Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Advice on areas....

Advice on areas....

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all
Question Advice on areas....

I know this is a bit random but.....we can't really afford to do a pre emmigration recce so we're just going to bite the bullet and come over. Our sis/in law has lived in Auckland but its too big for us I think so we automatically looked then at Wellington - my OH is in IT (business support, project management) and there do seem to be a lot of opportunities for him there.
BUT.... I'm worried we may have overlooked all the other great places NZ has to offer. I think the prices of houses in Wellington seem to be a lot higher than other places and although we have quite a lot of equity to bring with us, the idea is to be nearly mortgage free not saddle ourselves with another biggy.
Can anyone already there offer any advice as to job opps for OH in any of the other areas? Eg Palmerston, BOP, Hamilton etc etc. I guess whats right for one person might not be right for another but.....I await your replies.
thanks
sb
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:04 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice on areas....

Yep lots and lots of IT jobs in Wellington, however do look outside the central areas. I'm up near Porirua, well within commuting distance, and we bought with only one of us earning. It can be done. Get a detailed map, or look on wises.co.nz, and figure out commuting times (I use the public Metlink trains) via metlink.org.nz
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
Yep lots and lots of IT jobs in Wellington, however do look outside the central areas. I'm up near Porirua, well within commuting distance, and we bought with only one of us earning. It can be done. Get a detailed map, or look on wises.co.nz, and figure out commuting times (I use the public Metlink trains) via metlink.org.nz

Near Porirua??? Girl, don't go getting all posh on us, sorry to tell you Aotea IS in Porirua

As for areas - if you like Wellington do look outside the central / city area - you get a lot more for your money if you look outside, we're in Papakowhai (Porirua) and it's about a 20 minute commute to Wellington - 30 minutes when it's busy.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:37 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by donnaf
Near Porirua??? Girl, don't go getting all posh on us, sorry to tell you Aotea IS in Porirua

As for areas - if you like Wellington do look outside the central / city area - you get a lot more for your money if you look outside, we're in Papakowhai (Porirua) and it's about a 20 minute commute to Wellington - 30 minutes when it's busy.
Well officially it's a suburb, so it's not Porirua Central.

Yep this is a great area. But we're full. (J/K)
Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:43 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Maz
Well officially it's a suburb, so it's not Porirua Central.

Yep this is a great area. But we're full. (J/K)
I think Papakowhai is much nicer anyway...........

Old Feb 24th 2008, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by saritabear
I know this is a bit random but.....we can't really afford to do a pre emmigration recce so we're just going to bite the bullet and come over. Our sis/in law has lived in Auckland but its too big for us I think so we automatically looked then at Wellington - my OH is in IT (business support, project management) and there do seem to be a lot of opportunities for him there.
BUT.... I'm worried we may have overlooked all the other great places NZ has to offer. I think the prices of houses in Wellington seem to be a lot higher than other places and although we have quite a lot of equity to bring with us, the idea is to be nearly mortgage free not saddle ourselves with another biggy.
Can anyone already there offer any advice as to job opps for OH in any of the other areas? Eg Palmerston, BOP, Hamilton etc etc. I guess whats right for one person might not be right for another but.....I await your replies.
thanks
sb
I think there is too much (self inflicted) pressure on the new expat to find the perfect dream home in the first month of arriving.

I have dropped you a PM - hope its of some help, Kate.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
I think Papakowhai is much nicer anyway...........

just a little water view...from Halladale Road...........

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 24th 2008 at 11:04 am.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee
just a little water view...from Halladale Road...........
eh? ur having a bubble arent you? you havent been to my house - water views all round

(ok that sounds quite pretentious)
Attached Thumbnails Advice on areas....-newview.jpg  

Last edited by dreamfish; Feb 24th 2008 at 7:19 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

eh? ur having a bubble arent you? you havent been to my house - water views all round

(ok that sounds quite pretentious)
no... of course not...haven't been to your house...

hmmmm... I am not sure it was that water view?? when we lived there... We were at the top of the hill...Halladale Road!!!!

yeah water views all round - nothing fancy eh?

It was a new area at that time but now must be old..

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 24th 2008 at 7:46 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:44 pm

no... of course not...haven't been to your house...

hmmmm... I am not sure it was that water view?? when we lived there... We were at the top of the hill...Halladale Road!!!!

yeah water views all round - cheap nothing fancy eh?

It was a new area at that time but now must be old..
gees how to burst someone's bubble
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

saritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to allsaritabear is a name known to all

i thought i heard a pop!
Old Feb 24th 2008, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

no..... it's great

I've never appreciated water views in my life so... it's just me...

now I've realized we only lived in a house with a water view in NZ (except this time in AKL) and I didn't like it at all (bloody cold). It was mum's choice. I prefer a townhouse or an apartment - warmer, safer and more convenient.

Last edited by crap coffee; Feb 24th 2008 at 8:28 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:06 pm

no..... it's great

I've never appreciate water views in my life so... it's just me...

now I've realized we only lived in a house with a water view in NZ (except this time in AKL) and I didn't like it at all (bloody cold). It was mum's choice. I prefer a townhouse or an apartment - warmer, safer and more convenient.
ok - explanation appreciated

crap coffee - a little bitter, but with a little sweetener and a sprinkling of chocolate flakes, (oo and dont forget the diddy pink and white marshmallows on the side) - she'll come good.
Old Feb 24th 2008, 8:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ok - explanation appreciated

crap coffee - a little bitter, but with a little sweetener and a sprinkling of chocolate flakes, (oo and dont forget the diddy pink and white marshmallows on the side) - she'll come good.
You bet : )