British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   advice booking flights one way or return (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-booking-flights-one-way-return-832472/)

wakeride Apr 28th 2014 7:30 pm

advice booking flights one way or return

hi there my visa is now in its final stages and should be issued in a couple of weeks fingers crossed. i will be working in mount wellington so now looking for places to live if any one has any advice on areas within 30 min drive would be good. so with the flight I'm am unsure if i should book one way or return flights. i will need to travel with quiet a lot of luggage as i will be taking tools over and some sports equipment. i have found air new zealand to be the best a £2400 with 5 bags at 23kg each this is for 2 people or do we book return flights. we feel this may waste our holidays time.

moonie2011 Apr 28th 2014 9:11 pm

Re: advice booking flights one way or return

I have friends that always buy return, that means that they always have a flight home, they just extend the return date and pay admin costs. Then when they know the are visiting uk a family member buys their next flight back to NZ.

MrsFychan Apr 28th 2014 10:06 pm

unless you have the visa in your passport on arriving at the airport you will need a return or they may not let you board with a one way ticket.

Justcol Apr 29th 2014 3:59 am

Can you clarify the baggage
5 bags st 23kg each??
Is that a total of 115 kg or 5 bags totalling 23kg??
When are you planning on flying ?

Helen256 Apr 29th 2014 5:41 am

I came across to NZ waiting for my visa to be official (it was just as we got to America...) and was forced, at the airport, to buy a return ticket.
I asked the immigration officer if I would be ok... he said yes. Turns out, my immigration officer was beyond useless...

wakeride Apr 29th 2014 7:50 pm

i got the job about 3 weeks ago and co has gone over every thing and just awaiting the ewrb licence so visa should be in the passport very soon. i am looking at going over in the middle of aug. as for baggage would be buying 3 extra bags then should be able to bring 5 at 23kg over and that should be a good start

Bo-Jangles Apr 30th 2014 7:25 am

Still not understanding the five bag thing - usual allowance is one bag each at 23kg. If you're thinking excess baggage for a further three bags that will cost and arm and a leg and you should look at other options to get those shipped. Logistics of two people carting that much luggage across the world; into and out of taxis, lifts, hotels etc. along with hand luggage would be near to impossible to manage anyway.

wakeride Apr 30th 2014 7:11 pm

yes its 235 quid extra for the 3 bags at 23kg each the other option we are looking at is unaccompanied luggage that we could pick up a couple of days later. the bags are a bit of a bitch to carry bin there and done that quiet a few times now with 2x bags at 30kg and hand baggage while flying with work. it is not idea but will need quiet a bit of stuff when we first arrive as container will be arriving 3 month later and i can't be without tools and test equipment as i won't be able to do my job. it is the same with my partner. how has any one else got tools over

ChrisWilson7 Apr 30th 2014 10:03 pm

Singapore Airlines allow 30kg checked baggage per person in economy as standard nowadays, and the route is a good one with a very pleasant airport/city to connect through. Not sure about their extra baggage charges though. Other than Singapore I have only travelled to NZ with Malaysian, again a good carrier but I think they are still at 23kg.

BEVS Apr 30th 2014 10:11 pm

It is quite a while ago now but the trade firm my husband went to work for and other tradesmen there lent my husband tools until his own arrived in the container.

Might be worth you having the conversation. That's a lot of $$ you are paying to bring them with you.

edit.

As long as you have your work visa firmly in your passport for when you travel, you should not need a return ticket. However, if you are intended to make a UK return then buying a return ticket and extending the travel date of the return portion would be very cost effective.

Pollyana May 1st 2014 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by wakeride (Post 11241250)
yes its 235 quid extra for the 3 bags at 23kg each the other option we are looking at is unaccompanied luggage that we could pick up a couple of days later. the bags are a bit of a bitch to carry bin there and done that quiet a few times now with 2x bags at 30kg and hand baggage while flying with work. it is not idea but will need quiet a bit of stuff when we first arrive as container will be arriving 3 month later and i can't be without tools and test equipment as i won't be able to do my job. it is the same with my partner. how has any one else got tools over

Have a look at prices to send them air freight with someone like Seven Seas or Excess Baggage Co - almost as quick and could be cheaper :)

Blade Down Under May 5th 2014 1:08 am

Are you coming on resident/work visas????

My wife and 2 kids are flying over in July with Singapore Airlines to Sydney and they've got 40kg per bag. They can have a maximum of 2 bags at 40kg per person, before they require paying extra baggage costs

I flew out on my own with British Airways and had 40kg but only took one bag with me instead of 2. No way could I to and fro all the time with 2 40kg suitcases.