, Dubai and Melbourne)

Anyone had similiar experiences like this? Shall I email the immigration folk at each airport for confirmation of policy? I dont want to fork out more on top of the kings ransom that is a comin.........

I worked at Ryanair where this happened a bit but European travel was a bit simpler to contend with
I've booked lots of travel over the years and it's a big thing to make sure the name booked is the same as the name on the passport. IMO paying the $150 to get it changed will give you peace of mind - all you'll need is someone having a bad day and Mrs could end up stuck somewhere she doesn't particularly want to be!! OR could she get her passport changed before then? Having changed her name it's something she's going to have to do anyway...
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
I've booked lots of travel over the years and it's a big thing to make sure the name booked is the same as the name on the passport. IMO paying the $150 to get it changed will give you peace of mind - all you'll need is someone having a bad day and Mrs could end up stuck somewhere she doesn't particularly want to be!! OR could she get her passport changed before then? Having changed her name it's something she's going to have to do anyway...
Naughty Batty!!!!
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:23 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Naughty Batty!!!!
Why? As the OP had said he used his wife's married name I'm safely assuming his wife has taken his name and as I speak from personal experience I know it's a world of trouble to have to deal with agencies and organisations if you have two 'official' names. Maybe it might be better to read posts before we get all het up about being politically incorrect
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Why? As the OP had said he used his wife's married name I'm safely assuming his wife has taken his name and as I speak from personal experience I know it's a world of trouble to have to deal with agencies and organisations if you have two 'official' names. Maybe it might be better to read posts before we get all het up about being politically incorrect
I take it you did't read my Karma message before you posted?

Why does the OP's wife HAVE to change her name?
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:49 am
By name and by nature

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I take it you did't read my Karma message before you posted?

Why does the OP's wife HAVE to change her name?
She doesn't HAVE to (Jeez he only wanted some advice - sorry Zara's Dad) but since she obviously has does this not become her 'official' name? And as such is it not required on her passport? I may be wrong ... I had a married name for such a short time that I didn't want to use it anymore and reverted to my maiden name - I had to change all my social insurance and tax details to the name I was 'officially' using. I think it's quite common for women who take their husband's name to actually change all their details too. In the real world. And no, I didn't check my karma. Have now :-) I'm in NZ where it's gloriously warm.

Last edited by Batty; Jan 5th 2009 at 8:51 am.
Old Jan 5th 2009, 8:54 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

zara's dad,

Hope you had a good birthday by the way!

I agree with Batty on the above. I think it's one of those "suck it up" times as the Kiwi's like to say. Pay the $150 and then you have no worries, no quibbles, no fraught "but didn't you get my email ..." discussions when you're knackered, jet lagged, fraught, kids screaming etc, etc, etc ...

I understand your frustrations at the expense, but better to pay up and travel with ease methinks.

Good luck with your decision either way.

Loolah
Old Jan 5th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Loolah on this. I'd pay up to change the tickets. We had same problem, travel agent issued tickets for my kids with their middle name as part of their surname luckily as they were etickets it didn't cost anything to change them. We still had trouble with the expiry date on their passports but that's another can of beaurocratic worms....
Old Jan 6th 2009, 2:38 am
SLH
Forum Regular

SLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud ofSLH has much to be proud of

Have you physically got tickets, I was under the impression that you only got etickets these days? Did you book through a travel agent or yourself online? If with a travel agent then go back to them. Have you joined the Skywards program through Emirates so you get your free Oz flight which is valid for 3 years. Good luck
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

As long as the name on the passport and tickets match it matters not a jot what name you go by, whether it is married name, maiden name or whatever. There is no obligation to have your passport in your official name or otherwise.

The most cost effective solution would be to get the change of name on the passport, but if your wife doesn't want to do this, you will simply have to cough up the cost to change the ticket.

Even for e-tickets, there is something in the fine print that will state quite clearly the cost for any subsequent changes.
Old Jan 6th 2009, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

Shoegal is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to add my two penneth! I used to work for British Airways at Heathrow and you would not believe the number of people this happens to. Thankfully you have realised before turning up at the airport so I would strongly reccommend changing the ticket name and paying the charge. It might be a breeze through Auckland airport but I wouldnt like to try my luck at your transit points, they are renowned for being by the book especially in these times of heightened security surrounding air travel.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but if its changed you can travel stress free!