Advice

Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:30 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice

Originally Posted by mazi
And some people have genuine reason for moaning about it - and those comments can be just as helpful; a positive NZ comment does not necessarily equal helpful (ditto neg NZ does not necessarily equal helpful, I realise that). However I don't think people should just ignore negative comments, they may be pertinent to some people's situations.

And just for the record, I wasn't happy in NZ but I sure am in Italy.
Ciao, Mazi. Come è l'Italia?

You're absolutely right about negative comments. I need them all. My friends aren't looking for utopia, just a fresh start far enough away from things that have caused them pain in the past, but you're right, and I need to hear all of it.
I think Littletoe was specifically referring to the silly comment ...
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:40 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iPom
Ciao, Mazi. Come è l'Italia?

You're absolutely right about negative comments. I need them all. My friends aren't looking for utopia, just a fresh start far enough away from things that have caused them pain in the past, but you're right, and I need to hear all of it.
I think Littletoe was specifically referring to the silly comment ...
E bella l'Italia! (My keyboard is all to pot and I can't get the accents at the moment.) I am currently enjoying the idea of 'bella figura', that's a concept I missed while in NZ. Actually I just missed the 21st century while in NZ. Apparently it was happening elsewhere in the world

Sorry if that's a silly comment - I have plenty which are of a more serious nature.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:45 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

And some people have genuine reason for moaning about it - and those comments can be just as helpful; a positive NZ comment does not necessarily equal helpful (ditto neg NZ does not necessarily equal helpful, I realise that). However I don't think people should just ignore negative comments, they may be pertinent to some people's situations.

And just for the record, I wasn't happy in NZ but I sure am in Italy.
And to refer to previous statements I have made in the past (because some people don't seem to understand my point) I make references to comments that are stupid, there a LOT of them, people with CONSTRUCTIVE comments are helpful people. People that just want to moan and say how crap NZ is should vent to friends (although I doubt that's possible in some cases)or family, certainly someone that gives a damn. It seems that mindless bitchy attacks about NZ are forgotton on here. Its not a case of good and bad comments, its useful or uselss. And I think its glaringly obvious which one's they are. I'm not going to argue about this though, I made my comments on the appropiate thread

Good for Italy.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 11:50 am
Account Closed

E bella l'Italia! (My keyboard is all to pot and I can't get the accents at the moment.) I am currently enjoying the idea of 'bella figura', that's a concept I missed while in NZ. Actually I just missed the 21st century while in NZ. Apparently it was happening elsewhere in the world

Sorry if that's a silly comment - I have plenty which are of a more serious nature.

LOL! Sono un allievo di italiano. Sono lento! Amo l'Italia. È un paese bello con la gente bella.

Serio o silly. È giusto.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:29 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Littletoe
And to refer to previous statements I have made in the past (because some people don't seem to understand my point) I make references to comments that are stupid, there a LOT of them, people with CONSTRUCTIVE comments are helpful people. People that just want to moan and say how crap NZ is should vent to friends (although I doubt that's possible in some cases)or family, certainly someone that gives a damn. It seems that mindless bitchy attacks about NZ are forgotton on here. Its not a case of good and bad comments, its useful or uselss. And I think its glaringly obvious which one's they are. I'm not going to argue about this though, I made my comments on the appropiate thread

Good for Italy.
Don't be defensive, you daftie. People who want to vent can do so wherever they like and this is a forum for those moving to/those who have the experience of having moved to NZ so there are bound to be people who want to have a moan about things that get/got up their noses. If people don't like that they can choose not to read it. Besides I think you'll find a lot of the negative comments are made in the spirit of dry humour and it is a truth universally acknowledged (I sound like bloomin' Jane Austin here) that people who are made out to be baddies will eventually act up to that persona. Anyway, many of the negative people on here have made friends through this forum so as you suggested, they are venting to people who give a damn. Moreover what you consider to be constructive or useful may not be what someone else considers to be so, and vice versa.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Don't be defensive, you daftie. People who want to vent can do so wherever they like and this is a forum for those moving to/those who have the experience of having moved to NZ so there are bound to be people who want to have a moan about things that get/got up their noses. If people don't like that they can choose not to read it. Besides I think you'll find a lot of the negative comments are made in the spirit of dry humour and it is a truth universally acknowledged (I sound like bloomin' Jane Austin here) that people who are made out to be baddies will eventually act up to that persona. Anyway, many of the negative people on here have made friends through this forum so as you suggested, they are venting to people who give a damn. Moreover what you consider to be constructive or useful may not be what someone else considers to be so, and vice versa.
I think us Brits are very good at dry humour. It's a difference I've found with Australians here recently. LOL!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

LOL! Sono un allievo di italiano. Anche io! (ma solo principiante) Sono lento! Lei e (accento!) troppo modesto. Amo l'Italia. È un paese bello con la gente bella.Penso che la gente bella e (accento!) la mia favorita cosa de la vita italiana, anche il cibo.

Serio o silly. È giusto.
Grazie per la sua mano amichevole - la prossima volta posso usare 'tu'?!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:51 pm
Account Closed

Grazie per la sua mano amichevole - la prossima volta posso usare 'tu'?!
Grazi molto!

Certamente!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 12:54 pm
Account Closed

iPom, back to your friends - they sound like they've had a rough time but moving to a faraway land will not necessarily be the solution - they'll carry their memories with them. I can understand their want/need for emigration and a totally different type of life but why do they think NZ is the place - because it so far away or because they have a real desire to go to NZ? If it is the former, distance may not make any difference and moving to eg. France would do the job just as well. However, if it is the latter, fair enough. What about them moving to Oz - they obviously have a good friend in you and I'd say it's friends and support they need rather than a complete overhaul of every aspect of their life.

But I could be wrong, of course!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

Hmmm - they've seen the pics and done research and it seems far enough for them. I think they have real desire to do something totally different. I think France is also too close to the UK for them.
I think they're more NZ people than Aus... I get the feeling NZ is a little more gentle than Aus... perhaps they need that?

I have travelled extensively in NZ some years back now, backpacking, so I think they're right. They have nothing to lose by moving either. I just want to help them get it right. They don't need more pain.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:21 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Just PM'd you!
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

Hmmm - they've seen the pics and done research and it seems far enough for them. I think they have real desire to do something totally different. I think France is also too close to the UK for them.
I think they're more NZ people than Aus... I get the feeling NZ is a little more gentle than Aus... perhaps they need that?

I have travelled extensively in NZ some years back now, backpacking, so I think they're right. They have nothing to lose by moving either. I just want to help them get it right. They don't need more pain.
You're a good friend. I hope they get what they're looking for.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 1:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Just PM'd you!
Thanks - and I, you.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Littletoe;4311818]

You sound a bit smart! I just had a quick glance at your blog and attached web link. Its really good! Its such a breath of fresh to read something written so well and you don't even have your head up your own, you know what!
you need to get a grasp of reality.... and the opinions of others.... and smartly off your unjusifiably high horse while you are at it....
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:01 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Advice

Back onto topic.

Arriving here on vistors visa's is a good solution for your friends, if they are at that "get up and go" stage.

Worked out fine for us, getting a job and applying for a work permit was pretty stright forward. The work permit application took about four weeks once I had all the correct paperwork.

Just tell them to have the following paperwork at hand.

Job references, qualifcation certifcates, proof of partnership (marriage cert, photos, we used our passport stamps!) and they all have to be orginals or certifed copies.

100K sterling will get them a decent property outside of the main centers. That could get them a 3 bed house with large garden here in Marlborough and still have change to get a boat!

Wishing them the best of luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.