Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Actually getting there

Actually getting there

Old Apr 18th 2006, 12:35 pm
Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future
Default Actually getting there

Large thought dump today -

OK so now we have visas and a start date - what is the best value way to get to NZ?

I will have to travel alone, (as will the better half when she joins me), and all I have seen so far, (no real research), is the Air NZ mails ads coming through.

Any recommendations on airlines? Routes? Stopovers?

So much to ask and so many out there who will have done it before.

Hope you can help.

CC
Old Apr 18th 2006, 2:24 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Actually getting there

Originally Posted by Bodgit

OK so now we have visas and a start date - what is the best value way to get to NZ?

I will have to travel alone, (as will the better half when she joins me), and all I have seen so far, (no real research), is the Air NZ mails ads coming through.

Hope you can help.

CC
I say go via LA with Air NZ - you get 46kg luggage allowance each instead of 20kg with other airlines.

Travelmood (www.travelmood.co.uk) are an Air NZ wholesaler and normally have great bargains.

Cheers

Buzzy
Old Apr 18th 2006, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Actually getting there

Hope you can help.

CC
Hi,

LA is ok but if you want to fly to Christchurch you have to go via Auckland and then internal flight - until 1st November when you can get direct LA-CHC.

Also, if you have a work visa you can fly on a one way ticket and then flying via Singapore you get additional luggage allowance.

Personally we prefer Singapore and are planning this route when we fly out in October. Much nicer stopover as you can walk/bus/underground easily. In LA you HAVE to have a car!!!!

Neil
Old Apr 19th 2006, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you can help.

CC
we did the LA route as a return journey (Air NZ) then did the one way trip with Malaysian via Kuala Lampur - found the KL route much better - following the time difference rather than going against it seemed to help with the jetlag plus KL much nicer airport when you've only got short stops as we had. Mal air very good value - 2 ads 2 ch one way £1300 Oct 05
Old Apr 19th 2006, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

brackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud ofbrackley has much to be proud of

we've been over to nz 2ce and used a guy from the flightcentre, andy frostic 02088768400, he has also arranged trips for numerous friends to oz and nz all have been very pleased. recommed far east route, dreadful getting through la airport according to many people. we flew malaysian and stayed in lankawi for a few nights, beautiful island and cheap, hot deserted beaches. the flight from london goes directly there on a sun and mon then on to kl.
good luck and have a good flight.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 12:48 pm
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

Stevemw is an unknown quantity at this point

.... dreadful getting through la airport according to many people....

You're not kidding. The US authorities seem to manage the LA stopover using techniques perfected in Guantanamo bay ! If you want to be treated like a human being, go by a different route.
We're going over in May with Singapore Airlines - pricing was identical to Air NZ. Luggage allowance is less but a) we avoid LA and b) it's direct to Christchurch.
Cheers,
Steve
Old Apr 20th 2006, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stevemw

You're not kidding. The US authorities seem to manage the LA stopover using techniques perfected in Guantanamo bay ! If you want to be treated like a human being, go by a different route.
We came here via LA.... absolutely no problems at all. My parents came out here a few weeks ago and never had any problems at LAX either.
Old Apr 20th 2006, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

MattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really niceMattH is just really nice

Air NZ/LAX has been fine for us both times we've flown to NZ - think it's a bit of a myth tbh. Air NZ also fly direct to Christchurch from November I think?

Matt
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

KiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to allKiwiDollie is a name known to all

The first time we came to NZ we flew Air NZ via LAX... never again! Hated it.

This time we flew via Singapore with Singapore Airlines..... heaven - know which one I'd recommend....
Old Apr 20th 2006, 10:41 pm
Arrived CHC 23 May 2006

Stevemw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MattH
Air NZ/LAX has been fine for us both times we've flown to NZ - think it's a bit of a myth tbh. Air NZ also fly direct to Christchurch from November I think?

Matt
Maybe things have changed since, but in February '05 it certainly wasn't a myth. You get off the plane and are herded about the airport and forced to queue (standing) for an hour or more, waiting to be fingerprinted and photographed. Once through the system (which is staffed by just two officers) you are confined to a cramped and seedy room with nothing but plastic-wrapped biscuits, machine coffee and a few apples to keep you going until eventually being allowed back onto your plane.
After some considerable time we were fastracked through the queue in the grounds of having a child (13 years old!) with us. Bizarrely they didn't seem to mind making my white haired 78 year old father-in-law stand for hours. LAX certainly won't be earning any more transit fees from my family.
Yes, I think you are right that Air NZ are planning to start direct flights to CHC.
Regards,
Steve