British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Accountancy qualifications (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/accountancy-qualifications-469269/)

clairegary Jul 26th 2007 9:11 pm

Accountancy qualifications

Hi All

I am seriously considering emigrating in about 3 years time and im thinking of Australia, New Zealand or Canada .

I dont have any family links so would be applying for a skilled visa.

I have the following qualifications:-

LLB(hons) law
AAT Technician level + member status
ACCA stages 1 and 2 (currently doing level 3)
I will also have an oxford brookes degree in applied accounting later this year.

I currently work as an accounts assistant for a small company which is my only accountancy experience so far.

Is the above enough to qualify for entry and if not what should I be doing to ensure my application is successful?

Thanks in advance

Claire

P2L Jul 27th 2007 1:10 am

Re: Accountancy qualifications

Hi

Have a look through the following to see if your quals are listed on here

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...andguides/lorq

littleal Jul 27th 2007 11:57 am

I'm CIMA qualified with 15 years experience and struggling to get a skilled migrant Visa. A degree or CIMA membership get you 50 points. I need a job offer to get enough points to be selected but employers are wary of giving you a job offer without a Visa. Catch 22 :curse: If I wanted to go to Auckland or Wellington, I might be alright, but our family want to go to Christchurch.

Are you under 30? Could you go on a working holiday visa and see how you get on?

Alison

clairegary Jul 27th 2007 2:49 pm

Hi everyone

Im not thinking of moving until my son finishes school in 3 years time. By then I will be ACCA qualified. My current job is an accounts assistant and mainly involves maintaining the ledgers, payroll and credit control as well as other bits. Is this role to basic and should I be looking for a new job in order to gain the necessary work experience and if so what duties do I need to be doing?

Im 32 Alison

Claire

littleal Jul 27th 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Claire

I think there are jobs at all levels so qualification or range of experience may not be the issue. Location is definitely an issue with Auckland being most in need of accounts people.

If you do have the chance to get more experience, I would suggest auditing (yawn, yawn) is highly demanded. Also management accounting or commercial accounting of any kind. What sort of organisation do you work for at the moment? That is a good indicator of who will employ you over there and where they might be. There are a lot more SME's in NZ.

Good luck
Alison

JAJ Jul 27th 2007 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by littleal (Post 5113941)
If you do have the chance to get more experience, I would suggest auditing (yawn, yawn) is highly demanded. Also management accounting or commercial accounting of any kind. What sort of organisation do you work for at the moment? That is a good indicator of who will employ you over there and where they might be. There are a lot more SME's in NZ.

The AAT qualification is recognised by the College of Accounting Technicians of the New Zealand Institute of Chartered Accountants (NZICA).

ACCA members used to be able to become New Zealand Chartered Accountants by direct entry, but this recognition was withdrawn by NZICA in 2002.

Eternalkiwi Jul 29th 2007 10:00 am

With a law degree and business qualifications I would recommend Government Departments. They have a wide range of roles and while they prefer experience working in large organisations people with the right skills will be considered.

NZ has a fairly big shortage for Accounting professionals, I know of organisations here in Wellington that have advertised accounting roles 3 times and not been able to find a suitable candidate. They found most people were either graduates or wanting Management level roles.

Shawn