Reload this Page >

Accommodation and comedy

Accommodation and comedy

Old May 5th 2012, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

phi_g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Accommodation and comedy

Hello expats!

I'm moving to NZ in a few months. I don't know anyone in NZ or even close to the country so as soon as i touch down i will be all alone and incredibly jetlagged.

Anyone know any good affordable hotels and hostels in Auckland that i can rest my head for a few days?

Also what are good areas to live in permanently for a young single woman who likes comedy and music and good transport links? I'll probably not want to spend more than £400 on a room in a flat share.

Does NZ have a good stand up comedy scene? I'm not expecting it to be like London but i do like a good show.

Thanks in advance
Old May 5th 2012, 11:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation and comedy

The local comedy scene is a tad basic and not moved on much from knob gags and mocking gay people. Presently we have the international festival for a month, so there are some visiting acts in town (Janey Godley again).

Did you hear the one about the stand-up comedian who had no audience for his jokes? It's no laughing matter:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainm...ectid=10803641

Old May 6th 2012, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Accommodation and comedy

I disagree, the Comedy scene in Auckland is pretty good. My mate Reuben is a comedian so we've been to see him all over Auckland and it's quite a vibrant scene. The centre of it all is the Classic comedy club at the top end of Queen Street. They have late night gigs on the weekend which are pretty good as by the time it starts most of the audience have been drinking for a few hours and it gets pretty rowdy. A lot of famous comedians seem to come here and do gigs too.

The best music venue in Auckland is the Powerstation in Mt Eden, and there's some live music venues on K Rd too.

So if you want to be close to comedy and music I'd try a place close to town, maybe Mt Eden which is a nice area.