British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Accepted! for Chch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/accepted-chch-754927/)

Brennans Apr 15th 2012 1:44 pm

Accepted! for Chch

Hi, :thumbsup: we have been accepted (approved in principle i think?) So excited and so much to sort out now. First thing to book flights, we are thinking of the end of June, and now a holiday home to sort out.......................................... Even though I feel excited it is still daunting. Can anyone give us some ideas on the suburbs over there in Christchurch please, I will be working at Hillmorton Hospital. Many thanks and i've loads more questions to fly your way! :eek:

crumpy10 Apr 15th 2012 7:19 pm

Re: Accepted! for Chch

oh well done!!!! many many congratulations!!!!

good luck :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anna:D

Snap Shot Apr 15th 2012 9:21 pm

Hello, here is some information that might help you. We lived in Riccarton then Linwood, Christchurch from March to June 2011. TradeMe is a good New Zealand website. It's a 'shop front' for all the estate agents' properties to rent or buy in Christchurch or whichever city in NZ you require. Christchurch eastern suburbs were trashed by the earthquake and are, among others: Bexley, New Brighton, Aranui, Avondale, Dallington, Linwood, Riccarton, Bromley.

(We used to go on the bus to a bar called Salt on the Pier at New Brighton for Happy Hour on a Friday to try and cheer ourselves up)

Western suburbs are, among others: Ilam, Avonhead, Fendalton, Bryndwyr, Cashmere. Don't know if rents are at a premium because they are not affected like the east of the city is.

Sockburn and Hornby are south west but more industrial than residential. A word to the wise, all NZ rents are quoted weekly. TradeMe also lists jobs vacancies, cars for sale etc.

Eastgate shopping mall is at Linwood. The Palms is another shopping mall in Papanui I think, if not someone correct me on the location please. Riccarton Mall is a good mall.

chippy64 Apr 15th 2012 9:41 pm

Hi and congratulations! You will find us ChCh peeps a friendly bunch :p.

Halswell is close to Hillmorton and is very popular at the moment, with lots of new housing being built as well as established housing. There is also a new development going up at Wigram.
You may prefer to move further out to Rolleston or Lincoln if you can't find anything suitable in ChCh itself. The best thing though, would be to have a good look round and get a feel for places once you are over here. There is a shortage of good quality, reasonably priced rentals at the moment due to last years quakes.
As the CBD is out of action, there is no set place for bars/restaurants. Lincoln Road in Addington has quite a few (queueing out the door on Saturday after the Crusaders game :D), Merivale and Riccarton also popular.
As Ray and Debbie said, Palms, Riccarton and Eastgate Malls for shopping. There is also Northlands Mall too. Tower Junction has a good selection of shops too.
Cheap and cheerful for homeware - KMart and Warehouse. Briscoes is also another.
Will it be just the two of you? Anyway, ask away and someone should be able to help you.

BEVS Apr 17th 2012 7:08 am

There is a shortage of good quality, reasonably priced rentals at the moment due to last years quakes.
Is there a place, website, where someone can tap in to find somewhere? We were down in Xch on Friday, with rellies, and finding somewhere reasonable & available to stay for this, a few weeks ago, was a nightmare TBH. I did find a marvellous B&B in the end. Pricey but great.

I've been reading the articles about the shortage of accom and rentals in Xch. If there was a 'pool' type website available that would be good I feel.

chippy64 Apr 17th 2012 8:38 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10009796)
Is there a place, website, where someone can tap in to find somewhere? We were down in Xch on Friday, with rellies, and finding somewhere reasonable & available to stay for this, a few weeks ago, was a nightmare TBH. I did find a marvellous B&B in the end. Pricey but great.

I've been reading the articles about the shortage of accom and rentals in Xch. If there was a 'pool' type website available that would be good I feel.

Hi BEVS, hope you had a good time! :). For hotels/motels etc, I either use jasons.co.nz or wotif.com. For rentals, then Trademe is usually a good start. Where did you stay?

Stormer999 Apr 17th 2012 7:36 pm

Bev's the real estate agents are not very interested in peeps looking for rentals as they say the turn around rate of new options is so fast that if they try to print a flier it is already out of date before going to print. As Chippy says Trademe is the option they recommend. We stayed at a motel opposite Hagley park and the 'Full' sign went up every night of the week!:ohmy:

BEVS Apr 18th 2012 1:41 am

We were only there to deliver cuzzies back to the airport. Went to Willowbank and Ko Tane for their last evening. Willowbank - lovely as always. Ko Tane - not so sure this time round TBH.

Stayed at St James B&B near the airport. Pricey but very good. Normally we'd do a motel or holiday park but that was a no-go . Couldn't get 5 of us in anywhere else much & didn't wish to be on the CBD edge or several stories up.

chippy64 Apr 18th 2012 3:00 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 10011450)
We were only there to deliver cuzzies back to the airport. Went to Willowbank and Ko Tane for their last evening. Willowbank - lovely as always. Ko Tane - not so sure this time round TBH.

Stayed at St James B&B near the airport. Pricey but very good. Normally we'd do a motel or holiday park but that was a no-go . Couldn't get 5 of us in anywhere else much & didn't wish to be on the CBD edge or several stories up.

For accom near the airport - stayed here night before I went to Raro with my VBF from Wales. It's the newest built hotel in ChCh and they do rooms that can take upto 6 people. http://www.airportpalmsmotelchch.co.nz/index.html

BEVS Apr 18th 2012 6:02 am

St James B&B

Really rather lovely hostess who offred us tea and a bun when we arrived & sent us all on our way with peach muffins after we'd had a full English :)

Brennans Apr 18th 2012 7:36 pm

Many thanks for all your replies. I am a nurse and my husband is a plasterer, our son Daniel is 17. Can anyone tell us how to get my husband Wayne's tools over there, battery powered tools and plastering/rendering and taping tools. He will need to start work before the container arrives! Thanks :)

Stormer999 Apr 18th 2012 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by Brennans (Post 10013131)
Many thanks for all your replies. I am a nurse and my husband is a plasterer, our son Daniel is 17. Can anyone tell us how to get my husband Wayne's tools over there, battery powered tools and plastering/rendering and taping tools. He will need to start work before the container arrives! Thanks :)

To get tools over before the container arrives will involve Airfreight which is expensive. PSS movers offer 25 kg free Airfreight as part of their deal but will still cosy approx £75 on custome Maf charges.