Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Administration/teaching jobs

Administration/teaching jobs

Old Oct 12th 2009, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

donnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura about
Default Administration/teaching jobs

Hi

Can anyone give me some advice about this.

If we ever get there I was hoping to get a part-time administration/accounting job in a school/college, term time only. Do these roles exist in NZ or am I living in a fantasy land?

Also husband hopes to teach in either secondary school or college (Physics is his subject area). He has registered with NZ teaching Council and has a category of registration as "subject to confirmation". Are there jobs out there and if so what kind of pay could he expect?

I have been reading the post about people struggling financially and as you can tell I have gone into panic mode.

Many thanks
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

mudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud ofmudblood21 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Administration/teaching jobs

As I am still in England, applying for work I am not a lot of help! -

You have probably used the NZ education gazette website, but just in case you haven't------ I have found it really useful, not only for jobs, but for links to all the relevant websites. I found a pay scales site on there once, but of course, can't find it again now. I also found a link that led to the teaching content for each subject, and there are lots of agencies that could get temp or permanent work for you both.

hope this is of some help
x
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:33 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Originally Posted by donnisons
Hi

Can anyone give me some advice about this.

If we ever get there I was hoping to get a part-time administration/accounting job in a school/college, term time only. Do these roles exist in NZ or am I living in a fantasy land?

Also husband hopes to teach in either secondary school or college (Physics is his subject area). He has registered with NZ teaching Council and has a category of registration as "subject to confirmation". Are there jobs out there and if so what kind of pay could he expect?

I have been reading the post about people struggling financially and as you can tell I have gone into panic mode.

Many thanks
Hi, not sure about part time admin/accounts jobs in schools but I know that no school can survive without it's admin staff so I'm sure there'll be something out there. I'm a secondary teacher (PE) and I'm applying for jobs now. We fly out to NZ on 27th Dec with PR visas. I'm registered STC with the teachers council too and have 7 years teaching experience. I emailed the Ministry of Education (MOE) re: salary and they said I can expect a salary of approx. $65,000 in a regular teaching post with no responsibility points. You can see the salary scale here http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducatio...uneration.aspx
(hope this link works otherwise go to MOE website and search 'secondary teachers collective agreements'). Good luck with it all. How far down the PR application line are you?
Dx
Old Oct 12th 2009, 9:36 pm
DGH
Danni

DGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really niceDGH is just really nice

Originally Posted by DGH
Hi, not sure about part time admin/accounts jobs in schools but I know that no school can survive without it's admin staff so I'm sure there'll be something out there. I'm a secondary teacher (PE) and I'm applying for jobs now. We fly out to NZ on 27th Dec with PR visas. I'm registered STC with the teachers council too and have 7 years teaching experience. I emailed the Ministry of Education (MOE) re: salary and they said I can expect a salary of approx. $65,000 in a regular teaching post with no responsibility points. You can see the salary scale here http://www.minedu.govt.nz/NZEducatio...uneration.aspx
(hope this link works otherwise go to MOE website and search 'secondary teachers collective agreements'). Good luck with it all. How far down the PR application line are you?
Dx
One more thing, I have a friend who is teaching in NZ at the moment and he's doing fine for money. Teaching salary is considered a reasonable wage in NZ. He affords a 3 bed house in Welly and has a bit of spending money at the end of each month. I guess it depends on the type of lifestyle you want to lead. As Mudblood21 mentioned, the Edgazette is the place to look for teaching jobs. It's the equivalent of our TES.
Old Oct 13th 2009, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

donnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura aboutdonnisons has a spectacular aura about

Thank you very much for your replies - extremely useful. We had already looked at the teacher pay scales, but found it impossible to gauge where husband would be placed. He got his BEd in 1989, worked in a college for 10 years in the latter stages as HOD, then set up his own training company. He has also worked in secondary schools more recently for two years on a part time basis and worked with government body to help develop the Diploma that is now offered in schools. I guess it depends on experience.

D in response to your question re where we are in the process - I guess we are pretty much at the start. EOI was selected on 7th October (135 points), although we have both had our qualifications assessed by NZQA and hubby has registered with Teaching Council.

Your progress seem to have been quite speedy in relation to others I have seen on here, hope it is a fast for us. Good luck with your job hunting in December Have you got any interviews lined up?
Old Oct 13th 2009, 10:08 pm
Forum Regular

PatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the roughPatLiz is a jewel in the rough

Another website I've found good for teaching jobs is the independent school's one. http://www.isnz.org.nz/main.cfm?id=2789

Just had a quick look and there's at least two physics teaching posts, one in christ church and one in Wanganui.

Hope you both find jobs xx