Reload this Page >

Advice Appreciated on Quick Move

Advice Appreciated on Quick Move

Old Oct 4th 2011, 11:02 am
Just Joined

Coleyheb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice Appreciated on Quick Move

Hi there,
just joined this thread and I'm hoping I can get some quick advice if at all possible.
I have had a bit of a whirlwind romance with a NZlander, met on internet, intensive communication for 3 months, then she came over to holiday for 4 weeks which was great.
So the next stage is getting together and we can only do this if one of us moves and the easy option for a number of reasons (including the fact I took redundancy recently), is for me to move to NZ.
So seeing as I have a dog and want to avoid the new restrictions I'm heading for an early move out in December, leaves not too much time to dot the i's and cross the t's.
The plan is - go out on normal 6 month visitor visa, (assuming all goes well) apply for 12 month partnership visa as soon as we can (maybe after 3/4months), then start the process about 3 months into the temp work visa being issued for permanent residence.
I am assuming that as long as I have the 12 month partnership visa (which also qualifies me to work) I will also be able to come to and from the UK to sort any stuff out I need to, as I will be leaving everything here as it is and going out with just a couple of bags (unless anyone can suggest a cost effective way of getting some more stuff out without too much organising)

Can anyone see any problems with these propsals from a practical viewpoint (not looking for any comments on the risks in respect of the relationship). On paper is all seems too easy (though we may have to be convincing re persuading the authorities about the relationship due to the duration of living together being less than 12 months).

Are there any things I will need to do that I may not have thought of other than the obvious re address changes, contacting IR, etc etc.
I was wondering about the issue of needing loads of documentation from converting from temp work visa to permanent residence and I believe I need medical checks and police checks and assume that I can travel back here with no problem to get these?? Or do I need these before I leave initially? My partner has contacted the immigration service and they have suggested this route and don't forsee any problems. I have a professional public sector accountancy qualification and may be able to get a job offer...or is that just wishful thinking?

I feel a bit uneasy as I don't want to rush out there and then wish I did something a different way. Neither of us really want to wait the 6/7 months which will be our next window. My aim is to get settled with the temp work visa, so I can get work (hopefully) as soon as possible. Return to sort out all my stuff when I get permanent residence.
I have skimmed quite a few posts and get the feeling it may not be as easy as the above?
any thoughts would be appreciated
Regards
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:44 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice Appreciated on Quick Move

Hi Coleyheb and welcome to BE.

I think you are going to possibly come unstuck with the fact that you really need to have been living together for a minimum of 12 months to apply for the Partnership Category of PR. Whether you can get round this with your 6 month visitor visa first I'm not convinced.

I was married to my Kiwi ex for 12 years and had 4 kids with him prior to my emmigrating and even then they requested more evidence of the partnership. This included dated photographs together, joint bills, insurances, mortgage etc.

I assume you have checked NZIS who state "You and your partner have been living together in a genuine and stable relationship for 12 months or more" in order to qualify under the Family (Partner) Category.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Hi there, many thanks for your response.
Yes we have seen the 12 month statement, plus other narrative which suggests that we may be able to apply prior to the 12 months but can't remember where, we were going through the immigration site.

My partner has spoken to someone at the immigration office and what we were planning to do is more or less what she suggested.
I had an inkling however that things may not be that easy.
I think I would get 150 points though on the score system, so maybe that may be a way to stay beyond the 6 months, assuming I am selected.

Does anyone know at which point I will get asked for health checks and police checks?

Many thanks for the response, any follow up or further advice would be appreciated
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:56 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

You can have your medical done in NZ or the UK and send off for the police checks from NZ if you are already here. The medicals and chest xray last for 3 months and the police checks for 6 months, so timing is pretty important.
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

Oh and as an addition, I think we were advised I would get a 12 month temp visa on the basis of our partnership, and then some time into that we could apply for permanent residency under the Family category?
Does that make sense?
Old Oct 4th 2011, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks again, it is fraught on a potentially tight timescale for moving over there and any information is a great help!!
Old Oct 4th 2011, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If you can secure a job the "normal" process can be very short.
I had a neighbour who was in nz only 8 to 10 weeks after making the PR application.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 12:12 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Is that 150 points with or without a job offer? If it is without then you may be better off just applying on your own and getting residency straight away as any application with >140pts is automatically selected every fortnight.
You could do this now. If it is with a job offer then obviously you will have to get one which you may only be able to do once in NZ- depending on your occupation.
Nothing stopping you putting in an application for residency as a skilled migrant and coming over on a visitor visa at the same time if you can. That way you have no worries about having to get a work visa/prove relationship etc.

I was in a similar position to you in some ways- met my partner on holiday and decided to move to NZ to be with him [to cut a long story short!!] . Maybe it was an early midlife crisis or a moment of madness but it's working out very well Anyway I digress, I applied for residency before coming over as I had enough points to do so [occupation on the skills shortage list] and wanted the certainty of having a visa already in place. That route worked for me, it may or may not for you.
Maybe work out a definite points total as you say you only think you have 150 points.
Old Oct 6th 2011, 7:04 am
Just Joined

Hi many thanks for the last 2 responses.

I shall double check my points total. I'm not on the shortage list but in skill level 1, though I have to check that my qualification is recognised in NZ (public sector accountancy CIPFA). Hopefully I shall find that out today!

Glad to hear your leap of faith is working out okay, it does help to hear good news moves!!