Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Accidental Emigration

Accidental Emigration

Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:11 pm
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice
Default Accidental Emigration

Hello Everyone.

We are a family of four (Mum, Dad and two boys aged 8 and 7) and went to an emigration roadshow out of curiosity on a wet Sunday in February 2007. The next talk was on New Zealand so we sat in and were intrigued.

Husband is in telecommunications, so I 'googled' it and contacted one of the companies to ask general question what was the job market like in NZ. Amazed to get a reply asking for hubby's CV. It was sent (with his permission) and an interview arranged. He got the job!

We contacted an emigration consultant, submitted EOI on Thursday evening, it was picked for ITA on Friday morning and we just had our medicals last week. They are all OK thankfully. We're waiting for our degree transcripts to arrive and then we'll post the magnum opus back & begin the wait for visas!

It seems almost too easy and too fast for me. House is on the market and one car already sold. Removal company giving quote 3rd July. We hope to arrive in Wellington in August and to live somewhere on the Kapiti Coast.

Then I'll start school searching. So that's us in a very large nutshell.
Scottish Family
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

JoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Accidental Emigration

Welcome to the board.

Wow that does sound fast. Congrats on the job offer

We are hoping to be out there in August too. OH has just taken our signed and completed ITA back to our agent in Chester today.

Good luck with the rest of the process and hope you get your house sold quickly.

Jo x
Old Jun 29th 2007, 2:36 pm
Dr. Watchers

Scottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really niceScottish Family is just really nice

Originally Posted by JoandDean
Welcome to the board.

Wow that does sound fast. Congrats on the job offer

We are hoping to be out there in August too. OH has just taken our signed and completed ITA back to our agent in Chester today.

Good luck with the rest of the process and hope you get your house sold quickly.

Jo x
Hi JoandDean
Thanks for the welcome!

Does anyone know of good schools in the Raumati or Paraparamaui or Waikene areas ???
Thanks
Shirley
Old Jun 29th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there & welcome,
Your feet just won't touch the ground now. We live 20 mins north of the city, a suburb within porirua city, gorgeous views, lovely people, excellent schools and even better community. We are 3 mins from train station with park & ride for the city - midway between city & Kapiti
Send PM to "Donna F" & "Wilma & Co", both have 3 kids each in a local school here - all kids love it.
Send PM to "Poppets", she lives at Waikanae has wee ones, her hbby commutes to the city, about 1 hour travel.
God luck.
Old Jun 29th 2007, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

paul walters will become famous soon enoughpaul walters will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Scottish Family

Hello Everyone.

We are a family of four (Mum, Dad and two boys aged 8 and 7) and went to an emigration roadshow out of curiosity on a wet Sunday in February 2007. The next talk was on New Zealand so we sat in and were intrigued.

Husband is in telecommunications, so I 'googled' it and contacted one of the companies to ask general question what was the job market like in NZ. Amazed to get a reply asking for hubby's CV. It was sent (with his permission) and an interview arranged. He got the job!

We contacted an emigration consultant, submitted EOI on Thursday evening, it was picked for ITA on Friday morning and we just had our medicals last week. They are all OK thankfully. We're waiting for our degree transcripts to arrive and then we'll post the magnum opus back & begin the wait for visas!

It seems almost too easy and too fast for me. House is on the market and one car already sold. Removal company giving quote 3rd July. We hope to arrive in Wellington in August and to live somewhere on the Kapiti Coast.

Then I'll start school searching. So that's us in a very large nutshell.
Scottish Family
Hi, well done.
we have our house up for sale and are hoping to gain entry by getting work while were over there. What type of work does your husband do? I work for Bt in wideband planning and am seeking employment.

Regards Paul........
Old Jun 29th 2007, 10:20 pm
Dr. Watchers

Smile Re: Accidental Emigration

Originally Posted by paul walters
Hi, well done.
we have our house up for sale and are hoping to gain entry by getting work while were over there. What type of work does your husband do? I work for Bt in wideband planning and am seeking employment.

Regards Paul........
Hi Paul

My husband John is a Program / Project Manager, basically if you dont spend or justify your budget he takes it off you. He also used to be a designer. He started off as a technician apprentice in BT many many years ago and they sponsored him thru Uni at Aberdeen (very early 80's). He sometimes talks about LANS, WANS and MPLS .... I don't have a clue but maybe it means something to you. I'll say to him to read this page. He may be of some help once we eventually get there??

Shirley
Old Jun 30th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

paul walters will become famous soon enoughpaul walters will become famous soon enough

Hi Paul

My husband John is a Program / Project Manager, basically if you dont spend or justify your budget he takes it off you. He also used to be a designer. He started off as a technician apprentice in BT many many years ago and they sponsored him thru Uni at Aberdeen (very early 80's). He sometimes talks about LANS, WANS and MPLS .... I don't have a clue but maybe it means something to you. I'll say to him to read this page. He may be of some help once we eventually get there??

