Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice on cars from UK to NZ, New or Used, Type

Advice on cars from UK to NZ, New or Used, Type

Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Simmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Advice on cars from UK to NZ, New or Used, Type

Hi, my husband and I are moving to NZ this year (me in May and my husband in August).

Just wondering if anyone would give advice on a good car to ship that if they had their time over again what would they bring over to NZ? So I am trying to weigh up value in UK versus value in NZ, what would be a smart buy?

At the moment we are thinking either a Land Rover Defender or a VW Amarok because our plans include buying some land and having a little farm somewhere in the vicinity of Nelson on the South Island. So we are after some practicality from a vehicle. In saying this however I am interested in comments on all types of vehicles.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Simmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond reputeSimmor14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cars from UK to NZ, advice please

Hi, my husband and I are moving to NZ this year (me in May and my husband in August).

Just wondering if anyone would give advice on a good car to ship that if they had their time over again what would they bring over to NZ? So I am trying to weigh up value in UK versus value in NZ, what would be a smart buy?

At the moment we are thinking either a Land Rover Defender or a VW Amarok because our plans include buying some land and having a little farm somewhere in the vicinity of Nelson on the South Island. So we are after some practicality from a vehicle. In saying this however I am interested in comments on all types of vehicles.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on cars from UK to NZ, New or Used, Type

Have you looked in TradeMe to check the price of used vehicles in NZ? This should tell you if buying new in the UK (or used) will give you a better deal.

Also, a lot of vehicles in NZ are Japanese, because second hand vehicles get shipped over from Japan and sold in NZ.

Have you considered a Toyota? I understand this is the vehicle of choice for the world's armed militia so it is probably at least as rugged as the European options you listed and may well have a better dealer network.

You need to establish that it is cheaper to import than to buy in NZ, obviously.
You also have to check that any new car warranty will transfer to NZ - warranties are transferable across Europe as far as I know but you don't want to be fighting a battle with the NZ dealer network to get any repairs under warranty.

Up until recently it saved money to bring a motor home into NZ from the UK but a motor home is generally a bigger ticket item than a ute.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 6:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

You need to own the vehicle for a minimum of 12 months before you can ship it to NZ.
Old Jan 15th 2016, 8:29 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

My friend bought a range rover defender here in NZ, no problems and easy on the warranty. As said to bring over on import you would need to check with NZ aa that it would adhere to standards. It would also need to be inspected, road taxed, and wof'ed before you can drive it. Also on inspection if they find any sort of cobwebs or similar picked up on route they will charge you to have it cleaned. We paid for complete steam wash inside and out before we left UK And luckily did not pick up any bugs on the way. We only bought ours over as knew we had no money to purchase here. Although ours is a vauxhall, part Of Holden who are big here, they still had to import a starter motor from the UK which cost quite a bit
I personally say you may be better off buying here.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cars from UK to NZ, advice please

Originally Posted by Simmor14 View Post

Overall European makes are not particularly popular (or that common) in NZ. It tends to be Japanese eg Toyota, Nissan, Isuzu etc which are viewed as tougher/more easily maintained. As an example in SUV form RAV4, Highlander or Prado (small Land Cruiser) or a farm ute eg Hilux

Have a look at Autotrader NZ for local prices (though you will find some models there never seen in Europe). Note petrol and auto are usual rather than diesel/manual.

But if you want to be different go for it.

Peter

Last edited by Kotare; Jan 16th 2016 at 1:18 am.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cars from UK to NZ, advice please

Agreed on Japanese cars, reliable and parts are cheap here. You just don't get the rust in New Zealand so used cars tend to hold their value longer. At a guess I'd say the biggest difference in prices is probably in used Toyota and Nissan 4x4s and utes with petrol engines which are very popular here.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Note most Toyota/Nissan dealers will give you a three year manufacturer's warranty even on 2-3 year old (60k km) vehicles which must reflect their longevity in NZ conditions.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 2:49 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Don't buy to bring, as you will have owned it less than 12mths prior to it shipping or you leaving the UK it will attract import tax.

