Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice for Long Haul Trip Please.

Advice for Long Haul Trip Please.

Old Aug 11th 2010, 10:55 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice for Long Haul Trip Please.

Well, after 3.5 years I am heading off for my first long haul trip back.

Not a problem, I am flying solo, so no kids to worry about. However;

I have slipped a disc in my lower back. It's not as painful as it was a couple of weeks ago and I do now have strong pain killers from the doctor. But these are specifically to "numb" the pain in order to keep me active.

I'm worried about arriving at my destinations crippled. Quite honestly at the moment if I sit in my office chair for more than an hour I am stiff and struggling again.

I am going Auckland-LA-NY-London - LA-Auckland in 9 days.

Any advice welcome please.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 11:44 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice for Long Haul Trip Please.

Originally Posted by Am Loolah

I have slipped a disc in my lower back. It's not as painful as it was a couple of weeks ago and I do now have strong pain killers from the doctor. But these are specifically to "numb" the pain in order to keep me active.

I'm worried about arriving at my destinations crippled. Quite honestly at the moment if I sit in my office chair for more than an hour I am stiff and struggling again.

I had a back injury from playing front row rugby that eventually required the removal of a couple of badly damaged discs. various treatments (steel corset) etc were tried before the op to no good effect. So dealing with a very painful back I am good at. I cannot think of a worse thing to do than going long haul with your condition. I would seriously have a word with the cabin staff to ask if there is anywhere that you can stretch out on a hard surface at times during the flight. You have two options of comfort (or less pain) one is sitting bolt upright as you would sitting at a dinning table feet planted side by side on the floor with a support behind your back to help keep your spine straight. The other is lying down on the floor bum up against something of chair height and legs bent calves on the chair seat almost the same position as sitting bolt upright but on the floor if you see what I mean. Other than that periodically get up find a bulk head to stand toes and nose touching the bulk head then gently raise one leg at a time behind you about 6-12" for about 30 seconds.
If all this fails go up to the cockpit pick the hunkiest man there and ask for a back rub..........might not help but by then you will have forgotten about your back.............
Old Aug 11th 2010, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear this is not so good: yes you will need to move around and do everything above, but on a crowded plane....? I have a friend who was in a similar situation and she had to cancel her trip

Hope you feel better soon
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold

Oh alright.... I will do the noble thing and go for you

problem sorted

xx
Old Aug 12th 2010, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Manchester-Auckland-Anglesey- soon to be Manchester. yay.
sue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nicesue1234 is just really nice

Hi Am loolah, have you pre-booked your seats? There is a web site (can't remember what it's called) that shows best places to sit on the aircraft. Otherwise phone up the airline, explain, and see if they can help. Hope it gets better soon, sue
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:46 am
Forum Regular

Wilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to allWilester is a name known to all

Man up woman

Its not like you have man flu
Old Aug 12th 2010, 5:52 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest getting up as frequent as possible on the flight and walking around. I suffer with a back problem and I can't sit for too long. Also my osteopath suggested doing some side-bends and bringing my knee up to my chest, whilst standing, one at a time. I used to go into the toilet and you know how small they are....

Perhaps you'll get upgraded to Business Class then you can lie down all the way.... its never happended to me though

Hope it improves before the flight. Have a great time
Old Aug 12th 2010, 7:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi Am loolah, have you pre-booked your seats? There is a web site (can't remember what it's called) that shows best places to sit on the aircraft. Otherwise phone up the airline, explain, and see if they can help. Hope it gets better soon, sue
www.seatguru.com
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilester
Man up woman

He,s got a point
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light

oh poor you,
cant offer any suggestions, sorry, but wondered if you had asked any advice from a chiropractor?
Like 'nukiwi' said perhaps you may get upgraded to first class
hop the trip goes well
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:30 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sue1234
Hi Am loolah, have you pre-booked your seats? There is a web site (can't remember what it's called) that shows best places to sit on the aircraft.
seatguru.com
Old Aug 12th 2010, 9:51 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

After 3.5 years, it's time to toughen up and be a proper Kiwi!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

I take it you have seen a chirpractor or osteopath or someone like that and not just the Dr. They can sometimes get things moving again.Maybe a good massage before you go and another on landing. Apart from all the other suggestions on here that should help. Have a good trip.
Old Aug 12th 2010, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Caroline

When we come to NZ in January we are flying Qantas this time and we have booked Premium Economy. There are lots of extra features such as wider seats, bigger recline plus loads of other things. Can you not upgrade to this with the airline you are travelling with. If you google it you will find out more.

Scroll down to Heathrow check in to see what I mean

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-fo...d.main/150487/

Safe journey

June
Old Aug 13th 2010, 12:34 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wilester
got

I've got it, been signed off for e week!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.