Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Adding extra power points (New Build)

Adding extra power points (New Build)

Old Jan 22nd 2017, 5:58 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of
Default Adding extra power points (New Build)

Me and my partner are building in Rolleston and we seen that the number of PowerPoint's included in the contracted is pitiful. We only have 16 double PowerPoint's allocated for our home though this doesn't include the kitchen and laundry which are already included. I was wondering how much it would cost to add PowerPoint's as we are looking to extend the number to 30. I could just wait till the electrical walkthrough but I wouldn't mind a rough figure so I know where we need to get to in our savings and see if it's possible
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 2:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Adding extra power points (New Build)

I can help you with that as we are building and should be in next weekend.
According to our electrical spreadsheet an extra double socket is $82.80 inc GST and don't forget this charge is for the actual device, the install and the wiring to it so don't be alarmed when you see them in the DIY place for like $50 each.
We've also added a couple of exterior waterproof single power points at $156.40 inc GST each.
On top of that we've also added 6 double sockets with built in USB sockets so we can plug phone chargers etc in without having to use the AC socket which are $132.25 each inc GST.
$201.25 inc GST for a 20kA surge arrestor in the switchboard - just in case you need more than one phase.
An extra switch mechanism for a light is $15 inc GST.
Extra $86.50 inc GST for a 2 way lighting circuit instead of a single.
An extra PC/Data socket using CAT6 fibre $71 in GST each.
We've added quite a few things, changed a lot of the standard design and moved things around plus taken some things out like single sockets as we don't see the point of those unless for a fixed electrical appliance that is built in. All up we're spending an extra $2995.86 inc GST but that does include 50M of power cable and CAT5 to the gate for future electric gate & intercom thingy.
We've also changed some of the lighting which comes to an extra $654.50 in GST so all up in total $3650.36 for a 4 bed 260 SQM house.
Luckily we added $2875 in to the contract for power so this will be offset against that.
Anything you wanna know about building just ask as we've experienced all the crap that can be thrown at ya!
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 4:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Oh really, wow i was hoping more like $50-60 to install a double socket as In an existing home it costs around $150. I've also seen double sockets in bunnings for $10 each. My budget for the extra electrical I think will be $1000 so I'll just have to get as many as I can for that price lol. Thank you
Old Jan 22nd 2017, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah there are a lot cheaper items to be found bit in all fairness it'll be Chinese crap no doubt. The electrical contractor will only use quality products as it has to last at least the guarantee period. One thing you'll find is work on the house is no cheaper when it's being built
Old Jan 23rd 2017, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

From my experience, don't get the cheapo $10 sockets. I had my mancave rewired and used these, only to have to replace them a year later.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddy234
Oh really, wow i was hoping more like $50-60 to install a double socket as In an existing home it costs around $150. I've also seen double sockets in bunnings for $10 each. My budget for the extra electrical I think will be $1000 so I'll just have to get as many as I can for that price lol. Thank you
You'll also find that under the electrical contractors terms and conditions, electrical items like sockets/switches/wiring etc cannot be what is deemed "Owners Care" - i.e. you cannot provide those materials yourself for the electrician to fit. Those types of items must be sourced by him or the building company using their supplier to ensure it all meets the standard and electrical regs etc.
Our electrical spreadsheet contains a statement to that effect.
Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks very much for the reply guys, i got a price back and each double PowerPoint will cost $65 so going to increase the number to 30. I hate how building companies really just meet the minimum requirements with some things especially with something as important as this, how on earth would anyone think that 16 double powerpoints for an entire house would be enough
Old Jan 25th 2017, 6:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by paddy234
Thanks very much for the reply guys, i got a price back and each double PowerPoint will cost $65 so going to increase the number to 30. I hate how building companies really just meet the minimum requirements with some things especially with something as important as this, how on earth would anyone think that 16 double powerpoints for an entire house would be enough
They're all much the same. Quantity goes off the size and standard of house you are building and of course the design if it's a standard plan you are building from. We had 30 doubles as standard and think we've added around 10 (6 with USB charger ports and 4 standard doubles) plus lots of other bits.
Should be taking ownership Friday and moving in at the weekend