Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Additional Luggage Allowance for Emigrating?

Additional Luggage Allowance for Emigrating?

Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:49 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Additional Luggage Allowance for Emigrating?

Hubby has posed quite an interesting query and as he can't be arsed to move from the playstation ... it's me again!!!

Our 4 kids have dual citizenship and passports (UK & NZ), hubby has NZ passport and I have my fabulous BLUE STICKER!!!!

Does this mean that as far as the airline are concerned, only I am eligeable (sp?!) for an extended allowance on baggage? In effect they are returning "home?" Anyone know?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Additional Luggage Allowance for Emigrating?

Originally Posted by Am Loolah View Post
Hubby has posed quite an interesting query and as he can't be arsed to move from the playstation ... it's me again!!!

Our 4 kids have dual citizenship and passports (UK & NZ), hubby has NZ passport and I have my fabulous BLUE STICKER!!!!

Does this mean that as far as the airline are concerned, only I am eligeable (sp?!) for an extended allowance on baggage? In effect they are returning "home?" Anyone know?
It does indeed mean that you are the only one eligible for the extra baggage allowance

do you know who you are flyin with yet?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by kwprwn View Post
It does indeed mean that you are the only one eligible for the extra baggage allowance

do you know who you are flyin with yet?
Was it the same for you with you hubby?

We plan to come with Singapore Airlines again, but this time we'll stay 2 nites in Singapore to ease the jetlag and so I can swan off to Raffles for a Singapore Sling. It would be rude not to after all!!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

We plan to come with Singapore Airlines again, but this time we'll stay 2 nites in Singapore to ease the jetlag and so I can swan off to Raffles for a Singapore Sling. It would be rude not to after all!!
It was indeed they advise you can have an extra 10 kilos for the migrant visa, so that gave us about 50 kilos we could have between us, but we had 62 kilos in the end and they let it through...phew, we just made sure no bag weighed more than 32 kilos (health and safety baggage workers wont lift any more)

We stopped at singapore and it made all the difference for owen, I had major issues sleeping, was tired all day and then couldnt sleep at all until about 6am in the morning but I think I had just done so much in the few days up till when we left that my body clock was screwed up and rather stressed which wouldnt be a surprise really
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:21 pm

It was indeed they advise you can have an extra 10 kilos for the migrant visa, so that gave us about 50 kilos we could have between us, but we had 62 kilos in the end and they let it through...phew, we just made sure no bag weighed more than 32 kilos (health and safety baggage workers wont lift any more)

We stopped at singapore and it made all the difference for owen, I had major issues sleeping, was tired all day and then couldnt sleep at all until about 6am in the morning but I think I had just done so much in the few days up till when we left that my body clock was screwed up and rather stressed which wouldnt be a surprise really
Thought this would be the case, thanks for that Dawn.

Hmmmm, anyone know what charges there are for excess baggage? Maybe will have to go down that route for 14 year old daughter's shoe collection?!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmmm, anyone know what charges there are for excess baggage? Maybe will have to go down that route for 14 year old daughter's shoe collection?!
no idea for charges

Tip for shoe collection: SHIP IT but tell her you are taking it in baggage but dont, she can yell all she likes when she gets to NZ but it wont get it their any quicker but she will get it eventually, she just might be a stroppy teenager for a period of time question is can you live with that?
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

i don't mean to bring a downer, but i'm sure i've read (i think its Buzzy Bee) that you can only do the migrant allowance if you stopover for one night , anymore & they won't allow th extra luggage. you may want to check though

tip
pack clothes for singapore in hand luggage if poss, then have rest of luggage checked right through to final destination, save a whole lot of hassle (agin i think it only works with a 1 night stopover) xx

Last edited by poppets; Jan 15th 2007 at 10:39 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2007, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

poppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond reputepoppets has a reputation beyond repute

no idea for charges

Tip for shoe collection: SHIP IT but tell her you are taking it in baggage but dont, she can yell all she likes when she gets to NZ but it wont get it their any quicker but she will get it eventually, she just might be a stroppy teenager for a period of time question is can you live with that?
hardly any kids wear shoes, by the time they turn up she won't want them
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by poppets View Post
i don't mean to bring a downer, but i'm sure i've read (i think its Buzzy Bee) that you can only do the migrant allowance if you stopover for one night , anymore & they won't allow th extra luggage. you may want to check though

tip
pack clothes for singapore in hand luggage if poss, then have rest of luggage checked right through to final destination, save a whole lot of hassle (agin i think it only works with a 1 night stopover) xx
we stopped for 2 nights and they were fine then, but things do change, so best clarifying with singapore airlines

but heed poppets tip about kids not wearing shoes, she is perfectly correct and that goes for adults (well some anyway)
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:21 pm

we stopped for 2 nights and they were fine then, but things do change, so best clarifying with singapore airlines

but heed poppets tip about kids not wearing shoes, she is perfectly correct and that goes for adults (well some anyway)
This is a girl who screams "Don't touch my shoes ... they've never been worn!!" Imelda Marcos methinks?!

Will check with airline direct as you two are useless!
Old Jan 15th 2007, 11:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

This is a girl who screams "Don't touch my shoes ... they've never been worn!!" Imelda Marcos methinks?!

thanks
Attached Thumbnails Additional Luggage Allowance for Emigrating?-smiley2.bmp  
Old Jan 16th 2007, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Old Jan 16th 2007, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Hi, we moved over here in October, flew Singapore Airlines with 2 night stopover. 2 adults and 2 children we had total luggage of 120 kilos. originally told only 30kilos each cos don't get increased allowance if emigrating to NZ (would if emigrating to oz!!). After reading posts here i emailrd them and they agreed the increase.
Hope it helps.
Old Jan 16th 2007, 6:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by beaudixon View Post
Hi, we moved over here in October, flew Singapore Airlines with 2 night stopover. 2 adults and 2 children we had total luggage of 120 kilos. originally told only 30kilos each cos don't get increased allowance if emigrating to NZ (would if emigrating to oz!!). After reading posts here i emailrd them and they agreed the increase.
Hope it helps.
we came over in april & were told a similar thing, after several calls & emails singapore airlines eventually gave us the extra allowance, i think it depends on who you are luck enough to speak to. (make sure you get written confirmation of extra allowance to incase of any arguments at check in)
Old Jan 16th 2007, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice

I emailed Cust Serv at Singapore who said no extra allowance and £30 a kilo excess, but when i rung i was told 40 kilo allowance, i didn;t ask about excess. Seems it depends who you speak to - i guess the best thing is to get it writing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.