British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice on moving teenagers (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-moving-teenagers-669758/)

P18PPS May 26th 2010 3:42 am

Advice on moving teenagers

Hi all

We've been living happily in Auckland for 5 years and have 3 daughters, a job move looks likely though back to england for a period of 2 years, potentially returning to NZ thereafter.
The 2 youngest daughters I'm not worried about - it's the now 12 year old (year 8) I have concerns over - she's been talked up about possibly moving so that's not an issue, I'm concerned though about her education. We have good schools in england lined up - again I'm comfortable with this, my concerns are then returning to NZ in 2 years time and converting from GCSE education back into NCEA.

Perhaps anyone who has moved 14-16 year olds could let me know how they've coped fitting back/into a different education system at such a critical time.

Thanks
P18PPS

P18PPS May 27th 2010 9:29 am

Re: Advice on moving teenagers

Wow, no one can share any experiences like this!

Maybe people don't move here with children this age.

Justcol May 27th 2010 9:38 am

We came to nz with a 14 yr old son, he was a grammer school pupil in the uk
so was a little smarter than they average bear. He's had no trouble adapting
to ncea, although say he thinks the uk gcse education id better.
His older brother arrived here at age 17 and did just his final year(13) in NZ.
He has now returned to the uk and has been accepted by 3 of the 4 uni's
he applied to.
Kids are by nature VERY adaptable its usually we as parents who panic on there behalf.
My advice, dont worry about it

turkeys May 28th 2010 11:22 am

My advice would be to only move them during ad breaks. :D

P18PPS May 28th 2010 11:11 pm

Thanks for the info - perhaps we're worrying too much.
Will also programme in BBC World Asia report or something equally as boring before moving them......

helinuk May 29th 2010 11:39 pm

We moved our children a few times : UK to Singapore aged 7 and 10 then Singapore to UK aged 13 & 16 ... they both settled into schools in UK altho it was harder for the 16 yr old to go into a yr 12/13 where the other children had been together all through their schooling!
Then our daughter moved to NZ aged 18 and has settled into college in Wellington.
PM me if you want to chat more :)

Foxesecho Jun 1st 2010 1:11 am

My eldest daughter moved here when she was 14. We decided to put her into yr9 rather than yr10 (she only had 1 term in yr9) so that she could get used to anther way of life/school/ changes etc and make friends before concentrating on school work and exams. She is now in yr11 and will be taking her NCEA's November time. She is in fact about 6 months behind her friends in the UK. They have just left school (yr11).

She found that she was repeating quite a bit of work and was therefore ahead of the children here. which helped her to concentrate on settling in. She has just done mock NCEA's and has done quite well.

I don't think your daughter will have too much trouble settling back int the NZ school system.

P18PPS Jun 1st 2010 1:19 am

thanks for the info, I feel much easier about what may happen now.