Advice needed...

Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Betty will become famous soon enough
Default Advice needed...

Hi,

Am looking for some advice please.

I am hoping to go and join my kiwi partner in NZ in July, I know I may have left it a little late to organise getting permanent visa's etc.

I'm not sure if I want to get permanent residency at this stage but would like to be able to apply to stay on once I'm there if things settle down. As we did not really live together for very long while he was in the UK we do not qualify for a de facto visa, and as I'm over 30 I do not qualify for a working holiday visa either.

I have spoken briefly to an agency who said I should forward my CV if I'm interested in getting a permanent visa, but that is all the information she gave me.

What I really need to know is, should I just enter NZ on a holiday visa and then start the change over process once I'm there, (I know of a few people who have done it that way) or should I get a permanent visa before I go.

I am a part qualified Nursery school teacher with 7 years experience, and also have 10 years office administration experience, most of that within the Construction industry.

Any help and/ or ideas on my options would be most appreciated. I have gone through the NZIS website but not found any answers to my questions..

Thanks

B
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Advice needed...

Originally Posted by Betty
Hi,

I am hoping to go and join my kiwi partner in NZ in July, I know I may have left it a little late to organise getting permanent visa's etc.

I'm not sure if I want to get permanent residency at this stage but would like to be able to apply to stay on once I'm there if things settle down. As we did not really live together for very long while he was in the UK we do not qualify for a de facto visa, and as I'm over 30 I do not qualify for a working holiday visa either.

I have spoken briefly to an agency who said I should forward my CV if I'm interested in getting a permanent visa, but that is all the information she gave me.

What I really need to know is, should I just enter NZ on a holiday visa and then start the change over process once I'm there, (I know of a few people who have done it that way) or should I get a permanent visa before I go.

I am a part qualified Nursery school teacher with 7 years experience, and also have 10 years office administration experience, most of that within the Construction industry.

Any help and/ or ideas on my options would be most appreciated. I have gone through the NZIS website but not found any answers to my questions..

Thanks

B
Hi Betty,

Well I moved over last year and didnt have lots of time to get my visa sorted so came over and entered on a holiday/visitors one. I was then advised to apply for a 2 year working visa, which I did and as my husband is Kiwi he was able to write a letter about us etc and that was it.

Good luck. Sorry I am not being much more help but that is all I did.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

Tayberry will become famous soon enoughTayberry will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Thanks

B
Hello Betty!!! As Cassa said, you could apply for a 2 year visa but do what I did, apply for a 23 month visa (saves you having to pay for medicals/police checks etc)-actually, even though the NZIS issue you with a 23 month visa, it actually covers you for 25 months. Then once in NZ and you've got a permanent job, you can apply for PR. Hope that helps a bit.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tayberry
Hello Betty!!! As Cassa said, you could apply for a 2 year visa but do what I did, apply for a 23 month visa (saves you having to pay for medicals/police checks etc)-actually, even though the NZIS issue you with a 23 month visa, it actually covers you for 25 months. Then once in NZ and you've got a permanent job, you can apply for PR. Hope that helps a bit.
Thanks Cassa and Tayberry.

Tayberry, did you apply for the 23 month visa from outside NZ? Can I just go to the NZIS here in London and get the appropriate forms?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Cassa and Tayberry.

Tayberry, did you apply for the 23 month visa from outside NZ? Can I just go to the NZIS here in London and get the appropriate forms?

Yup!! That's what I did. I applied for the 23 month visa from the UK. Like you, I was too old (33 ) for the working holiday visa so this was my only option instead of going the full hog. It cut down on time and costs plus it gave me the extra length of string to see if I wanted to go for PR or not. If I'd wanted to stay in NZ, it wouldn't have been too much of a hassle for PR as my employers gave me a permanent position.

I'm well glad I went down the path I did as it really cost me virtually nothing (excluding the extortionate costs to register as a nurse in NZ) and given the fact I'm returning home, I've not wasted mega-bucks compared to some very unfortunate forum members. One thing Betty, you will have to secure a job to get this type of visa and once you do get it, you cannot move around in your job. I had big plans that I was going to stop my work as a nurse and I'd go off and shear some sheep but soon discovered I couldn't on my visa, as it stipulates your occupation and your place of employment.

Getting the visa was very straightforward. I applied on the Monday and received my passport with the visa on the Friday-so it doesn't take the 9-12 weeks as stated by the NZIS.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Advice needed...

Yup!! That's what I did. I applied for the 23 month visa from the UK. Like you, I was too old (33 ) for the working holiday visa so this was my only option instead of going the full hog. It cut down on time and costs plus it gave me the extra length of string to see if I wanted to go for PR or not. If I'd wanted to stay in NZ, it wouldn't have been too much of a hassle for PR as my employers gave me a permanent position.

