Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice desperately needed! 8 yo daughter no settling at all!

Advice desperately needed! 8 yo daughter no settling at all!

Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Advice desperately needed! 8 yo daughter no settling at all!

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
BIG, FAT PORKIE PIE
Who said pie?
Old Nov 12th 2011, 3:11 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice desperately needed! 8 yo daughter no settling at all!

Originally Posted by Charismatic
She said Pie AND Cake. Think there may be a lot of us having trouble settling in. VBS, I think I need some of your culinary help as well
Old Nov 12th 2011, 4:06 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Pie and cake?

I'm unsettled!
Old Nov 12th 2011, 5:27 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice desperately needed! 8 yo daughter no settling at all!

Cake is a bit meh but pie is right up my street. Since the advent of corn syrup and cheap artificial sweeteners sweet food has become cheap and proper food expensive . So bugger cake, give me a proper steak and ale pie with gravy that oozes from it and accompanied by thick potato mash .
Old Nov 12th 2011, 11:25 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

3 course meal round BigSticks to help us all settle then methinks ...
Old Nov 12th 2011, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

kiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nicekiwi19 is just really nice

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
My advice would be: buy the invitations before you leave the UK so you don't have to shop around for them. We brought out candles, candle holders and cake decs in our hand luggage. We use the same ones every year, strange tradition but thought at the time we should bring them. Now don't think it made a blind bit of difference but there we go.

Definitely buy some weighing scales and utensils to make cake (mixing bowl, wooden spatula, cake tin etc...) when you first go shopping so it's not a mad rush at the last minute like Beth's was. Get your new address to people asap so birthday mail arrives in time. Otherwise, I would say give people your or your partners work address and have the mail sent there. Also, the presents from other people are really important. We brought my mum's out with us but other than that, nobody bothered. It is now arriving in dribs and drabs... in fact 2 cards came yesterday and a gift too, apologising for being late but her birthday was nearly 4 weeks ago now and to be brutally honest, it doesn't change a thing about her birthday. It still sucked. Maybe it wouldn't have sucked quite so badly if others had pulled their fingers out too. We were rubbish on the cake front I grant you but other than that, all gifts, cards etc... were done in the same way as we did back in the UK. I suppose what I am trying to get across is that it is just as, if not more important that family and friends send the same stuff they would usually send. I wouldn't want another child to be as upset as Beth was the day after her birthday.

Oh and make sure you have access to a cake recipe. All my cookery books are being shipped and we had no web access yet to find one on the web.

Hope that helps,

Natalie
Thank you so much for your advice, we already have family and friends there so hopefully will be a bit easier.
Old Nov 12th 2011, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
3 course meal round BigSticks to help us all settle then methinks ...
I'll sort out a date then
Old Nov 21st 2011, 5:15 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

HELP!!!!

We arrived in Mid Sept and my daughter started school 2 weeks ago. We really hoped that it would help her become less unsettled but she is becoming a total nightmare!

Natalie
So Natalie.

How is it going with your daughter please? A wee bit better I hope.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 3:20 am
Forum Regular

tex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud oftex_ritter has much to be proud of

I don't live in NZ but when my two were young we lived in several places overseas for periods of one to three years.

One thing not to do is get into a dialogue about your move. Explain simply in as few a words as you can that this is home now and we are not going back, full stop, don't get into any more chat on the subject where possible. When the topic pops up again its simply "This is home now". Everytime you respond with an extended conversation on the subject the girl is getting hope of a move back and you need to remove this hope. Harsh ? Maybe, but effective. Bribery is not a good move, think more in terms or rewards and new experiences for her to try. If she plays up in public, don't respond by telling her off, just quietly remove her from the situation and take her home and explain simply that this behaviour is not acceptable and leave it at that; not over responding is cutting off the fuel for future tantrums. You'll be surprised how quickly her attitude will change when she realises she is now in her new home and your not moving.

Worked for us and we now have two really nice young adults who are close to us, done well in School and are all round good people and who also settled in wherever we went.

Good luck in your new home

Last edited by tex_ritter; Nov 22nd 2011 at 3:26 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2011, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute

Well, she still has her moments of saying she wants to go home, that she hates it here and wants to go and see her friends in the UK. We've not had an enormous meltdown in the past week or 2 but I am sure there will be more. It will take time for her to adjust so we are gong to make a real big thing out of Christmas this year.

