Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Accommodation around Auckland

Accommodation around Auckland

Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:57 pm
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold
Default Accommodation around Auckland

We are heading of to NZ shortly and will be looking for rented accommodation somewhere within driving distance of Auckland (up to 2 hours away). We would prefer to have a lease on a rolling basis - something that can be renewed on a month by month basis, or fortnight by fortnight, rather than being tied into a contract.

Does anyone have any ideas of anything like this? We are a couple with a young son (age 4).
Old Sep 6th 2007, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Accommodation around Auckland

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
We are heading of to NZ shortly and will be looking for rented accommodation somewhere within driving distance of Auckland (up to 2 hours away). We would prefer to have a lease on a rolling basis - something that can be renewed on a month by month basis, or fortnight by fortnight, rather than being tied into a contract.

Does anyone have any ideas of anything like this? We are a couple with a young son (age 4).
hi fellow scot here,first of all are you working in auckland,2hours is quite a drive every day if you are,
we live in cockle bay which is east auckland,takes oh 30-40 mins in morning to get into auckland city hospital,which is central.
don't know if many agents would give you month to month lease,you might be better looking at holiday let initially just till you get your bearings and decide if the area is for you.
i think another thing you might want to consider is schooling,as this dictates along with work where you live really.
school zoning is very strict here and you might want to look into that too.
gl with your choices
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold
Post Re: Accommodation around Auckland

Hi, Are you specifically looking outside Auckland? There are plenty of places to rent in Auckland at the moment. The North Shore is good for renting and you can easily get a contract with three weeks' notice, either side. This does not tie you down. It seems to be a renters' market at the moment as there are loads of places advertised for rent. The average price for a two-bedroomed unit is around $350 and a house around $400-500 a week.

The North Shore Times is a good place to start looking.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle

We are moving out of our rental soon and my business partner owns the house. Its in Gulf Harbour and is about an hour in the morning to commute by car/bus/ferry. He is very flexible and he allows pets. Its 5 bedrooms and near schools and $500 a week.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch...

Cheers

Dave
Old Sep 7th 2007, 8:09 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

I_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to beholdI_Will_Freckle is a splendid one to behold

Oh thanks for all the replies. We have holiday accommodation booked for the first 2 weeks after we arrive but after that nothing. We are not sure where we are going to settle yet, hence the requirement for a get-out clause. I thought somewhere near Auckland as that would give us a very wide area in which to search for jobs.

I'll run these suggestions past my hubby.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:35 am
Just Joined

henry59 will become famous soon enoughhenry59 will become famous soon enough

We are renting a nice 3 bedroomed house with good views for $500/week (only extra to pay is for phone) on Herald Island in West Auckland. We move out on October 5th and I think it is available for a couple of months after. It is 25-50 minutes into Auckland and 15-30 minutes into Albany. If you are interested I can ask how long it is free for and also e-mail you some photo's.

Neil
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:46 am
NO ADDED SUGAR

Originally Posted by henry59
We are renting a nice 3 bedroomed house with good views for $500/week (only extra to pay is for phone) on Herald Island in West Auckland. We move out on October 5th and I think it is available for a couple of months after. It is 25-50 minutes into Auckland and 15-30 minutes into Albany. If you are interested I can ask how long it is free for and also e-mail you some photo's.

Neil

I'd really appreciate that. I should say that it's furnished accommodation that we are after.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:05 am
Just Joined

It is furnished though I must warn you there is no tumble drier and the Bosch washing machine is a bit small and only 800rpm (we are 3 adults and cope OK) Also, if not used to a ceramic hob it does take a little bit of getting used too! Photo's are attached though the first 6 were taken a few months back when the weather was not so good and the last was taken last week.
Will speak to the owner over the w/e.
Attached Files
File Type: zip
fwdfwneilshousepics.zip (2.02 MB, 63 views)
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:59 am
Just Joined

It is furnished though I must warn you there is no tumble drier and the Bosch washing machine is a bit small and only 800rpm (we are 3 adults and cope OK) Also, if not used to a ceramic hob it does take a little bit of getting used too! Photo's are attached though the first 6 were taken a few months back when the weather was not so good and the last was taken last week.
Will speak to the owner over the w/e.
Spoke with landlord and the unfortunately the property is only available until sometime in November when her parents decide to return from Oz. She is interested in letting it when we move out so if you are interested let me know as and when, Regards,
Neil
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Spoke with landlord and the unfortunately the property is only available until sometime in November when her parents decide to return from Oz. She is interested in letting it when we move out so if you are interested let me know as and when, Regards,
Neil
For rentals try realestate.co.nz and trademe.co.nz. Always check them out before renting.