Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Adult apprenticeships?

Adult apprenticeships?

Old Dec 18th 2007, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Shiny Alex is on a distinguished road
Default Adult apprenticeships?

I've spent the last couple of days searching but not had much luck.

When we get to NZ I'm hoping to start an adult apprenticeship as an electrician, which catagory will that come under on my Residence application?

Residence from work or as I'm coming over with my partner whose a Kiwi will it be family?

Also, has anybody gone over with the plan of doing an apprenticeship? is it an easy process?

Just need to find my way through the 24 pages of the application for now and book up my medical (as soon as the x-ray place stop putting the phone down on me).

Thanks in advance

Alex
Old Dec 18th 2007, 11:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Adult apprenticeships?

I brought my UK husband in on the family category (as I already had NZ citizenship) and that was pretty straight forward. Whilst waiting for that paperwork to come through, he applied for a work permit to allow him to both work and stay longer than the 6 month tourist visa.

He's just completed a 3 year plumbing apprenticeship at the grand old age of 45. He was placed with host employers and then went to college for two weeks once every quarter. Fingers crossed that he's passed his exam!
Old Dec 19th 2007, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

Shiny Alex is on a distinguished road

Thanks

Will I still need to apply for a work permit ontop of applying for the Residency?
Old Dec 20th 2007, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Shiny Alex View Post
Thanks

Will I still need to apply for a work permit ontop of applying for the Residency?
No problems!

We only applied for the work permit because we were still waiting for police checks to arrive and we were already in NZ. If you've got residency, you can work.
Old Dec 21st 2007, 11:48 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay View Post
I brought my UK husband in on the family category (as I already had NZ citizenship) and that was pretty straight forward. Whilst waiting for that paperwork to come through, he applied for a work permit to allow him to both work and stay longer than the 6 month tourist visa.

He's just completed a 3 year plumbing apprenticeship at the grand old age of 45. He was placed with host employers and then went to college for two weeks once every quarter. Fingers crossed that he's passed his exam!
not wishing to pry too much but what hourly rate did the employer offer? Also, are there schemes to get trades people through training with a different means of support - as you mention "host employer" rather than "employer"......