Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

advice for emigrating with 5 year old son

advice for emigrating with 5 year old son

Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:02 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: advice for emigrating with 5 year old son

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
You could tell the grandparents the job offer is only for a year or two and then come over for a bit of an adventure? The schools in chch are of a very high standand still and there are a lot of community values attached to the schools - just hard with housing at the moment as there is short supply but not impossible.
I'm still impressed how hard some of the locals are when it comes to the weather, one guy was outside playing in the snow just wearing shorts and a t shirt.

Anyway I've been thinking about this housing crisis they never EVER mention on the news on every station, there's only one sensible solution, it's certainly better than paying a million dollars to live in some sh1thole like Glen Eden or Sandringham in a rotting wooden cabin.

We've got to convert the Domain into a Brazilian style Favela and it needs to be called the Jafavela, here's an artists (me) impression!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...boy/favela.jpg
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:37 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I'm still impressed how hard some of the locals are when it comes to the weather, one guy was outside playing in the snow just wearing shorts and a t shirt.

Anyway I've been thinking about this housing crisis they never EVER mention on the news on every station, there's only one sensible solution, it's certainly better than paying a million dollars to live in some sh1thole like Glen Eden or Sandringham in a rotting wooden cabin.

We've got to convert the Domain into a Brazilian style Favela and it needs to be called the Jafavela, here's an artists (me) impression!

If you live in chch you do not mention the word "cold" as it is a swear word - without a word of a lie, on the radio this morning a weather reporter said how warm it was in christchurch as the temp was a balmy 6 degrees.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 3:40 am
Account Closed

what's wrong with a jaffa-tent - the council would only charge $600 per week for that.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 8:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Good grief. Anyone would think Christchurch was in Siberia. It isn't that cold . It may not be the tropical North but it is certainly not so cold that everyone down there is losing digits to frostbite and freezing to their sheets at night.
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:29 pm
Account Closed

You could have made money from your ideas - there is a property developer marketing shipping containers as the new accom for workers going to chch - www.thepods.co.nz. $250 per week, where you would eat or do your laundry is not clear and how soundproofed are the shipping containers walls?
Old Jun 4th 2013, 10:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BEVS
Good grief. Anyone would think Christchurch was in Siberia. It isn't that cold . It may not be the tropical North but it is certainly not so cold that everyone down there is losing digits to frostbite and freezing to their sheets at night.
Yes that is true as chch can get the most awesome summers and can reach 35 degrees in the summer
Old Jun 6th 2013, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

jjmcglynn is an unknown quantity at this point

No advice, as just looking into the same ourselves but it was very interesting to read this post. My OH is also a civil engineer and has some skype interviews lined up next week, bit worrying that the consensus seems to be 'they' are promising work but there isn't actually much work happening?

We have a 4 year old and a 2 year old so it's a pretty big decision for us too!!

Sorry to hijack your thread, hope to follow your progress!!
Old Jun 7th 2013, 1:01 am
Just Joined

JennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant futureJennyV has a brilliant future

Hi jjmcglynn, there is a lot of work happening, my husband is a geologist/geotechnical engineer who works with the Infrastructure rebuild team and he is incredibly busy. A lot of the work going on at the moment is under the ground, so may not appear to be progress but is. He works with a lot of different companies and he says they are all very busy too PM if your OH wants some info about companies or you want someone who sympathises about moving with pre-schoolers!