British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Accountant v Baker (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/accountant-v-baker-663287/)

ellenarosemary Apr 9th 2010 2:53 pm

Accountant v Baker

My husband, 3 x children (6, 4 & 2) are hoping to emigrate this year under the skilled migrant category. We have one or two problems to overcome first though.

I am currently taking my AAT (Accountancy exams) Level 3 diploma in June, which will qualify me to be a financial manager, assistant accountant or management accountant. I have years experience in this field already but have only just decided to do the exams.

My husband is currently a team leader for an aerospace company here in the uk, unfortunately team leader doesnt come on the skilled list. He was however a bakery foreman for over 15 years (albeit 10 years since he left the trade).

Our problem, we have 130 points once passed exams (without job offer), but no points for absolute skill shortage so would be at the bottom of the pile so to speak in the EOI. Has anyone had any experience of being selected this way?

Do we take our chances and see if we can get residency first and then a job (I notice most adverts say resident or visa applicants only anyway!), or do we try and get a job and then the visa (with job offer would have 190 as dont want to work in Auckland as have family in Upper Hutt). The chicken and the egg syndrome :eek:

Also does anyone have any ideas about whether my husband would be able to secure a job back in the bakery trade after being away for so long?

We have decided that whoever gets a job first (fingers crossed), is the main applicant if we cant get over without the job offer.

Finally if all fails, might be able to go on family visa (still need a job offer first though) but cant get a straight answer from anyone not even the emigration companies (and I've tried two), my family in new zealand are two half brothers and one half sister (all older), we had the same father who was also a NZ citizen who died 4 years ago.

I was adopted at birth (long story) and so they are my biological family not my adopted family, one brother is willing to sponsor us, I have no family left in the UK.

Cant get anyone to say a definite yes or no to this, only if they were adopted siblings this would be a yes, but because I wasnt brought up with them, no one is sure. So we could fill out all of the paperwork, get jobs etc and after two years (apparently thats how long it takes), we could be refused!!!

Thanks for any info or comments, all greatly received.:thumbsup:

JAJ Apr 10th 2010 3:45 am

Re: Accountant v Baker

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 8484379)
Finally if all fails, might be able to go on family visa (still need a job offer first though) but cant get a straight answer from anyone not even the emigration companies (and I've tried two), my family in new zealand are two half brothers and one half sister (all older), we had the same father who was also a NZ citizen who died 4 years ago.

I was adopted at birth (long story) and so they are my biological family not my adopted family, one brother is willing to sponsor us, I have no family left in the UK.

Are you saying your natural father was a New Zealand citizen and you were then adopted out to another family? If so, can you prove this?

ellenarosemary Apr 10th 2010 8:14 am

My natural father emigrated in 1974, i was born in 1966 and adopted shortly afterwards. My two brothers and two sisters (half) all emigrated between 1962 and 1974 and became NZ citizens, they are my only family left.

I can prove he was my father (not by birth certificate as that bits blank), but I have a certified copy from the adoption agency where he signed all the relevant paperwork to say he was my father.

I understand he had to go to the birth certificate registration at the same time as my birth mother but this was not possible, but he did go separately to the adoption agency and sign all the relevant forms etc. I was adopted before he went to NZ not after.

Hope this info helps, any further advice would be great. :thumbsup:

pricklykina Apr 10th 2010 8:45 am

Just ignore me...I wrote something that wasn't accurate...oops..I'm off now
Good Luck though :)

Chick-a-dee Apr 10th 2010 8:47 pm

Is it worth looking if you qualify for Oz? I seem to remember that if you got an Ozzie visa you could go and live permanently in NZ as soon as your visa had been stamped in Oz. If you qualify for Australia, that might be an easier route in to NZ if they still do that.