Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Accommodation for my daughter in Auckland

Accommodation for my daughter in Auckland

Old May 1st 2018, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Accommodation for my daughter in Auckland

Hello all

this is my first post on the NZ forum.

We emigrated to Canada several years ago and now our daughter, who is in the third year of her undergraduate degree is going on a University Exchange/Study Abroad program to Auckland for one semester. She is looking for accommodation. She cannot use the University accommodation as her boyfriend is travelling with her and it is not permitted.

They are looking for something reasonably priced to rent from June 27 to the end of November. Boyfriend is approved for a working holiday but daughter can't work on her study permit. They are both saving madly.

I would be grateful for any suggestions. If anyone has anything specific in mind they could offer, please do PM me. Both are polite and hardworking. They like outdoor activities.

Thank you!
Old May 1st 2018, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation for my daughter in Auckland

I would suggest they just book something very short term and then sort something more permanent when they arrive. There are absolutely loads of small and teensy shoe box sized apartments in Auckland's city centre (CBD) that are primarily geared towards international students; as always for property in NZ I would advise that she takes a look at the property before committing to anything.

Most real estate agents do a brisk trade in rental property and you will find almost all local trade in terms of property, rental, flat shares, rooms and buying and selling almost everything else is done via Trademe in NZ.

Fellow student probably would be able to give them the inside intel and can put them right once they get here too.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/property
Old May 1st 2018, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much for the advice and the link. That's what we were looking for: some info to start things off.

👍☺️
Old May 4th 2018, 8:48 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Buy a van and live in it?
Old May 4th 2018, 10:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
Buy a van and live in it?
Really????? She'll freeze to death!
Bo-Jangles post is definitely the way to go. There are Backpackers and motels in Auckland she could stay in initially.
Old May 4th 2018, 10:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I would suggest they just book something very short term and then sort something more permanent when they arrive. There are absolutely loads of small and teensy shoe box sized apartments in Auckland's city centre (CBD) that are primarily geared towards international students; as always for property in NZ I would advise that she takes a look at the property before committing to anything.

Most real estate agents do a brisk trade in rental property and you will find almost all local trade in terms of property, rental, flat shares, rooms and buying and selling almost everything else is done via Trademe in NZ.

Fellow student probably would be able to give them the inside intel and can put them right once they get here too.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/property
Old May 4th 2018, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Whilst it might suit some JMH, I'm not sure Snowy56 had in mind that her daughter would live in a van in central Auckland along with all the other homeless and hobos.
Old May 5th 2018, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Thank you for your replies ... I think she'll do the short term option to start with and then find something longer term when she's there.

She's saving madly!