Reload this Page >

Advice about RNZN please!!!!

Advice about RNZN please!!!!

Old Jun 25th 2009, 4:30 pm
Just Joined

Rich n Emma is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice about RNZN please!!!!

Hiya,

Myself and my hubby are off to London for our interview for acceptance into the RNZN in October and are just after a bit of advice about the whole process. He is a Engineering Tech (CPO) and we have done all the paperwork side and we have just got the formal interview to go. Is there anyone on here who has gone through the process already??
Have seen the negative points about poor wages etc but we're after a better lifestyle for our daughter, not to become millionaires!!!
Just wanted to see if there are any RN to RNZN transfers on here!

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

teebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond reputeteebrown has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice about RNZN please!!!!

Hi, sorry can't answer your questions about the Navy, but we joined the Army over here and are loving it. I'm sure there was someone on here whos wife was in the Navy, so maybe they will see your post. I just wanted to say good luck. As you say we too didn't want to become millionaires it was the life style we are going for and we are definitely getting it, there is loads to do, my two kids love it here, school is so relaxed and the military work is very simular.

All the best
Old Jun 26th 2009, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I went through the process a few years ago and it was very slow - but this was before the RNZN set up a dedicated Lateral Recruiting team. I believe they can now process applications quite quickly, so provided your interview is successful, you will probably be able to be over here as soon as you can sort out house sale, release from RN, PR etc

The overall relocation package that RNZN offers is pretty good. As for salary, the pay review last year means that technicians are on a competitive package now so I wouldn't be too concerned by some of the stuff you read on here. Obviously, do your budgeting and be realistic about what to expect re house prices, cost of living etc. But there are a lot of NZ families surviving quite nicely on less than a CPO technician gets paid

I think the most iportant advice is to remember that the RNZN is not the RN. Some things are different here and it's best to embrace the differences, not complain about them and point out how things are done in the UK!

Good luck with the interview
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:11 am
Just Joined

Hiya, thanks for replying, just a quick on for lapsed kiwi, do you know what the rough wage of a chief tech is or is it the same as a basic chief which we know is $60000? We're hoping the interview goes well too and we are getting ready to put our house on the market as i write this. We plan to come out to NZ regardless but my husband would rather join their navy as he loves the lifestyle. As for the different ways they run their navy to the RN, it changes here ship by ship or captain by captain so he's not worried on that front and is happy to accept the changes.

Thanks again.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:51 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

You should be well into the 70s as a chief tech. I'll look up the exact figure and get back to you
WE or ME?
Old Jun 27th 2009, 7:42 am
Just Joined

WE, thats a lot more than we expected!!!!

Really am grateful.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

OK, here are the figures:

CPO on promotion should be on $74366. This should rise to $81162 within about 4-5 years depending on gaining qualifications, sea time, etc. Where you sit between these figures and how you progress, as an "import" will depend on previous service.
These are "total package" figures, and include:
- 4% contribution to super (pension) scheme, to qualify for which you need to contribute at least 2% of salary (so you in effect need to reduce by 6% to determine what you actually get right now)
- $6100 accommodation allowance, which you will not get if you choose to live in a service house (MQ)

You also need to deduct PAYE from these figures - I think there is a calculator on the NZ IRD website to do this

Hope this helps