Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

advice on getting a job in NZ

advice on getting a job in NZ

Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:01 am
Just Joined

ryanlove has a spectacular aura aboutryanlove has a spectacular aura aboutryanlove has a spectacular aura about
Default advice on getting a job in NZ

My sister who only recently was granted residency status has asked me to come over on a visitors permit and maybe try to look around to see if I wanted to try and work there.

I'm a 35-year old writer and graphics designer with almost 17 years of professional writing experience and while my skills are not on the ISSL, I've observed that there are plenty of job openings with my qualifications.

I know that looking for work on a visitor's permit is a typical route, but what are the specific things that I should be concerned about? Are most employers accomodating when it comes to a foreigner on a visitor's visa looking for a job? What should be the best approach?

Most importantly, how does the process proceed from there? You apply. Employer likes you. You then apply for a work permit. Is that how it goes?

More than grateful for your responses!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 9:28 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: advice on getting a job in NZ

Originally Posted by ryanlove
My sister who only recently was granted residency status has asked me to come over on a visitors permit and maybe try to look around to see if I wanted to try and work there.
Give it a whirl, she says. Cool.

I'm a 35-year old writer and graphics designer with almost 17 years of professional writing experience and while my skills are not on the ISSL, I've observed that there are plenty of job openings with my qualifications.
What are your qualifications?

I know that looking for work on a visitor's permit is a typical route, but what are the specific things that I should be concerned about? Are most employers accommodating when it comes to a foreigner on a visitor's visa looking for a job? What should be the best approach?
It's probably a good idea not to mention that you are just testing the waters, so to speak. It helps if you can convince a prospective employer that you are willing to make a commitment.

Most importantly, how does the process proceed from there? You apply. Employer likes you. You then apply for a work permit. Is that how it goes?
Sorta...

Yes, you make the rounds with CV, and portfolio in your case, in hand, that's the thing. If the employer is willing to take you on he/she needs to show evidence to NZIS that no suitable Kiwi or permanent resident could be found to do the job and you are a suitable candidate. Then you take this evidence in along with your qualifications and a filled in form. You will have the choice of a one, two or three year temporary visa. I suggest you go for the one year as it will probably let you avoid the medicals and police clearances for the time being. If you plan to stay longer you will need the meds and cop shop report.

More than grateful for your responses!
Good luck, Ryan.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:29 am
Just Joined

ryanlove has a spectacular aura aboutryanlove has a spectacular aura aboutryanlove has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: advice on getting a job in NZ

Thanks!!