British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   advice on flights (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-flights-523451/)

timdy Mar 21st 2008 5:33 pm

advice on flights

Hello Chaps

My wife and I are hopefully going to NZ for 3 weeks leaving either last week july or first week in august.

our question is can anyone tell us the best (cheapest) place to look for flights?

Many thanks for any help

j19fmm Mar 21st 2008 5:47 pm

Re: advice on flights

Originally Posted by timdy (Post 6093862)
Hello Chaps

My wife and I are hopefully going to NZ for 3 weeks leaving either last week july or first week in august.

our question is can anyone tell us the best (cheapest) place to look for flights?

Many thanks for any help

Hi there,Dial a Flight were always very helpful and friendly.Only available over the phone, number in back of weekend papers such as Mail on Sunday.Not got a copy to hand,sorry. Or Google them for it. Spent many hours following up nonexistant deals advertised on webs and then found DaF. Good luck.

hosebergine Mar 21st 2008 10:39 pm

Hello Chaps

Many thanks for any help

try kayak.com
on some routes it shows you which are the cheapest days to fly. I'd book something quickly though as I watched my prices go up by the hour as we waited for leave to be approved!

Kags1694 Mar 22nd 2008 8:13 pm

Hello Chaps

Many thanks for any help

Hi, we are on holiday in New Zealand at the moment. We flew with Korean Airlines from LHR to South Korea, then on to Auckland.
Flight was great.
We paid about £610.00 each. Flight to Korea was busy, but flight to Auckland was empty we had about 3 seats to each off us, great.

Any questions, please do not hesitate to ask

Karen

timdy Mar 22nd 2008 9:14 pm

Hi Karen

many thanks for your post, so, you in NZ now? u lucky people, hope you are having a greeat time!!!!!!

Korean airlines eh? not thought of them, so you would reccoment them?

flipping cheap!!!!!!

j19fmm Mar 22nd 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by timdy (Post 6098078)
Hi Karen

many thanks for your post, so, you in NZ now? u lucky people, hope you are having a greeat time!!!!!!

flipping cheap!!!!!!

I flew with Korean Airways Jan 2006 with my 6ft friend and there was plenty of leg room and lots of empty seats! Think we ended up with the 5 middle seats to ourselves. Long wait at Seoul airport on return to UK so booked (on line from NZ) into the airport hotel for a few hours to sleep.Wasn't over keen on the airline food - we brought rolls with us on the homeward route.Stewardesses very friendly, Seoul airport very clean.Would recommend them.:)

Kags1694 Mar 23rd 2008 5:41 am

Originally Posted by timdy (Post 6098078)
Hi Karen

flipping cheap!!!!!!

Hi our flights include accommodation on return at Seoul airport, we found food ok. On the journey to Seoul we had a tv in back of chair, but on the flight to Auckland we didnt.

We are in back in Mt Maunganui tonight.

Tuesday we travelled to Wanganui, it was lovely we stayed in a back packing lodge it was excellent. We meet a lady who was over from Australia; she was over on holiday researching here family history. We went out for tea with here in the nigh time. The town was like going back in time.

Wednesday we travelled to Wellington, we stayed at a holiday park, it was terrible. We were glad to leave on Thursday. Back to Wellington, We went up on a cable car which takes to you the top of Wellington and back into city centre., we also went to the Museum of New Zealand Te Papa Tongarewa, it was very interesting.

Thursday to travelled to Napier, we were able to stay two nights in the end; every where was full booked, we were lucky they had a cancellation for the Friday Night. Thursday to stayed in a holiday park, that was great, just on the beach, clean (not like the one the night before). Friday night we stayed at a motel, Napier is about 10 years behind the rest of New Zealand, it is very Art Deco town, and it’s like going back in time. Friday, the entire town was closed down because it was Good Friday, we went to the outdoor pools, Bryan & Michael went to play a game of golf afterwards.

Saturday we went to watch the Cricket England Vs New Zealand, weather was hot, we got there about 9.30 and left about 4pm because it was a 4.1/2 hour drive back to Mt Maunganui, we are here for 2 days. We love it here; Bryan would love to be able to get a job offer here.

We have done over 1230 miles so far.

We have been here for the last two weeks, one week to go

irnbru14 Mar 23rd 2008 6:02 am

Hello Chaps

Many thanks for any help

Going straight to the airlines sometimes works out well, or to someone like Austravel, you may not get the cheapest deals but their information is up to that second, as opposed to websites which are not as quickly linked into the flight systems...if you go to Austravels website, you can leave your number and they will call you back

timdy Mar 23rd 2008 10:47 am

Hi Kags

u wateched the cricket?????? NOT FAIR!!!! we watched it on the telly, not quite the same tho *s*

sounds like you are much the same as a lot of other people we have spoken about and love NZ.

we are going to olympia on sat april 5th to Expo08 to find out info on emmigrating to nz. i work in IT and wendy works with young children and we are hopeful of getting to NZ like we said for 3 weeks to see if we like it enough to seriously looki into it. if we go we will probably hire a camper van rather than a car as it might probably work out cheaper, plus we have friends in the south island who we can stay with.

anyway, take care and hope you enjoy the rest of your stay, keep us informed about the rest of your stay.

cheers

tim & wendy

newkiwi Mar 25th 2008 10:00 am

Hello Chaps

Many thanks for any help

try expedia or travelocity.....

catt Mar 25th 2008 4:34 pm

If you go to Expedia and do a search then take the cheapest flight and look at the airline then go straight to the airline and browse their website.

Singapore Airlines are still good to go in my book and seem to have the cheapest slots and more of them..........just my opinion....good luck:thumbup:

Leigh-M Mar 25th 2008 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by catt (Post 6109519)
If you go to Expedia and do a search then take the cheapest flight and look at the airline then go straight to the airline and browse their website.

Singapore Airlines are still good to go in my book and seem to have the cheapest slots and more of them..........just my opinion....good luck:thumbup:

Flight catchers is one I used in Jan. Was a bit sceptical as they are not well known. However, I booked at the last minute and got a reasonable price.

Margaret Parkinson Mar 25th 2008 5:12 pm

We travelled with Singapore Airlines. Just one change at Singapore. All travel agents are out to get your business so I looked on the Singapore site got a price, printed it out and went armed with it to our local travel agents. They were happy to match the price we got quite a lot knocked off.