When she acts up, it is significantly worse than when we left the UK and I suppose that's just another way of her unhappiness with the situation coming out. I am trying not to be too hard on her but some things I find I really lose my temper and shout at her more than I did in the UK e.g. yesterday when she lashed out at the rental TV which we are supposed to be giving back next week. Um, yeah, that's not allowed and I don't care how unhappy you are!

So yes, she is still acting out in other ways even if she isn't sobbing and wailing about it so much. Hopefully it will get less and less as she adjusts. I hope, I hope.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 4:02 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to see that you're still having problems, have you considered seeing a counsellor with her? maybe the school has one they can recommend to you.

When they act up like this for so long the reasons are usually so complex that she doesn't even know herself why she's feeling so angry.

It's the hardest thing to do but don't lose your temper with her, she's transferring on to you the pain she's feeling and your anger will confirm that she's succeeding. Also, you losing your temper will alarm her and make her more insecure and scared than she already is: 'mum's losing her rag, my world is falling apart'

I don't want to tell you how react with her because only you know your child but if something like the TV thing happens again try explain to her that her behaviour is unacceptable, punish her justly and quickly but leave the emotion out of it. See how that works.

Wny not talk to the school, or your GP.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Nov 23rd 2011 at 4:08 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2011, 6:51 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

Well, she still has her moments of saying she wants to go home, that she hates it here and wants to go and see her friends in the UK. We've not had an enormous meltdown in the past week or 2 but I am sure there will be more. It will take time for her to adjust so we are gong to make a real big thing out of Christmas this year.

When she acts up, it is significantly worse than when we left the UK and I suppose that's just another way of her unhappiness with the situation coming out. I am trying not to be too hard on her but some things I find I really lose my temper and shout at her more than I did in the UK e.g. yesterday when she lashed out at the rental TV which we are supposed to be giving back next week. Um, yeah, that's not allowed and I don't care how unhappy you are!

So yes, she is still acting out in other ways even if she isn't sobbing and wailing about it so much. Hopefully it will get less and less as she adjusts. I hope, I hope.
is she getting a hard time at school? sometimes it is not obvious but continual slight exclusion by others, being made to feel different, feeling on the outside, feeling excluded can cause a build up of anger without the child being able to realise it. have you talked to your daughter to ask her why she does not like it here and why she wants to go back to UK? it is the little things which can have such a big effect. things can escalate if nothing is addressed. maybe she needs a neutral person to talk to so that she can safely vent her spleen (by that i mean that she would not be upsetting anyone in the family by taking out her anger on them).

Last edited by tweetweet; Nov 23rd 2011 at 6:53 am.
Old Dec 7th 2011, 10:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

GoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond reputeGoingIn2011 has a reputation beyond repute
Default UPDATE!! Advice desperately needed! 8 yo daughter no settling at all!

UPDATE!!!

Our stuff came on Monday last week and Beth sat in her bedroom with her bed, wardrobe, toys etc... and announced 'Now it feels like home'. The smell of the wood from her bed smelled just like our old house.

We skyped with one of my closest friends whose daughter used to be one of Beth's good friends on Monday evening. I explained that Ailie couldn't chat just then because she had just left for school. Beth went off and got her old school class photo and shed a tear. I went in her room at the end of the Skype call and we had a chat and she was much, much better. She was a bit sad but calmer and more rational than before. I explained about all the people who had left her class since she left... her friend Daisy has moved to Cheltenham, Joel in her class just moved to Blemheim, Arthur had left and someone else had taken his place etc... said even in the UK things weren't the same as they had been. She was soooo good about it. Nodded her head, understood what I was saying without being so hysterically upset that she was unable to hear / listen to what I had to say.

She does say in her moments of falling out with her new best friend that she wants to go back to England but it's now more of a statement to hurt the other girl rather than so much of a true desire.

Obviously it's not all sunshine and roses but I think, I really do think we have turned a corner here.

Thanks for the support everyone!

Natalie
Old Dec 8th 2011, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

fabo
Old Dec 8th 2011, 4:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Pleased to read that

that the Christmas and New Year break is all good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.