Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Accepted a job in Onehunga Auckland?

Accepted a job in Onehunga Auckland?

Old Oct 16th 2008, 6:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of lightKags1694 is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Accepted a job in Onehunga Auckland?

Hubby has accepted a job in Onehunga Auckland, when we where over in March we liked the look of Browns Bay, could anybody suggest any other towns we could look at, within 30 minutes commute .

We are looking at renting first.

My OH wants to end up living in Napier, I am unsure, he was really impressed with it when we where over.

Karen
Old Oct 17th 2008, 3:25 am
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice
Default Re: Accepted a job in Onehunga Auckland?

Browns Bay is over on the North Shore so be tough to do it in 30mins with the bridge.
Try looking east Botany Downs Bucklands Beach Cockle Bay Howick

Central Epsom mt Eden
Old Oct 17th 2008, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kags1694
Hubby has accepted a job in Onehunga Auckland, when we where over in March we liked the look of Browns Bay, could anybody suggest any other towns we could look at, within 30 minutes commute .

My OH wants to end up living in Napier, I am unsure, he was really impressed with it when we where over.

Karen
Browns Bay to Onehunga would have to be about the farthest you can travel whilst remaining in the Auckland region. Onehunga is as far South as Browns Bay is North. You could possibly only make that journey in 30 mins late at night or early Saturday morning.

You need to look at areas on the Southern side of the bridge. Onehunga itself is quite nice in parts with some nice leafy Avenues with older style villas and some places with views over the Manukau harbour. Downside to that would be air traffic noise and all the negatives of having Mangere nearby.

Wattle Cove is a new residential development, which might be worth a look http://www.wattlecove.co.nz/ at least if you want bright, shiny and modern.

If you fancy being a bit rural, you would be as well to go out further south of Auckland into Pukekohe and Franklin District,

http://www.franklin.govt.nz/Franklin...0/Default.aspx
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kags1694

Karen
I would rule out anything on the north shore if your going to be working in onehunga.

look for properties in Manukau City as a start, or auckland but beware some of the suburds in south auckland are pretty bad so untill you know the area better stay clear.

howick and eareas around there seem popular
Old Oct 17th 2008, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

We have lived in Onehunga for 3 years now and love it!

Yes - there is a lot of it to the Penrose side that is rough as anything and I would not want to live on that side for anything. We live over looking the Manukau Harbour on the Royal Oak / Onehunga border. There are plenty of old villas if you like that or newer housing if that is your thing. Can't comment on schools as we don't have kids.

The planes are not a concern at all - you get the odd one going over, but not something we are aware of at all. Not sure about Mangere being an issue either. It is a joy picking visitors up from the airport and saying we'll be home in 10 mins

If you want an area people perceive as "better" then Epsom and Mount Eden are close by and a short drive.

Neil
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Onehunga itself is a quite a good location, especially many of the houses on the 'slopes' of One Tree Hill. very centrally located and I think having Cornwall Park close by is a huge asset.

Anything in between Campbell Road and Mt Smart Road is pretty much all good family home material, the odd pocket of state homes but nothing as rough as the UK.

Other areas to look at may be Mt Albert, Hillsborough, Three Kings, Mt Eden etc.

Aircraft noise is totally not an issue for that area - no area in Auckland really has that problem except maybe along the flight path in Wiri or Manukau.