Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Actually New Zealand is a bit crap, don't move here. Look for somewhere else in the

"Actually New Zealand is a bit crap, don't move here. Look for somewhere else in the

Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:23 am
Banned

Finkel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Actually New Zealand is a bit crap, don't move here. Look for somewhere else in the

I have been assured that it's ok to post this and I won't get banned for saying it.

Actually New Zealand is a bit crap, don't move here. Look for somewhere else in the UK if you're fed up. Failing that, give Europe a try.

If someone had been that open and honest with me I would not have made the most costly and life changing decision of my life, and put my family through 3 years of misery.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:36 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Actually New Zealand is a bit crap, don't move here. Look for somewhere else in

Originally Posted by Finkel
I have been assured that it's ok to post this and I won't get banned for saying it.

Actually New Zealand is a bit crap, don't move here. Look for somewhere else in the UK if you're fed up. Failing that, give Europe a try.

If someone had been that open and honest with me I would not have made the most costly and life changing decision of my life, and put my family through 3 years of misery.
Yes you would. You'd have assumed that they were just miserable and 'that wouldn't happen to you'.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:48 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Actually New Zealand is a bit crap, don't move here. Look for somewhere else in

not really the introduction post that I was hoping for but...

anyway please give details as a statement like that is bound to open this post up to some honest opinions of those that like it here, so don't be surprised if others do not have you opinion and let you know that. A bit of back history may provide some substance to the statement.

Also what are the differences you have found in Australia that makes it work for you, as people do seem to pack both countries together thinking they are the same

Last edited by MrsFychan; Apr 26th 2016 at 2:04 am. Reason: spelling
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:49 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

You'd really have changed your life's plans based on what a random on the Interweb said? Wow.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 1:55 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Finkel when people read posts on this forum they are not idiots and will look to see the posters historical posts to establish whether they are dealing with a "happy" or "hate" NZ type. You have already made your intentions clear to future readers.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:43 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Problem with the world (or more specifically the people in the world) is that no one accepts responsibility and everyone is out to blame someone else. It can't possibly be MY fault. No one one forces a person to move abroad. It is up to a person to come to a decision based on their research, not for "someone" to tell them.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 4:54 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

'Look for somewhere else in the UK if you're fed up'

Having seen quite a few Brits not last very long here I do think this advice could do some good to a lot of potential migrants. Looking back I sometimes think we should have taken this advice too, but it's easy to get caught up in the idea of moving to a new country and how everything is going to be magical and care free. Looking back now I think we were mad not to at least try the other end of the country before risking everything on the other side of the world.

I'm not sure what these posts are all about but that one bit of advice could save many people a lot of money and heartbreak.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 5:10 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

well seeing as OP did not return the UK I'm still waiting to find out what Oz has for them
Old Apr 26th 2016, 6:26 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Of course it's ok to post - people say that ALL the time! I don't post much in the NZ forums, but I do read and see plenty of people giving people reality checks about life there, and certainly in the US and Canada forums where I mainly hang out, it's a common refrain. Suggesting people try elsewhere in the UK is one of my 'go to' lines.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:35 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

OP sent me a delightful PM to advise me against moving too and warning me about trying to be flippant and funny about it. That's not the first one either.

I must say its very helpful to have such proactive people here making sure we don't emigrate. I can only assume I wasn't the only recipient of a helpful 'don't do it message'.

Think I'm done with this forum. Thanks for all the helpful replies though, shame about the rest.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Munchkjn
OP sent me a delightful PM to advise me against moving too and warning me about trying to be flippant and funny about it. That's not the first one either.

I must say its very helpful to have such proactive people here making sure we don't emigrate. I can only assume I wasn't the only recipient of a helpful 'don't do it message'.

Think I'm done with this forum. Thanks for all the helpful replies though, shame about the rest.
Just complain to the mod and he will be banned - simples.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Look, that's the exciting thing about this forum and I wouldn't get disheartened. It rarely happens that everyone agrees and it would be boring if that was the case. Every location will work out different for another person and the main question should always be, why do I want to move?

You often get people in the Spain forum who don't speak a word of Spanish, have no savings, no job prospects and get angry when people say it's a bad idea to move. If I had listened to the 2 or 3 people in the Ireland forum, I wouldn't be here today and that would be a shame. Some information is valuable and some information isn't, but you get a feeling for it
Old Apr 26th 2016, 7:51 am

You certainly have pulled out the trolls since you started posting.

You will get people on forums that are there just to do that sort of thing, you can only bypass/take their comments with a pinch of salt.

I'm sure the people that have offered advice and their own experiences will feel upset that trolls manage to put people, like yourself, off into entering into talk about subjects that the have experience of and freely give their time to help. advise and have a laugh with those wanting to enjoy the site for what its there for.
Old Apr 26th 2016, 10:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kotare
Just complain to the mod and he will be banned - simples.
Anyone getting rude, abusive or unwanted pms should forward them to a Mod, Supermod or Admin. That way the originator can be dealt with.