British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Advice on 18 year old moving back to New Zealand on my own please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/advice-18-year-old-moving-back-new-zealand-my-own-please-794077/)

LucyBee90 Apr 15th 2013 3:37 pm

Advice on 18 year old moving back to New Zealand on my own please!

Hi everyone! :)

So, I lived in New Zealand for 8 years until, my family decided to move back to England because all of our family is over here. I hated leaving and never wanted to go, but being 15 at the time, I had no choice. We've been back for 2 years now and I still haven't settled in and I miss New Zealand so much. My parents are loving being back and have no intention what so ever in moving back to New Zealand. I turn 18 at the beginning of next year and have decided I want to move back to New Zealand once I turn 18. I would be moving back on my own, because my family are happy here. I have no family over there, just close friends. There is so much that I need to know before going back for good, but I don't want to ask my parents because they are not really happy about the idea of me going back. I'm doing really badly in my A-levels here, so have decided to go to Wintec to do a childcare course over there, even though I am not quite sure on the qualifications I would need. I can stay at my mates houses, while I am looking for a job. But my question is, can I get some sort of weekly allowance from the government or student allowance because of my age, as I realise that it is really hard to find a job out there at the moment. I do have permanent residency, does that help? And also any other advice on moving back to New Zealand at my age would be really greatful and helpful :) Regarding, living costs and everything else really! And also I only have a part-time job over here, so when I do decide to move I would only have enough money for a one-way flight and spending/living money for a period of time...Thank you :) :) :) x

MrsFychan Apr 15th 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Advice on 18 year old moving back to New Zealand on my own please!

don't think you would get any government help and you would need to apply for a visa and be granted that before you even head on over unless you have Citizenship?

LucyBee90 Apr 15th 2013 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10660358)
don't think you would get any government help and you would need to apply for a visa and be granted that before you even head on over unless you have Citizenship?

hiya! I have permanent residency, does that help? Or would it have to be citizenship?

MrsFychan Apr 15th 2013 3:59 pm

no just thought as you said you had been here 8yrs you might have Citizenship.
I would think very hard about things as it is such a long way to come and so expensive to leave if you want. Perhaps approach your a parents with the idea to just come over to study and not put it to them in such a permanent way and they support you more.
Have a look at what you would need to get into the course you want, I looked on Wintec site and the Early childhood course options both seem to cost $5000 + for NZ residents. not sure if either of these is the course you were thinking about http://www.wintec.ac.nz/courses/subject.aspx

LucyBee90 Apr 15th 2013 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10660395)
no just thought as you said you had been here 8yrs you might have Citizenship.
I would think very hard about things as it is such a long way to come and so expensive to leave if you want. Perhaps approach your a parents with the idea to just come over to study and not put it to them in such a permanent way and they support you more.
Have a look at what you would need to get into the course you want, I looked on Wintec site and the Early childhood course options both seem to cost $5000 + for NZ residents. not sure if either of these is the course you were thinking about http://www.wintec.ac.nz/courses/subject.aspx

I don't think that is the course because that one says level 7. I would be doing a level 3 childcare course at wintec, substituting for A-levels. I'm doing AS level (level 2) at the moment, but my results arnt looking good so I was thinking of doing the childcare level 3 course at wintec instead before going to Uni. Thank you for your help, I know it is a big decision. I'm going back to New Zealand for 6 weeks in a couple of months so that would help me make my decision aswell :)

Persephone Apr 15th 2013 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by LucyBee90 (Post 10660369)
hiya! I have permanent residency, does that help? Or would it have to be citizenship?

If you have an IRRV or a Permanent Resident Visa then you can live and work in NZ, no problems in terms of visas.

Spacecake799 Apr 15th 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by LucyBee90 (Post 10660342)
Hi everyone! :)

So, I lived in New Zealand for 8 years until, my family decided to move back to England because all of our family is over here. I hated leaving and never wanted to go, but being 15 at the time, I had no choice. We've been back for 2 years now and I still haven't settled in and I miss New Zealand so much. My parents are loving being back and have no intention what so ever in moving back to New Zealand. I turn 18 at the beginning of next year and have decided I want to move back to New Zealand once I turn 18. I would be moving back on my own, because my family are happy here. I have no family over there, just close friends. There is so much that I need to know before going back for good, but I don't want to ask my parents because they are not really happy about the idea of me going back. I'm doing really badly in my A-levels here, so have decided to go to Wintec to do a childcare course over there, even though I am not quite sure on the qualifications I would need. I can stay at my mates houses, while I am looking for a job. But my question is, can I get some sort of weekly allowance from the government or student allowance because of my age, as I realise that it is really hard to find a job out there at the moment. I do have permanent residency, does that help? And also any other advice on moving back to New Zealand at my age would be really greatful and helpful :) Regarding, living costs and everything else really! And also I only have a part-time job over here, so when I do decide to move I would only have enough money for a one-way flight and spending/living money for a period of time...Thank you :) :) :) x

Im not 100% sure the rules haven't been changed which means you need to have been resident in the country for a certain amount of time before you can get a student loan.
I think you should look at going back there for a long holiday and see what you can find work/course wise. When you left you were 15 and totally dependant on your parents. Living by yourself in any country is very costly, it certainly wont be as much fun as you may be imagining.
Good luck