That together with the import costs and risks, the figures don't stack up IMHO.

What you want is a vehicle that can be maintained where you end up in NZ, outside the major centres that really means Japanese.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Simmor14 View Post

Even if I had my time again I wouldn't ship our UK cars over. We had 2 cracking motors and a motorbike and after some research in to costs for shipping, importing and all the NZTA stuff it was just too much red tape and costs for it to be viable.
If I could have brought something with me it'd be a tourer caravan of six. They go for insane money here. Same with motor homes and camper vans. There is some works that need to be done in NZ to make them compliant (electrics and gas) but once this relatively cheap work has been done the rewards are immense. Spend £2k on a decent tourer van in the UK with awnings n all the other usual stuff and get $15k + for it here.

There really are very few European cars here. Parts are difficult to find or expensive and time consuming to ship with possible import costs at customs. The market is awash with Japanese stuff. If you want new you can get some excellent deals out there if you are willing to wait and negotiate. We got a cracker of a deal on a new 2015 Miti Outlander a few months ago. $11000 off list price, brand new car with all the warranties, free service, 1/3 1/3 1/3 finance plus loads of extra's. They also gave us way more for our part ex. than we thought they would. They also do great deals on UTE's and other more farm orientated vehicles often.
Why bring a motor over from the UK that is to UK spec, in MPH and odo in miles and probably a manual diesel when you can have a car that most other people would have here so easily resalable etc.
Think the only time I've seen a Defender here is at an old UK car show on the beach
Amarok's are cool and seen many on the road here but the difference with bringing one from the UK will be the fuel type and gearbox. Unable to transfer the warranty. Sat Nav won't work.

Save your money and get something here after you've some experience of driving in NZ in the place where you wish to live.
Best 4x4 I've driven here so far must be a Toyota Highlander v6. Awesome SUV but unfortunately too expensive to buy for us. Also our friends have a long wheelbase Mitsi Shogun/Pajaro. It's huge. 7 seater and 3.8 ltr V6 petrol. Awesome car.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed this is a duplicate thread.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 12:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat View Post
Just noticed this is a duplicate thread.
Yes sorry, I couldn't work out how to delete this one I put under the wrong section?
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan View Post
My friend bought a range rover defender here in NZ, no problems and easy on the warranty. As said to bring over on import you would need to check with NZ aa that it would adhere to standards. It would also need to be inspected, road taxed, and wof'ed before you can drive it. Also on inspection if they find any sort of cobwebs or similar picked up on route they will charge you to have it cleaned. We paid for complete steam wash inside and out before we left UK And luckily did not pick up any bugs on the way. We only bought ours over as knew we had no money to purchase here. Although ours is a vauxhall, part Of Holden who are big here, they still had to import a starter motor from the UK which cost quite a bit
I personally say you may be better off buying here.
Appreciate the info and advice thanks, still weighing it up but must say it is leaning more on the "buy it in NZ" side
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat View Post
Have you looked in TradeMe to check the price of used vehicles in NZ? This should tell you if buying new in the UK (or used) will give you a better deal.

Also, a lot of vehicles in NZ are Japanese, because second hand vehicles get shipped over from Japan and sold in NZ.

Have you considered a Toyota? I understand this is the vehicle of choice for the world's armed militia so it is probably at least as rugged as the European options you listed and may well have a better dealer network.

You need to establish that it is cheaper to import than to buy in NZ, obviously.
You also have to check that any new car warranty will transfer to NZ - warranties are transferable across Europe as far as I know but you don't want to be fighting a battle with the NZ dealer network to get any repairs under warranty.

Up until recently it saved money to bring a motor home into NZ from the UK but a motor home is generally a bigger ticket item than a ute.
Thank you! All good things to think about. We are now looking at Hiluxs in NZ and motor homes in the UK, lol! Really appreciate your comments, just don't want to get to NZ and kick ourselves.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 1:48 pm
Watching from the Shore

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Two threads merged

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.