British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice on Dunedin (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-dunedin-811218/)

shellmat Oct 4th 2013 11:10 pm

Advice on Dunedin

Hello,

We are going to be visiting Dunedin early next week for a few days with an eye on possible moving there from Chch in the next 12 months. Does anyone living there have any suggestions on good areas to live/visit or any other useful information. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Kind regards,

Martin

Snap Shot Oct 4th 2013 11:28 pm

Re: Advice on Dunedin

Come on BarnselyMatt..............wakey wakey

Dashie Oct 4th 2013 11:34 pm

We have a soft spot for Dunedin, hoping to end up there eventually too :)

I have a friend there who's recommended Mornington as an area, although I have another friend who lives between Dunedin and Mosgiel on a small farm and loves that too. We have our eye on Ravensbourne, but it all depends what you're looking for I suppose.

Anyway, hopefully BarnsleyMatt will come on, I'll be interested in what he says too!

barnsleymat Oct 5th 2013 1:01 am

You make it sound like I'm the voice of Dunedin!

The thing with Dunedin is whatever you're after there's an area to suit you, if you're wanting to live by the beach but not too far away from town areas like St Clair or Andersons Bay are perfect. If you're wanting to live by the beach in a quiet area the places around Brighton are perfect, if living close to town is your thing there's some cracking suberbs like Mornington and Roslyn and if you like the rural scenic way of life the peninsula has some amazing areas. If a big bit of land is your thing people like living out more towards the airport on huge plots and big houses. Whatever you like there's an area for you and houses in every families budget, we live close to the beach in a medium sized house, we wouldn't have got anything like it in the likes of Christchurch, Auckland or Wellington. There's a few areas that aren't quite as nice you might want to stay clear of like South Dunedin and the student areas in North Dunedin, just have a decent drive around and you'll not go wrong.

Dunedin is possibly New Zealand's most beautiful decent sized city and most importantly, housing is very affordable.

gaz1277 Oct 7th 2013 4:12 am

Agree with Matt on that one, it's best to have a drive around (which will take you about 20 minutes from one side to the other, but lots to see in between). We live down the peninsula, a 15 minute drive into town, which is great for the lifestyle/views etc but can be a pain when the kids want to go to their mates/clubs etc or you need to pop to the shop. But thats the choices you have.

Happy hunting

p.s. - Hows Barnsley doing Matt :eek: C'mon you Rovers :thumbsup:

Fooferfish Oct 8th 2013 6:44 am

Ravensbourne , holy crap , well depends on where around that side of the harbour , some of Ravensbourne gets no sun for 3 months of year , perma frost bugger that , cold damp houses for most of that area, depends where you are , higher up the hill ok Nd round by Maia and st Leonard's .

Although the taieri is way better

Dashie Oct 9th 2013 7:15 pm

And a guy I know who lives there says it's nice :)

We would definitely be going for higher up though.

southerner Oct 9th 2013 9:06 pm

we live in Roslyn, a bit more expensive as a suburb, but very close to CBD and good local shops/restaurants/cafes.

Other suburbs we like are:
Waverley
Anderson Bay
St Clair
Belleknowes
Helensburgh
MacAndrew Bay

Rachel-Chadwick Oct 11th 2013 7:13 am

Hi there, we too are just about to move to Dunedin in about 4 weeks, we are currently in Auckland and arrived in April this year from North Wales. My husband is flying down tomorrow to drop off luggage and secure a house that we're hoping to rent in Saint Clair-nice area? We've only briefly visited Dunedin for an afternoon so pretty nervous as so unknown! But everyone I've spoken to says its a lovely city. We have a two year old son so I'm hoping there are plenty of playgroups in the area? My husband will be working in Mosgiel which I also hear is a nice area. It will be nice to finally arrive and if I have any questions I hope I can post to you lovely people on the forum for advice! Thanks

shellmat Oct 18th 2013 3:17 am

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 10931038)
You make it sound like I'm the voice of Dunedin!

The thing with Dunedin is whatever you're after there's an area to suit you, if you're wanting to live by the beach but not too far away from town areas like St Clair or Andersons Bay are perfect. If you're wanting to live by the beach in a quiet area the places around Brighton are perfect, if living close to town is your thing there's some cracking suberbs like Mornington and Roslyn and if you like the rural scenic way of life the peninsula has some amazing areas. If a big bit of land is your thing people like living out more towards the airport on huge plots and big houses. Whatever you like there's an area for you and houses in every families budget, we live close to the beach in a medium sized house, we wouldn't have got anything like it in the likes of Christchurch, Auckland or Wellington. There's a few areas that aren't quite as nice you might want to stay clear of like South Dunedin and the student areas in North Dunedin, just have a decent drive around and you'll not go wrong.

Dunedin is possibly New Zealand's most beautiful decent sized city and most importantly, housing is very affordable.

Hello BarnselyMatt,

Thanks for the advice. We got back from visiting a few days ago and thought Dunedin had some real possibilities, but not so much the city itself - a little bit too hilly. We checked out the areas you suggested and ended up going into Mosgiel when we were around looking around the airport area. I liked it. Housing is more expensive then Dunedin itself, but noticeable cheaper then Christchurch - decisions decisions.

shellmat Oct 18th 2013 3:19 am

Originally Posted by southerner (Post 10937803)
we live in Roslyn, a bit more expensive as a suburb, but very close to CBD and good local shops/restaurants/cafes.

Other suburbs we like are:
Waverley
Anderson Bay
St Clair
Belleknowes
Helensburgh
MacAndrew Bay

Hi Southerner,

Thanks for the suggestion. Visited most of them. We're still trying to decide what to do. I like Christchurch, but the misses want's to move. The problem with Christchurch is the cost of housing.

barnsleymat Oct 18th 2013 7:32 am

When you do arrive give us a shout and we'll all meet up for a beer or something.

Dashie Oct 18th 2013 8:32 am

Are you the official welcoming committee? They should mention that on the Welcome to Dunedin bumf ;)

barnsleymat Oct 18th 2013 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by Dashie (Post 10949825)
Are you the official welcoming committee? They should mention that on the Welcome to Dunedin bumf ;)

:)

There's no room in the council bumf for anything other than Heritage Buildings, (I've got older under crackers than some of these heritage buildings), a new obsession with Cycle Lanes and mentioning some of the very unsuitable events they put on at the 30,000 seater almost unused and tax draining stadium.

It's nice to try and show a bit of love to new arrivals, our first year here was hell so we know how tough it can be.

Dashie Oct 18th 2013 10:31 pm

I try to do the same for people who end up here. Except they all seem to keep leaving...