British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   accommodation in nelson (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/accommodation-nelson-501883/)

juliejamesmcgrath Dec 27th 2007 12:32 pm

accommodation in nelson

Hi again

We are moving to Nelson in February from the UK, our emigration agency has set us up with accommodation for the first 5 days, don't really know what to do after this, as the hubby will be looking for work and we don't want to spend alot on motels etc until we can buy a house.

Anyone know anywhere cheap all the ones on the websites are coming up around $120 a day, and we don't know how long we will need to use them until we buy a house. Are there any cheap rental houses etc.

We have two young children so don't want to slum it, want to make it as easy as possible without using all our savings on renting. :confused:

Wilma & co Dec 27th 2007 6:45 pm

Re: accommodation in nelson

Just an idea, but you could look at www.holidayhouses.co.nz. There seem to be several places that have lower rates (including some weekly rates) and perhaps negotiable if you are trying to rent out of peak season. I've been using the site to get accom for our upcoming trip to the SI and there seems to be a wide range of properties and prices.
There will probably be other similar sites - perhaps holidayhomes.co.nz is out there too??! :confused: :o

Good luck with your hunt! :thumbsup:

Sandi Bloss Dec 27th 2007 7:13 pm

This is the most exensve time of year to look at motels - hopefully prices will drop by Feb. If you want to rent before buying then look in Saturday and Wednesday's Nelson Mail. Renting privately is pretty straight forward here, anything through the estate agents is more expensive. Also there is a website called homefindnelson that lists rentals from Nelson through to Richmond.

BEVS Dec 27th 2007 7:40 pm

Aye. February is still high holiday season here.
As Sandi suggests , you may well be able to pick something up from the Nelson Mail and from Home Find Nelson.

I assume you will be wanting a furnished rental until your container arrives.

We used Homefindnelson to find our rentals. You do have to pay a small up front fee for access to their complete rental lists. The fee is valid for 6 months. So if you aren't happy with the first rental , go back to home find and look again. You'll be dealing direct with the rental owners.

Please do make sure that you read any tenancy agreement thoroughly. So many folks get caught out . You should go for a periodic tenancy and not a fixed term. Also, make sure there is nothing written in which states you must find the next tenant. Go over it with a fine tooth comb. Go round the rental with the owner and make joint notes about anything and everything you see. Take photos ! Often there is a clause which states you will pay for the carpets to be cleaned when you leave. Expect to pay a bond up front . This will be paid direct to Tenancy Services.

It is best to physically see a rental for yourself before agreeing to anything. The standards can vary greatly as do the rents..

Don't forget to bargain.

Some rentals

If you want me to go check anything out for you, just give me a shout. I'll drag Sandi along with me. :D

nelsonpom Dec 29th 2007 5:49 am

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 5709813)
Aye. February is still high holiday season here.
As Sandi suggests , you may well be able to pick something up from the Nelson Mail and from Home Find Nelson.

I assume you will be wanting a furnished rental until your container arrives.

We used Homefindnelson to find our rentals. You do have to pay a small up front fee for access to their complete rental lists. The fee is valid for 6 months. So if you aren't happy with the first rental , go back to home find and look again. You'll be dealing direct with the rental owners.

Please do make sure that you read any tenancy agreement thoroughly. So many folks get caught out . You should go for a periodic tenancy and not a fixed term. Also, make sure there is nothing written in which states you must find the next tenant. Go over it with a fine tooth comb. Go round the rental with the owner and make joint notes about anything and everything you see. Take photos ! Often there is a clause which states you will pay for the carpets to be cleaned when you leave. Expect to pay a bond up front . This will be paid direct to Tenancy Services.

It is best to physically see a rental for yourself before agreeing to anything. The standards can vary greatly as do the rents..

Don't forget to bargain.

Some rentals

If you want me to go check anything out for you, just give me a shout. I'll drag Sandi along with me. :D

Agree with all of the above and make sure you take advantage of any help offered. I think Sandi lives in Stoke and Bevs is in Mapua we live in central Nelson and would be happy to help. You pretty much have the whole area covered so do use us all for advice etc ....

juliejamesmcgrath Dec 29th 2007 10:56 am

Thanks for all your replies, don't want to be a nuisance to anyone.

Is it better to rent rather than stay in a motel? Its really hard when you are over here as I assume it was for all of you when you first started out. :unsure:

Its just knowing where to look, I think as soon as we get there we will have to buy a car, then look for accommodation, at least we have 5 days to be going on with.

Again, many thanks :thumbsup:

BEVS Dec 30th 2007 1:05 am

It is better to look at rentals first before taking up a tenancy. So yes. If you cannot find a rental within 5 days , think to go into a motel or holiday park until you find a rental that will suit.

My husband came out before me. He stayed in a bunk house and then found a rental for me and the cats when we came out.

Richmond is central for all areas.

Sandi Bloss Dec 30th 2007 8:37 pm

We rented when we got here, rather than buying straight away, just to make sure we bought in the right area. To give you an idea we paid $300 a week for a 3 bed in Richmond. The owner paid rates and water and we paid for phone and electricity (both about $10 per month). It wasn't exactly salubrious but did just fine. If you need stuff before your container arrives I am sure we can dig out bits and pieces for you to borrow (we camp so have camping chairs, tables etc) and the recycling centres are pretty useful for picking up cheap furniture. You can hire white goods by the week. Amazing how little stuff you can get away with when you need to! Hope you are looking forward to it. It is a lovely area here.