Shirley
Thanks for the reply Shirley,
just a bit more info for John. I have 18 years experience with Bt, 12 as a customer service engineer, 6 as a fibre planner. When I joined Bt they had ceased day release to college etc and I have done all my training at the Bt training centres. As I don't have a recognised qualification I've been told by friends already over there to sell up and find employment when I arrive. Obviously I'm on the look out for any potential employers and any info you can give while here or when you arrive will be very useful.

Thanks Paul and family.
Old Jul 2nd 2007, 2:41 pm
Dr. Watchers

Originally Posted by paul walters
Thanks for the reply Shirley,
just a bit more info for John. I have 18 years experience with Bt, 12 as a customer service engineer, 6 as a fibre planner. When I joined Bt they had ceased day release to college etc and I have done all my training at the Bt training centres. As I don't have a recognised qualification I've been told by friends already over there to sell up and find employment when I arrive. Obviously I'm on the look out for any potential employers and any info you can give while here or when you arrive will be very useful.

Thanks Paul and family.

Hi Paul & Family

John says he will keep his ear to the ground when we get to NZ and will post you a PM if anything suitable turns up.

Cheers & Good Luck
Shirley
Old Jul 5th 2007, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Hi Paul & Family

John says he will keep his ear to the ground when we get to NZ and will post you a PM if anything suitable turns up.

Cheers & Good Luck
Shirley
Thanks Shirley & John,
We've got somebody coming round for a second viewing of our house, so we could be over fairly soon (fingers crossed). Any leads you can muster will be very helpful.

Regards Paul and family.
Old Jul 5th 2007, 9:26 am
Just Joined

david & kerry is on a distinguished road
Post Re: Accidental Emigration

Originally Posted by Boopy
Hi there & welcome,
Your feet just won't touch the ground now. We live 20 mins north of the city, a suburb within porirua city, gorgeous views, lovely people, excellent schools and even better community. We are 3 mins from train station with park & ride for the city - midway between city & Kapiti
Send PM to "Donna F" & "Wilma & Co", both have 3 kids each in a local school here - all kids love it.
Send PM to "Poppets", she lives at Waikanae has wee ones, her hbby commutes to the city, about 1 hour travel.
God luck.
sounds like you realllylove it over there. we are in the early stages of immigrating and have 5 kids 4 from my 1st and 1 has decided to stay and come out 2 years but my 15 year old has just decided he cannot make the move and lives with us. He is scared of change and has all his friends and loves rock music. He cannot see any further than this . any advice as we do not want to give up on an opportunity like this one.

Thanks
Old Jul 5th 2007, 10:33 am
Dr. Watchers

Originally Posted by davidkitch
sounds like you realllylove it over there. we are in the early stages of immigrating and have 5 kids 4 from my 1st and 1 has decided to stay and come out 2 years but my 15 year old has just decided he cannot make the move and lives with us. He is scared of change and has all his friends and loves rock music. He cannot see any further than this . any advice as we do not want to give up on an opportunity like this one.

Thanks
Hi
You might want to talk to Mike Cole of BritsNZ, he is in New Plymouth and said he had a terrible time with his teenage boy who I think was just 13 when they moved. His boy is now driving at 15 and loves going to the beach with his NZ mates. Mike can probably tell you what to expect. He has a web site and his email is [email protected] hope they can give you some advice or at least tell you how they approached it.
Shirley
Old Jul 5th 2007, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

hi shirley

thanks for that will contact him.

david
Old Jul 6th 2007, 7:31 pm
Forum Regular

Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by david & kerry
hi shirley

thanks for that will contact him.

david
Hi David and Kerry - this is a dreadful position to find yourselves in. We are lucky as our children at still too young to drop this bomb shell on us. As well as Shirley's sound advice (which I definitely agree with) is your son willing to go out on a recci with you? I just think if you could get him out there for a jolly at least he could see the reality of it rather than what he is worrying it may be for him.
Best of luck and hope it works out for you.
Karma for a complete family move.
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

hi Leighlou thanks for your note have kindly had an email fome one of the users who is going to call me and have a chat. Decision is do we leave him and see if he after a year or so if we get accepted comes out. At least it will give him an opportunity if he decides to stay at a later date.

Thanks again david& Kerry
Old Jul 6th 2007, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi Shirley Had a rply form mike over in uk and going to call me so thanks again and will let you know

David

Hi
You might want to talk to Mike Cole of BritsNZ, he is in New Plymouth and said he had a terrible time with his teenage boy who I think was just 13 when they moved. His boy is now driving at 15 and loves going to the beach with his NZ mates. Mike can probably tell you what to expect. He has a web site and his email is [email protected] hope they can give you some advice or at least tell you how they approached it.
Shirley

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.