British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice to emigrating expats for flight to new home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-emigrating-expats-flight-new-home-370194/)

username 34 Apr 27th 2006 3:07 pm

Advice to emigrating expats for flight to new home

just a bit of info for anyone who is emigrating (we havent emigrated to NZ - we're in the West Indies but the same tips apply...)

my dad was a BA pilot and very useful when it came to baggage tips...

as long as you check in REALLY early (preferrably the twilight checkin the night before if you have a day flight, otherwise 3-4 hours before departure) the check-in agents are far more versatile with the baggage allowances. they only tend to get strict from 2 hours onwards when more people are checking in.

We checked in the night before with 10 suitcases, 2 car seats, 2 buggies, 4 boxes and 2 ruckascks!! NO EXCESS LUGGAGE charge on any of it!

Also - if you fancy an upgrade and are willing to pay for one (obviously as cheap as possible) do it whilst on the plane... we sat down in Premium economy and before take off asked how much an upgrade to business class would be if we paid right now and they charged us just £100 per person!!!

might not work all the time but worth the try on a real long haul flight.

Hope this helps some of you...

uk+kiwi Apr 28th 2006 5:11 pm

Re: Advice to emigrating expats for flight to new home

Originally Posted by islandmom
just a bit of info for anyone who is emigrating (we havent emigrated to NZ - we're in the West Indies but the same tips apply...)

Great tips. Will especially remember the upgrade one!

However just thought I'd mention that for people travelling with children under 12, early check-in or online check-in is not possible - with BA anyhow. :mad:

I tried this at Xmas on our trip to NZ with BA. I am a frequent flyer so it particularly annoyed me. For online check-in, their computer system cannot cope with the fact that children under 12 can't sit in some seats, such as emergency aisles, even though I know this so wouldn't choose them. Now if it was for child abduction prevention I would be more understanding. :)

This would have been especially welcomed for our 6am Auckland departure home, to help delay the 3.15 push-back from the North Shore with two young children. Never mind. We'll do it again I'm sure. :)

brackley Apr 29th 2006 2:48 am

thanks for the tip, my husband is going out to nz mid july so i will ask him to try the upgrade, if he's successful the kids and i will try it when we follow in august

neilw71 Apr 29th 2006 4:58 am

Problem is that most of the flights now adays are so full that there is a waitlist for upgrades for Frequent Fliers and they will usually get priority as they spend much more than the occasional flier ever will.

If you get on and the plane is half empty, then always giving things like that a go - but if you have young kids - good luck :)

Neil