Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice for Mum with grown up son - how can he remain in NZ please?

Advice for Mum with grown up son - how can he remain in NZ please?

Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

serenaharris is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Advice for Mum with grown up son - how can he remain in NZ please?

Hi, can anyone advise please? I'm applying for skilled migration to NZ as a dietitian and would love my 24 year old son to come too. He is travelling and applying for a temporary working visa; does anybody know if this would preclude him from applying for any other kind of visa in the future, or what options there are for him to secure a longer term visa? Thanks in advance, all advice gratefully received.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:33 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Advice for Mum with grown up son

When you say temporary work visa do you mean a Working Holiday Visa which allows his to come to NZ & do a wee bit of work whilst experiencing the country. or do you mean that he has a full time job offer in NZ and therefore has a temporary work visa for a set amount of time.

What is his occupation. What quals does he have.
Old Jan 18th 2012, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

serenaharris is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, yes, working holiday visa. No real formal qualifications- he was working in customer service for Bank of Scotland but just made redundant.
Old Jan 25th 2012, 8:32 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Having a WHV doesn't stop him from applying for another form of NZ visa in the future.

Not sure how he would get to remain in NZ though with no quals or skills that NZ needs. There are a couple of families here having much heartache over how their independent adult children will remain in the country.

If he could afford it , he could go on to apply for an Australian WHV.

For you to sponsor him it is a 3 year wait and then a possible 2 year wait for an application to be processed.

I'll move this temporarily and tweak the title a wee bit so others with similar issues might see this.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 4:37 am

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Mum with grown up son - how can he remain in NZ please?

I have met a English couple who came over here on a WHV, started to work at a local winery, now have 2 year work permits. Neither of them have any particular qualifications. But Marlborough has the lowest unemployment in the country.

So the moral of the story is, yes it is possible to stay, but you have to be at the right place at the right time.

The worst thing he could do, is come over and live with mum for 23 months and not get out there see the country, work in different places and grab what opportunities arise.
Old Jan 27th 2012, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Is he dependant on you completely for somewhere to live, financially etc? If he were to perhaps do uni course or something and has no money to his name etc, you may be in with a fighting chance as I personally know someone who got through this way. I will say it is not the easiest of routes though.
Old Jan 29th 2012, 4:40 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

Have him come over on the 2 year working holiday visa, encourage him to get out and about in this great land, and you never know, he might "meet someone" from this wonderful nation living and dating locally would severely increase his chances. kinda worked for me, I met my better half in London on her WHV
Old Jan 30th 2012, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

janetlindsey is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told at a NZ Expo that dependants under 25 years old can come on a parents visa, not sure which visa though.