I'm well glad I went down the path I did as it really cost me virtually nothing (excluding the extortionate costs to register as a nurse in NZ) and given the fact I'm returning home, I've not wasted mega-bucks compared to some very unfortunate forum members. One thing Betty, you will have to secure a job to get this type of visa and once you do get it, you cannot move around in your job. I had big plans that I was going to stop my work as a nurse and I'd go off and shear some sheep but soon discovered I couldn't on my visa, as it stipulates your occupation and your place of employment.

Getting the visa was very straightforward. I applied on the Monday and received my passport with the visa on the Friday-so it doesn't take the 9-12 weeks as stated by the NZIS.
Thanks Tayberry, you have just made my life so much easier! I'll start applying for jobs today... I really don't mind what sort of work I get, as long as I can have some sort of income and keep some of my independence (ie not relying on the boyfriend for cash!) and the rest will sort itself out should I decide PR is the way to go!

Thank you so much!!!!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Glad to be of assistance to someone on this forum!! Methinks you could be the first...and last given my negative posts!!!

Betty, if you are planning to be in NZ in July, get your skates on because getting the Visa wont be the thing holding you back, it'll be getting the job and sending off your CV, references etc which delays the whole process. Saying that, do you have to submit to any professional body? If not, you shouldn't have too many probs I wouldn't have thought.

Another wee thing just to consider, July is slap bang in the middle of the Lions Tour of NZ so you might have problems with flights. Additionally it's more expensive to fly in July as opposed to late August/September.

Good luck and look forward to hearing how you get on! By the way,not that it's really any of my business but I think you are being very sensible in how you are approaching this move.
Old Apr 26th 2005, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Glad to be of assistance to someone on this forum!! Methinks you could be the first...and last given my negative posts!!!

Betty, if you are planning to be in NZ in July, get your skates on because getting the Visa wont be the thing holding you back, it'll be getting the job and sending off your CV, references etc which delays the whole process. Saying that, do you have to submit to any professional body? If not, you shouldn't have too many probs I wouldn't have thought.

Another wee thing just to consider, July is slap bang in the middle of the Lions Tour of NZ so you might have problems with flights. Additionally it's more expensive to fly in July as opposed to late August/September.

Good luck and look forward to hearing how you get on! By the way,not that it's really any of my business but I think you are being very sensible in how you are approaching this move.
Thanks Tayberry, am new on this forum as of today so not seen anything negative (so far)!!!!

I've been lucky enough to have actually found a flight for 19th July for £800 so not too fussed about the flight bit, I'm pretty flexible about that anyway. I have actually just returned from NZ and loved every minute and can't wait to go back. I could wait if absolutely necessary til August or later but want to get back to my boyfriend as soon as possible.

Have been browsing the job websites and think I might just stick to admin work for now to avoid having to register as a teacher and save time and money, I can always do that once I'm there and if I decide PR is the way to go. At this stage all I want is to get there and get working and give things time to settle down.

You have been most helpful and I really do appreciate it
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Tayberry, am new on this forum as of today so not seen anything negative (so far)!!!!
Check out my old posts Betty!!! Or maybe you shouldn't!!!!

I've been lucky enough to have actually found a flight for 19th July for £800 so not too fussed about the flight bit
That's good you've got the flight booked. Phewwww!!
Have been browsing the job websites and think I might just stick to admin work for now to avoid having to register as a teacher and save time and money, I can always do that once I'm there and if I decide PR is the way to go. At this stage all I want is to get there and get working and give things time to settle down.
Be careful here though. You cant apply for the visa to work in admin then go for a teaching job. You'd have to stick at the admin until you got your PR sorted out. You couldnt do both jobs on this (i.e.23 month) visa.
Glad to be of some kind of assistance!!!
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Hi Betty

Where are you settling in NZ?
Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Check out my old posts Betty!!! Or maybe you shouldn't!!!!

That's good you've got the flight booked. Phewwww!!

Be careful here though. You cant apply for the visa to work in admin then go for a teaching job. You'd have to stick at the admin until you got your PR sorted out. You couldnt do both jobs on this (i.e.23 month) visa.
Glad to be of some kind of assistance!!!
LOL

Yea its fine, I've been in admin for most of the 10 years I've been in the UK so another 2 years at it won't harm, then I'll decide if I want to get back into teaching or not... I know admin is not generally a highly sought after field but can only keep my fingers crossed it all works out... otherwise have to find a plan B!!!

Main thing is until today I had no idea where to start, now I have a plan and if your way doesn't work I'll do what Cassa suggested, only thing that worries me with that is that we are not married so not sure if it would work at this time.. of course that could always be my plan B!!! lol
Old Apr 26th 2005, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sally
Hi Betty

Where are you settling in NZ?
Hi Sally,

Will be in Auckland. Partner is from South Auckland (Waiuku).